• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pre-Evolutions, Final Evolutions & Previous Pokémon [ #5 ]

Should GameFreak have kept other generation Pokémon in the game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Pre-Evolutions, Final Evolutions & Previous Pokémon:

So I'm sure you've seen Mamanbou, Emonga, and a few others that have a similar appearance to other previous generation Pokémon. Do you think Nintendo could have made some of them a pre or final evolution to some of the new Pokémon to the previous ones? ...And do you believe it wouldn't be that hurtful to a new start towards the new generation if they still included the other gen Pokémon?

Explain your theories (of similarity between two Pokémon from Gen V to the previous gens) and opinions of the similarities as well as giving your thoughts on the old Pokémon not being included until after the National Pokédex.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Do you think Nintendo could have made some of them a pre or final evolution to some of the new Pokémon to the previous ones?
    From what I gathered there approach was to start from anew since 1. The routes reset, 2. You cannot catch pokemon from previous generation until National Dex(as you mentioned). Including previous evolutions would take away from the vibe of starting out fresh which is what I think they had in mind with this generation. Black and White being simple colors maybe they wanted to keep in simple perhaps?

And do you believe it wouldn't be that hurtful to a new start towards the new generation if they still included the other gen Pokémon?
    From the approach they were taking wish is starting out new yes I do. Some people complained how 4th Generation had to much pre-evolutions and evolutions of previous pokemon so not they are doing the opposite and not including any. I got the feeling people were tired of encountered older generation pokemon in about every Region like Zubat, Tentacool, Geodude, Pikachu, Abra, and so forth. So to eliminate that factor from in is a change of pace for many people.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    I like the fresh new start with tons of new Pokemon~ =D Though some old Pokemon should've recieved evolutions/pre-evolutions/Eeveelutions. XD I don't care about previous Gen. Pokemon, only if there is new evolutions for them... So I'm sort of in between.

Years
    I love what they've done with B/W. No previous generation Pokemon to give it a more fresh feeling. Before B/W was released, I was really hoping for some evolutions and pre-evolutions. But now, I'm fine the way it is. There's always next generation anyways. :3

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Fl
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I really like that it was only Generation V Pokemon. I completed my national dex in SoulSilver...so seeing those Pokemon all over again, when it is supposed to be a new generation of Pokemon would be really boring even though I do love all the Generation I-IV Pokemon. I love the fresh start.

Anyways, it wouldn't make sense for their to be previous generation Pokemon in the game, because the entire point of Isshu is that it is very far away from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh.

Also, Generation I-IV Pokemon aren't excluded permanently, you can get them post-game and you can transfer them over from previous games. So it's not like we're missing out on anything.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
    The only major problem I have with Black and White is the fact that Buffuron and Mamanbou have no evolutionary relation to Tauros and Luvdisc, respectively. Seriously, Gamefreak? They could have had it like Diamond and Pearl, where you couldn't catch the Electabuzz and Magmar, etc., before the E4, but still they evolved into the new Pokemon Electivire and Magmortar. Every time I see Buffuron and Mamanbou I feel let down.

I voted for "They should have had made some pre and final evos for previous Pokémon."

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    Although Tauros and Buffuron look alike, they are two completely different types of species. Tauros = Bull. Buffuron = Buffalo. That kinda thing only works with Magikarp/Feebas.

I like how they kept a fresh start. but it would of been nice to see some old Pokemon appear with new evolutions.

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Fl
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    The only major problem I have with Black and White is the fact that Buffuron and Mamanbou have no evolutionary relation to Tauros and Luvdisc, respectively. Seriously, Gamefreak? They could have had it like Diamond and Pearl, where you couldn't catch the Electabuzz and Magmar, etc., before the E4, but still they evolved into the new Pokemon Electivire and Magmortar. Every time I see Buffuron and Mamanbou I feel let down.

I voted for "They should have had made some pre and final evos for previous Pokémon."

Me too! I'm really ticked off about that.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years

I totally agree with you. Personally, I felt Tauros can be a lot more interresting with an evolution of its own. I just feel like "really?" when I see Buffuron and not think about Tauros. As for Mamanbou...Definetly.

tkallab

Should have been in Dissidia
    Years
    I don't really like it that everything is new, but I can manage. There are just so many mistakes that shouldn't have been made. The most important one being of course Luvdisc not evolving into Mamanbou. And doesn't anyone find it weird that there are actually some earlier generation Pokémon in Isshu, but only in the east half?

I actually hoped Black and White would be like Ruby and Sapphire; no communication with older games, just a few older Pokémon in the region that are mostly overlooked, and having to wait for a new remake to get your older Pokémon. Now that's a fresh start for ya!

