• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

**Premonition**

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
    I've been a bit itchy to write something lately. So, I decided to write about one of the underrated characters of the Pokemon anime: Max. Yeah, I used to hate the little guy when Pokemon Advanced Generation started, but, I've grown to like him. ^-^ Note that this story was for fun, so you don't need to get too critical, though I wouldn't mind if you did. *shrugs* Now for a short summary:

Max feels he is finally ready to recieve his first pokemon. Though he has been feeling a bit off lately, as if something were coming and it wasn't going to be easy. However, what begins as a strange feeling and a beginning of a journey ends up becoming a race to save a dear friend's life. Hopefully, with a little help, Max can stand up to the job.

Okay, onto the first chapter:

Premonition

Chapter 1: A Call​

Rain pattered heavily at the window of a small house. Swirling clouds gathered in the sky above from the increased wind; it was positively stormy. Barely anyone was passing through the street that could be seen from the lit window. It was darkened and gray out, the streetlights were even on it was so dim, and in the window was the reflection of a boy. He was young, almost old enough to be a teenager, and he peered outside with a frown, his glasses slipping slightly over his deep, brown eyes.

?When is this rain going to let up already?? he asked, sounding anxious, ?It?s been like this for three days.? He turned suddenly from the window, as if looking at it would only make him more frustrated, and stared back into the warm, cozy living room of his house.

A teenage girl came walking up to him as she held a magazine entitled, ?Coordinator?s Consultant? and reached out to his head, ruffling his dark navy hair as she went by. ?Max just calm yourself, you?ll get your pokemon soon enough,? she said, finally sitting at an old orange and brown chair.

Max frowned again, ?Easy for you to say, May, you already have one; more than one in fact!? He folded his arms and plopped down onto the oddly-colored matching couch. ?I don?t mind waiting really, but I just feel so anxious,? he said, a serious tone coming into his voice.

He had been anxious. Though, he wasn?t entirely sure why; he should be happy and excited, but for some reason he had this ominous feeling as if something big was about to happen. It was really strange, and he had never quite felt that way before. Max had been perfectly happy a week ago?.

A week ago, he had been traveling with friends, traveling all around with Ash and Brock, and sharing in part of his sister?s journey too. They were taking a short break in Max and May?s hometown for a while right now though. Max was going to try and obtain his first pokemon while they rested. On his journeying so far, Max had met up with many dangerous things, and he had seen many beautiful and gentle things as well. They had traveled around for almost two years. He had even bonded with several pokemon along the way; but he doubted he would ever see them again.

First, and most spectacular, he met up with Jirachi; a pint-sized legendary pokemon with the power to give health and vitality to the whole world. The two had bonded in a way that only children could bond. Max had survived death-defying stunts and extreme danger for the little guy, and had to learn the pain of saying good-bye to a friend. Though, Jirachi was a pokemon that only came around once in a thousand years; Max would surely never see it again.

Secondly, but the most vivid of all his memories, was Ralts. A pokemon he had met up with when it was really sick. Max had been separated from his friends, and he had to take care of the thing and protect it all on his own. It in turn protected him when he needed it, and the two had agreed that someday they should try to meet up again. Max had realized then that he would need to wait to get his first pokemon. He was still too young at the time and incapable of protecting much. It had taken all of his efforts to save that little thing. However, Max didn?t even remember the exact place that this pokemon had lived in, and doubted that it would want to join up with some amateur trainer now.

Lastly, but certainly not least, was Spoink. This pokemon had taken a while to become bonded with Max. Actually, it had been Spoink that first liked Max. It had followed the traveling group of kids around secretly, attempting to get Max to like it, but just as it was about to accomplish something, it would lose the beautiful pinkish pearl from atop its head. Max had only just caught on a while back; when Spoink had been cornered by some ferocious pokemon and Max dived in to save it after realizing that a bout of good things that, at the time, he had considered luck were actually the doing of Spoink. They had saved each other, and the clumsy little Spoink had wanted to become Max?s pokemon, but Max again had refused its request. He wanted to be sure he was ready. He wanted his father?s approval of his skills.

As he thought about these three, he thought of the one thing that had happened strangely each of those times. Each of those times he had actually had a psychic connection with the pokemon. He had heard Jirachi when no one else had, and it had chosen him for reasons only it was aware of to become friends with. Ralts had called to him when it was in trouble psychically. Spoink had not spoken to him like that when they first met, but during the danger of the last encounter, the little pig had spoken to him using his mind as the others had.

