• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Preferred writing utensil?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    Note to mods: This is for writing IN GENERAL, not for story writing.

So, what do you prefer? Pen or pencil? Do you have a certain one you write with for certain things? Or do you prefer one or the other for really anything?

For me, I prefer pencils all the way. The reason being that I make a shit ton of errors and typos when I write things. Pens always end up frustrating me because of that reason alone. However, if it's for a quick note or writing on the calendar, I will use a pen. I just don't like them when I'm having to write a long period of time. >< Yes, I know what white-out is too

What about you?

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I'm basically the exact same way.

Pencil for more long term use. The ability to remove errors is immensely valued. And I'm more comfortable with it in general because I sketch a lot for art. More specifically though, mechanical pencils because they are reusable and don't need to be sharpened. However, I prefer pens for quick things. Like writing an appointment date or something. Just because it's easier to see and there aren't many mistakes to be made there. I like being able to see these sorts of things from a distance and the boldness of a pen cannot be beaten by a pencil. I especially like space pens, because you can use them to write any time without having to worry about that ink backing up issue that is really annoying. You just pick it up and write! Simplifies the whole "need this pen to write something real quick" thing.

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
    Years
    I like using those fine point sharpies. My handwriting always comes out neater with it.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
    For most things I use a pencil, and it's always the Bic mechanical pencils with the grips. They have great erasers. {XD}

I do have this one green pen that's fine tipped and I'll use that every now and then, but I hate using white-out or scribbling out a mistake. I'd much rather just erase it.

Adore

Party.
    Years
    I'll take whatever I have available, but if I have an option I'll take a (preferably mechanical) pencil over a pen. I make a ton of mistakes when I write. Even without syntax errors, my handwriting is still chicken scratch, so I have to change letters just for legibility sometimes (my lowercase r's sometimes look more like v's, for instance). That changes a lot for more specific kinds of writing though. Like for hand lettering and typography I usually sketch out the letters in pencil and go over them with a micron pen.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    I'll take whatever I have available, but if I have an option I'll take a (preferably mechanical) pencil over a pen. I make a ton of mistakes when I write. Even without syntax errors, my handwriting is still chicken scratch, so I have to change letters just for legibility sometimes (my lowercase r's sometimes look more like v's, for instance).

This is how I am. My 2's actually like look mirrored 6's. I do take whatever is available, but as you said, I prefer a mechanical pencil. I use them literally all the time. I also have to use pencil grips because I grip my pencils with so much force and also write with force. Without the grips, I would get a wicked cramp in my hand/wrist/fingers. :c The pencil grips somehow take the pressure off and make writing a little less painful for me.

For most things I use a pencil, and it's always the Bic mechanical pencils with the grips. They have great erasers. {XD

Bic is my go-to mechanical pencil. I bought a whole pack of them at Staples, but they don't have grips. So, I found an older one that was broken that had a grip on it and stole it's grip for the pack I got of them. Bic are the best kind for me. I also use 0.9 lead as well because again... I grip hard and write with a lot of force. I can't really help it. It's like some sort of odd impulsive I have or something. For pens though, I'll use basically anything as long as it's not papermate ones. They are far too cheap to me, and maybe I just have bad luck with them but... they always run out on me after writing a few words. ><

Here are some of my favorite pens/pencil:

Spoiler:

The first one: Again, as I said above... this is a Bic pencil with a thick, clear, glittery pencil grip (from another Bic one that had a grip, but it was broken). I have others like this as well. It's a 0.9 one, and I adore Bic for their mechanical pencils because I use them constantly!

Second one: This one is neat because it's made from recycled materials like plastic bottles. I have ones in blue, black and red too. I got them years ago at Walgreen's during the back to school sales. I don't use them much, but I just thought it was neat they were made from recycled materials. You don't see that everyday! This one is a Pilot pen, which in my opinion is a pretty good brand.

Third one: I LOVE LOVE LOVE these. I use these more for my VAs when they sign my autograph books. They are so fluid-like and come out extremely smooth and such. They are called Uni-ball. I seriously adore them. They hardly ever run dry halfway through writing things. I like having a bunch of these because of how smooth the ink is when you write!

Again, I'll use anything that's available in most cases. However, there's always the case where the pen I've grabbed has died. So, it's often frustrating to find one that actually works. There are ton of the lying around, and they die because they lose the caps and get really old I think.

Luckily, I take pretty good care of my pens/pencils in a Death Note pouch. :3 Well, at least I have been recently. XD I figure if I keep them in this pouch that I'll know where exactly they are. So, if I need one of them... I can just access them in my little pencil bag. ^^ To Death Note fans who ask: I got the pouch at Saboten, my anime convention. Unfortunately, it was a long time ago though. I'm not sure it can be found again sorry.

Last edited:
    Years
    Pens all the way. Pencils are for drawing. :P But no, I actually keep around a small collection of pens of various colors for the sole purpose of writing things down. Color picked is whatever I feel like at the moment, and yeah I do make plenty of mistakes with the pens, but I'm usually jotting things down to remind myself later so I don't care about how neat things end up being.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    I used to be obsessed with writing with pens, but since I ran out of pens and never bought any more, I am used to pencils. I prefer pencils now.

Bay

Years
    Pens for me as it feels more nice to me. Unless I'm writing an essay for school, I don't like how with pencils the writing would fade overtime. I tend to make mistakes too and cross out things, but a lot of times that's when I'm writing something else like a list.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    literally who writes anything nowadays

if I'm using a pen or pencil for something, it's to sign my signature or write a quick note for someone to read
    anything & everything else is left to more advanced technology

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I love mechanical pencils. They're always sharp and really easy to write with. You can erase things easily, and the only con is that pencil fades over time. I tend to do a lot of writing, since I'm handwriting my next novel attempt, and I always reach for one of my mechanical pencils.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I was gonna be facetious and give a really terrifying answer, but decided against it. Anyway, I use pens usually, as a writing utensil. Pencils, if I'm feeling lucky and wanna make more mistakes.

Years
    I have terrible fine motor control that results in terrible, terrible handwriting. So I prefer to type over write by hand whenever I can get away with it.

Years
    I think I've got maybe one or two pencils in my entire house, haha.

Pretty much since middle school, I've preferred pens over pencils if I'm writing anything. And if I get the choice, a nice black, gel based pen is my go to writing utensil. Though, I actually have an erasable pen at work that's really good, and I'm always surprised at how well it erases.

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    My handwriting looks awful if I use anything other than a pencil. Work is the only place I have to write anything anymore and colleagues sometimes have a hard time reading it because it'll be in biro.

Toweleeeie

Don't Forget to Bring a Towel
    Years
    I guess I prefer pens > pencils... But I think what's worth more adding is that ever since 9th grade I have only used Zebra F-301 pens (and pencils, M-301). Just something I love about writing with them. Any other Zebra fans out there?? haha

Back