I probably contradicted myself somewhere in this post... But I'm tired, so it's okay.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    ...omg girl, reading your first post confuses me. XD

I'm glad they didn't include the previous Pokemon. Really, after DPPt, we didn't need new evolutions because they spoiled so many Pokemon. Sure we could have got evolutions or pre-evolutions for ones that did need it, but then we were at risk of getting bad evolutions. I would've preferred if there were 150 only Pokemon, too, like the original generation, but hey the Pokemon (except a few) we have are fine.

I don't think it's fair that Mamanbou especially gets so much hate, mainly because it isn't the evolution of Luvdisc. On its own, the Pokemon looks pretty awesome imo, plus a lot of other Pokemon look similar too that nobody bothers to complain about (or even take the roles of, that is), like Kurimiru, Doredia, Munna, Koromori, Tabuune, Mamepato, etc, the popular ones everyone likes but aren't referred to as much as Mamanbou. I say this because I've noticed a trend of people disliking it mainly for that reason, which kinda sucks, because these new Pokemon fill the roles of those and that should be good enough.

All in all, I'm all good with the fact that we didn't get new evolutions. Oh and then there's the fact that only 27 Pokemon didn't get evolutions in B/W (if I counted correctly), which is a pretty small number thinking about it, suggesting that in future games, there won't be any evolutions of any older Pokemon, including B/W. I know I've said that before, but I wanted to say it again, sooo yeah.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    I would have liked previous gen pokemon. It is unrealistic to have a completely new start (I know pokemon is never realistic). I don't know why but I just feel that there should have been pokemon from all 5 gens in Isshu, it just seems kind of empty I guess.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years

I agree with you I mean Luvdisc NEEDED a evolution and every time I see Mamanbou I'll think it should have been the one reason besides the Pokedex entry and Heart Scales to catch a Luvdisc. I would have also liked to see a few familiar faces such as Magikarp. I mean what's fishing without finding Magikarp every few goes.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    They should have had made some pre and final evos for previous Pokémon.
    ^ I choose this option.
    I really wanted to see the pre and final evolutions for some Pokemon like Kangaskhan. It would have been fun if this region had some connection with the previous ones. ;_;

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

Yeah...either that or utilize Incenses again. It just feels like such a waste when frail Pokemon like Luvdisc keep on getting shafted on new evos...

...omg girl, reading your first post confuses me. XD

I'm glad they didn't include the previous Pokemon. Really, after DPPt, we didn't need new evolutions because they spoiled so many Pokemon. Sure we could have got evolutions or pre-evolutions for ones that did need it, but then we were at risk of getting bad evolutions. I would've preferred if there were 150 only Pokemon, too, like the original generation, but hey the Pokemon (except a few) we have are fine.

I don't think it's fair that Mamanbou especially gets so much hate, mainly because it isn't the evolution of Luvdisc. On its own, the Pokemon looks pretty awesome imo, plus a lot of other Pokemon look similar too that nobody bothers to complain about (or even take the roles of, that is), like Kurimiru, Doredia, Munna, Koromori, Tabuune, Mamepato, etc, the popular ones everyone likes but aren't referred to as much as Mamanbou. I say this because I've noticed a trend of people disliking it mainly for that reason, which kinda sucks, because these new Pokemon fill the roles of those and that should be good enough.

All in all, I'm all good with the fact that we didn't get new evolutions. Oh and then there's the fact that only 27 Pokemon didn't get evolutions in B/W (if I counted correctly), which is a pretty small number thinking about it, suggesting that in future games, there won't be any evolutions of any older Pokemon, including B/W. I know I've said that before, but I wanted to say it again, sooo yeah.

Personally, I liked Gen 4's pre-evos and evos. Only Lickilicky seems a bit forced. I was a bit averse towards Probopass and Magnezone at first, but have gradually warmed up to them. I don't hate Mamenbou; I actually think it has a great design. I'm just a bit annoyed that we have so many Expies this Generation when they would've worked as great evos of past Pokemon, IMO. If Game Freak is going to bother to make standalone, non-evolving Pokemon, they should take care to have them not resemble old Pokemon and be adequate statwise...

On a side-note, since this Gen is a supposed rebirth, they could've done away with all the Incenses, unless specifically needed for certain Pokemon.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Although I would have liked to see some evolutions to some previous Pokemon (like Farfetch'd, Dunsparce, etc.), I do like the feel of only new Pokemon. I voted the middle one. Although, they could have just added evolutions to previous Pokemon but only had them in the national Pokedex.

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
    Years
    I like that they started the game with all new pokemon, it made the game feel fresh and new BUT I think they should have made some evolutions for some of the more weaker pokemon from other generations.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I hope that next gen goes ahead and doesn't go the BW route as I like seeing old pokemon getting new additions to their lines, poor Farfetch' still has to wait another gen to get an evolution...or more...

Back