Max didn?t know why he had kept this secret from everyone else. He just seemed to think it was for the best, and he also didn?t want to look too weird in front of the others. It had been something he had wondered about though, and the more he tried to put it in the back of his mind, the more it seeped up to the surface of his thoughts.

A few seconds went by and suddenly Max?s father came walking in from the kitchen where Brock and Ash were helping Max?s mother with the dinner clean-up. A tall and handsome man, he looked bemusedly at his growing son, and stopped in front of the boy to address him.

?Max?? he said in his deep voice, ?Ready to get your pokemon?? He smiled.

Max nodded. ?If this rain would just let up,? he said, glaring for a moment at the rain-splattered window.

?Well,? began his father, ?Professor Birch told me that he has a good lineup of starters this time and if you wanted you could--.?

?No,? Max interrupted firmly, ?Thanks Dad, but I really don?t want one of those starters. I want? I want?.? But what he really wanted he couldn?t have; there was no way any of them could ever find him. To make things worse, now he had probably angered his father by interrupting his kind-hearted request.

May had looked up from her magazine and was frowning. ?Oh come on Max, how are you supposed to become a trainer when you?ve got no pokemon!? she said shrilly, staring hard at him.

Max remained silent. He wasn?t sure how to answer this and didn?t even know why he refused to want those starters anyway. There was just this feeling inside that told him to wait. He had felt this way ever since he had decided to become a trainer a week ago. ?What am I waiting for?!? he thought bitterly, ?May?s right. I should just pick a starter pokemon. This tension of becoming a trainer is really getting to me I guess?.?

?I?m sorry; I guess I don?t know what I?m talking about. I just had this weird feeling I can?t really describe. Like something was coming and I was just waiting for it to get here. Weird huh?? he said, smiling nervously. May raised an eyebrow and was about to speak up when their father spoke.

?Ah, well, I think you?re reading too much into your feelings Max. Best to just try to relax about this; I mean, after all, it?s not like you don?t know what you?re getting into out there. You?ve seen Ash, Brock and May so you shouldn?t worry too much,? he said, patting Max on the shoulder, ?If you need any help though you can always call me up.?

?No thank you,? Max said shortly. He was always being offered help. Did anyone think he could do things on his own?

?I understand,? his father replied, smiling at Max, ?You?re mother?s right Max. You are an awful lot like someone I know. Determined to do it themselves, loyal to the friends they make, and at times a little hot-headed and pompous.?

Max looked up curiously, ?Who?s that??

His father smiled wider, ?Me. Well, the younger me. I was exactly like you when I was your age.?

As Max lay down to bed that night in his dimly-lit bedroom full of decorations of various pokemon, his mind was swarming with ideas. He finally settled on one right before falling asleep, a memory of a conversation he had been a part of a week ago?.

?You?re going to become a pokemon trainer! Finally!? exclaimed Ash, his fluffy black hair bouncing slightly as he nodded acceptingly for Max. His yellow rabbit-mouse like pokemon Pikachu bounded up his back and settled softly on his shoulder.

?Pii,? it said, giving Max the thumbs-up sign.

Max smiled and looked a bit embarrassed about all of the praise, ?Yeah, well, I decided that this was the time, and Dad agreed so?.?

Ash smiled back, ?Are you gonna get your first pokemon now??

Shaking his head, Max replied, ?No. I?m going to read up on a few things first. I?ve got to study about being a trainer before I actually become one.?

?But you?ve been traveling with trainers for almost three years now!? Ash protested, confused, ?Shouldn?t that have been enough??

For normal people, yes. However, Max was the kind of person that liked to have all avenues thought of, all possibilities checked out, and all of the knowledge he could get his hands on.

?Don?t worry Ash. I?ll get mine when the time comes. I?m really not in any hurry,? he replied, smiling again. Ash was so much more energetic than he was about being a trainer. Though Max loved the idea, he just didn?t have the same amount of passion?.

In his thoughts, Max began to drift off to sleep, and soon found himself in a strange place. It must have been a dream; he was in some sort of dark place. It was cramped, and cold, and he could barely see. Things seemed to have a purple hue to them, and when he tried to move his arm he couldn?t. In fact, he couldn?t move anything! He tried to speak, but nothing would come out, and he began to panic. Why didn?t anyone help him? Muffled voices could be heard. Who were these people, and why had they disturbed him like this? As the panic of something bad about to happen heightened to an almost unbearable point, a strangely familiar, feminine voice spoke aloud. It sounded like it came from all directions.

