• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Post Your PC Specs

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Speccy-NOIVERN-G56JR.png

That's the specifications of the laptop I'm currently using, in a nutshell, courtesy of Speccy.

If anyone wants more information on exactly what's in the laptop, well, I'll happily oblige.

First, the CPU! It's an Intel Core i7-4700HQ. It has four hyper-threaded cores, giving me a total of eight usable threads. Its base clock speed is 2.4 GHz, and it can turbo all the way up to about 3.4 GHz if need be. Couple all that with the Haswell microarchitecture's high instruction throughput, well, you don't really need to have anything better, right? Also, comes with Intel HD Graphics 4600.

The memory comes second. There are two SODIMMs of DDR3-1600 installed on the laptop, and each are 4 GB in capacity. I have 8 GB of usable memory on the system. Though, slightly over 100 MB are reserved for the hardware, but it's a small drop compared to the rest. Timings are 11-11-11-28, and it's running on dual-channel mode.

The motherboard is a laptop motherboard. It's specialized and designed for this particular laptop (series). Not much else is interesting about it, aside from the fact that it's host to all the other components inside my laptop. It does support USB 3.0, though.

There are actually two graphic processors inside the laptop. The display processor is the Intel HD Graphics 4600. It works nicely on the desktop and makes the laptop sip power when I'm not playing a recent video game on the laptop. I also prefer how colour management is handled by Intel graphics drivers, too.

The render processor is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M. It handles the hard work of 3D graphics processing when it needs to be done. It's mostly a thankless job, but, hey, it does run a lot of things pretty well at 1080p, but at some point I'll have to drop the resolution down - when quality reductions stop being enough, that is. It's hooked up to the Intel graphics via NVIDIA Optimus and its technology, so really, everything has to go through Intel graphics anyway. But not that it really matters, right?

The integrated laptop display is a Samsung eIPS panel that is capable of 6bpc output. Still, the display appears to be reasonably nice under most circumstances - in fact, this is actually my first laptop that has a display that's more than halfway decent. Standard RGB matrix, maximum 60 Hz refresh rate, some perceptible pixel blurring. It has a matte display cover. I Binged the part number of the display panel, by the way.

The 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO is actually bought after-the-fact. I find it to be a nice thing to have since it pretty much makes everything snappy as heck when I'm not in power-saving mode, where the CPU becomes the bottleneck instead for a reason. Non-critical firmware bugs that are patched up anyway aside, it has been trucking along nicely.

Yeah, that's an optical drive you're looking at. I find it a really nice thing to have, anyway - I find myself burning discs more often than I'd like, so a system with no optical drive is just adding additional baggage to everything. External optical drives are just yet another thing to carry, to be honest.

Tolkin

Meowstic
Years
Meh, it's an okay build, the processor is overclocked to 5.3GHz. Planning to get an SSD before I upgrade to windows 10.

ff242b94e54430dc445966842defdfee.png

Flannery Lue

Soul Sister
Years
I've actually built three computers. (Well, I mean that I have three computers currently built. I've built far more than three computers. >.>) The original reason behind why I had three has changed however. I originally had one specifically for Gaming, one for nothing but Media, and the last one to host a MineCraft server. My gaming PC's motherboard had an odd dislike for Windows 7 sound drivers, so I built the second PC, my Media one. I had five screens hooked up across the three computers, and I could have had a sixth, but I decided that one screen was enough for the Server PC.

Anywho, here are my three computer's specs.

This one was my server PC, untill I stopped hosting; now I'm using it for gaming:
xPY7pOL.png

This is my Media PC, that I no longer need to use, because my server PC has working sound:
ciBiXDy.png

And this is the computer that I used for gaming, before I started using my server one again:
tpmOu1H.png

Here's my setup as of 21/06/2015:
Mind the messy room...
Spoiler:

Tons of computer parts laying around, and clothes flung pell-mell everywhere.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Here's the desktop I just bought today, for $90 no less:
Zi3tfJ2.png

My old daily driver, a Sony Vaio, has these specs (it runs Linux):
CPU: Intel Core i5-2450M 2C/4T @ 2.5GHz, 32nm Sandy Bridge
RAM: 2x4GB mixed-speed DDR3 SODIMM
Storage: Intel Cherryville 520 Series SSD, 120GB SATA III
Storage: Toshiba 160GB 2.5" HDD, enclosed as external w/ USB 3.0
Display: 16:9 768p built-in LCD
Keyboard: 86-key built-in keyboard, scissor switches
Mouse: Built-in trackpad + Lenovo wireless laser mouse

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Captur.png

Posting my Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E525 I just pulled out of retirement to install Windows 10 on a couple weeks ago. It's not an especially fast computer but it does me well for my laptop needs. Considering installing a SSD or doubling the RAM.

Also swapped my ASUS monitor for a 32" Samsung TV on my HP tower.

Sir Codin

Good, but not as awesome as I'd like. I plan on upgrading the GPU, RAM, and CPU once I'm in the money.

carodinspecs.jpg~original

I want 16 GB RAM, any GPU capable of running DOOM 4, and an i5 processor (you don't need a fucking i7 for gaming, stop buying them)

BTW, that Motherboard at over 110 degrees Celsius has me worried. Any way to fix that?

Last edited:

Alexander Nicholi

Years
Good, but not as awesome as I'd like. I plan on upgrading the GPU, RAM, and CPU once I'm in the money.