?Max. Help me Max. I am trying to find you, but I do not know where you are.?

Max sat up in his bed, not quite realizing that the dream was over, and tried moving his arms around. He thought for a moment about the voice. Who was that? None of the pokemon that had ever spoken to him before sounded too feminine. Was it perhaps another? Then he heard it again.

?It is so stormy? Max, can you hear me? Oh, I do not even know if this is the correct place to be calling out for you.?

Staring around his room in mild shock, Max wasn?t even sure how to answer. ?Yes, I can hear you!? he said softly, so that he wouldn?t wake any of his family up.

?Max! Oh Max help me! I am at a strange, bare tree and I am tired and injured as well! I am afraid that the wild pokemon of the area will eat me soon. Please? help.?

Already half-dressed, Max stumbled out of his bed. Who was this talking to him? He wanted to ask, but also did not want to distract someone in trouble. He groped around for the knob to his door, and then staggered out into the living room, and out the front door.

It never even occurred to him to ask for help. This felt like something he needed to do on his own.

Meh, it's alright. ^-^ I think I can do better though. Perhaps the next chapter shall be more to my liking. Anyway, comment if you like!

Cyndaquil201

I'm ten and proud
    Years
    o.o
    You just got me addicted.
    I didn't find any mistakes, it seemed like you got Max's personality right, (I don't watch the TV shows, so I truthfully have no clue whether you got it right or not) and now I really want to see what the Pokemon that's contacting Max is. =mumbles to self= Jirachi, Ralts, or Spoink? Jirachi, Ralts, or Spoink?
    Anyways, Cynda wants more. =D

Years
    Wow. I never noticed that Max was actually friends with three Psychic types! Though I know that Max had made friends with Jirachi, and will befriend a Ralts later, does he actually help the Spoink later? (I've only seen episodes in the US and that particular movie. I know about Ralts from reading a summary, but probably missed the Spoink)

I like it lots! You basically hit Max's character right on the mark, which is sorta tough since he's not the most developed character in the series. Kudos to you!

There's only one thing that bothered me, and that's the beginning. Can rain actually "patter hard"? I always thought that pattering was soft...

Other than that one contridition, very good so far! The Psychic conversation could use a little work, but overall, a worthy fanfic to read.

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
    Yay! People like it! XD

cyndaquil: Good, being addicted to reading something is not usually a bad thing. ^-^ Now the trick is keeping you addicted. And thank you for the comments. ^^

dqle: Thanks! Hm... that's a good point about the pattering thing. Perhaps it's not heavy enough to be pouring, but not light enough to be just regular pattering? ... *rolls eyes at herself* Methinks I messed up. XD Anyway, about Max and the psychic types. I did fudge the thing about the Spoink one. I made this story begin a litte in the future of the anime, so I just created this friendship between Spoink and Max. Though, the other two are not made up, and I always thought it interesting how the two pokemon Max connected with most were both psychic types that chose to speak to him and no one else. Not even Ash has had a pokemon speak to him like that; let alone two of them. (Or did Latias? No... wait... I don't remember, I haven't watched that movie in a while ^^;) About the psychic conversation... yeah, I'm not too used to writing psychic pokemon, hopefully those shall get better over time. ^^;

Anyway, thanks for the comments you two. ^-^ You have made my day (which is going to be very sad today for reasons to do with my dog) a little happier.

may2

~Master Coordinater~
    Years
    I don't ussually read these kinds of stories, but this one caught my interest. You use great description and grammer. Keep up the great work, and I hope to see more soon!

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
    Thank you. ^-^ I try my best at grammer, though it might not always come out how I want. XD Description's tough, you really have to work at writing that stuff down. Well, unless you really like it; which I've never known anyone like that. ^^; Anyway, thanks for your nice comment, I should be updating sometime today or tomorrow, depending on how writing my next essay for English goes. >.>

Years
    Hey, now. Don't you be thinking that this fanfic of yours is more important than your essay! If you really need to concentrate on preparing for that essay, think about your fanfic later. I can wait. Besides, your fanfic may be better should you wait a bit longer.

Back