I want 16 GB RAM, any GPU capable of running DOOM 4, and an i5 processor (you don't need a fucking i7 for gaming, stop buying them)

BTW, that Motherboard at over 110 degrees Celsius has me worried. Any way to fix that?
Your only option is phase change cooling, seriously. Or move out of hell and cool your room down, that's another idea.

Sir Codin

I have seen reports of Piriform giving inaccurate reports on temperature, though.

Azelfino

Willpower
Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2016
I'm planning to buy a PC desktop soon after turning over my Macbook Air.
These are the specs I'm looking at that are within my maximum budget:

- Intel Quad Core i7-4790 Processor 3.6Ghz (8M Cache, Max Turbo Frequency 4.0 GHz)
-
Gaming Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR III 1600Mhz System Memory With Low Latency
-
Genuine Microsoft Windows 8.1 64Bit
-
Asus or Gigabyte B85 Chipset S1150/4DDR3/USB3/HDMI
-
1000GB (1TB) Serial ATA Solid State Hybrid Drive
-
2GB nVidia Geforce GTX750 - GDDR5 - PCIE3.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA
-
Integrated High Definition Audio Chipset
-
Wireless AC1200 Dual Band (2.4GHz & 5.0GHz) Internal Card

Sir Codin

Okay, so after some talking and studying, I can conclude that the 110 degree Celsius reading I'm getting for this desktop is bullshit.

At 233 degrees Fahrenheit, the computer would smell like it's burning and I don't smell anything, nor does the outtake fan seem to be blowing out air that feels like the 9th Circle of Hell. Not to mention if it really was at 110 degrees Celsius, I'd get automatic safety shut-offs up the ass.

Most likely, it's a faulty sensor, which I'm sending in to get repaired anyway, because when the time comes that there is a genuine problem, I don't want an inaccurate reading.

Years

Out of curiosity, have you dusted off your computer recently? If not, then definitely open it up and get some compressed air sprayed into the inside. That should cool your machine off some, and it may even reduce that faulty reading.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
Seconding Zach's suggestion to blow out the inside of your computer with compressed air if you haven't lately. Also, I've found that HWMonitor is pretty good for temperature readings, so you might want to try that and see what it reports.

Sir Codin

Well, I'm taking it to Fry's this weekend anyway to get it looked at. Dust or no dust, heat or no heat, I wanna see if I truly got my money's worth.

Also, I'm not opening the case unless I'm absolutely sure it won't void the warranty.

Years
Also, I'm not opening the case unless I'm absolutely sure it won't void the warranty.
Opening a computer case for doing general maintenance (such as cleaning the dust out of it) should not void the warranty. If it does, then whoever sold you the tower needs to rethink their policy because maintenance is a must for these things.

Last edited:
Years
Why not.

h6YxhTk.png

Need to get some more ram soon and then jump to a GTX 960 or something, but I think I'm good for the most part.

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
Years
CPU is overclocked to 4.2 Ghz and still runs very cool while gaming (rarely exceeds 40°C) so 4.4 or 4.5 is an option as well.
GPU is sometimes overclocked when running heavy games. Since installing 2 new fans and improving airflow it rarely hits 75 and never goes above. Most of the times in the high 60s.

pSJ4Ti.png

Alexander Nicholi

Years
I'm planning to buy a PC desktop soon after turning over my Macbook Air.
These are the specs I'm looking at that are within my maximum budget:

- Intel Quad Core i7-4790 Processor 3.6Ghz (8M Cache, Max Turbo Frequency 4.0 GHz)
-
Gaming Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR III 1600Mhz System Memory With Low Latency
-
Genuine Microsoft Windows 8.1 64Bit
-
Asus or Gigabyte B85 Chipset S1150/4DDR3/USB3/HDMI
-
1000GB (1TB) Serial ATA Solid State Hybrid Drive
-
2GB nVidia Geforce GTX750 - GDDR5 - PCIE3.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA
-
Integrated High Definition Audio Chipset
-
Wireless AC1200 Dual Band (2.4GHz & 5.0GHz) Internal Card
Hey, since you haven't bought yet, I suggest you wait a little bit and buy a Skylake + H170/H110 system. Broadwell was a failure and Haswell is certainly on its way out... no sense getting stuck with last-gen products unless you already bought. You could also get the 6600K right now if you wanted to.

Etherion

New netbook specs :3
If it isn't a bother, can I ask you guys something? Umm, would this netbook be possible for gaming? If so, what are its limits?

Azelfino

Willpower
Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2016
Hey, since you haven't bought yet, I suggest you wait a little bit and buy a Skylake + H170/H110 system. Broadwell was a failure and Haswell is certainly on its way out... no sense getting stuck with last-gen products unless you already bought. You could also get the 6600K right now if you wanted to.

I haven't bought yet, still doing some research. This is the first time I've looked into parts and what not. I'm also thinking just to buy a normal desktop instead of a gaming one. I was interested in gaming but I'd probably barely get to play because of real life. Wii U and new 3DS is enough for me for now.

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
Years
Why not.

h6YxhTk.png

Need to get some more ram soon and then jump to a GTX 960 or something, but I think I'm good for the most part.

The 960 will definitely be an improvement over the 750 Ti, but not SO much. The 960 is basically a revamped and improved 760. The 750 Ti is in the same line of a HD 7790 to 7850, and the 960 is a little faster than a 7950/R9 280 so maybe you should save some more money and go for a 970 or a 280X from AMD.

Back