• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Presenting

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
Years
  • -Hopes this is in the right section-

Does anyone have any good tips for people like me who are not good with presenting in front of a huge crowd? I have to present in front of some business people for my school project tomorrow so I'm nervous as heck because of it but it would be great to hear some advice.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • You may want to practice your presentation or memorize your lines by yourself first, and then in front of a few people. Practice makes perfect.

Kelp

<3
    Years
  • Am I the only one who used to think it was pronounced "presentating?" x)

On topic; just relax. Practice is good too, but if you relax and go through your presentation naturally, it'll go much smoother. I'm pretty sure the audience doesn't expect you to have your entire presentation memorized and perfect. So don't stress out on getting all the details, and just get your points across, and the rest will follow.

And don't imagine people in their underwear or however that goes. It doesn't work.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Oh boy. I used to be terrible at this kind of thing. It helps with practice. When and if you can, start out presenting with a group/partner. When that becomes easy, you can honestly do it by yourself.

If you prepare something ahead of time, don't just read from it. It is best to get notes that will remind you of certain things. You want to make eye contact with your audience. I know, it is pretty daunting. When they feel that you are actually talking to them, and not reading, then they will begin to consider you more.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Hmm I think it helps if you think of it as acting. Like what I mean is you should try and act like any speechmakers you remember seeing in the past.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • Hmm I think it helps if you think of it as acting. Like what I mean is you should try and act like any speechmakers you remember seeing in the past.
    Hysterically enough, fascist leaders make great role models for this...

But thinking of it as acting probably won't help, if it doesn't make it even worse...

helix

tea-binger.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 21, 2016
    Hold your confidence and speak earnestly, powerfully, without embarrassment. Likely if you hold yourself with enough power, and show that you're not embarrassed with yourself, people will be much more liable to take your word seriously. Good luck.

Oh, and to take a tip from K-ON!, your audience are not people. Make eye contact, but in your head, they're just objects. Like watermelons. A field of watermelons. >_>

angel

Kairi's Nobody
    Years
  • This is a bad area for me too. What helps me is to practice, practice giving the presentation to a small group, 2 or 3 people, more if you feel up to it. I'd say find people that will be honest with you & help you do better. Like your parents, most parents want the best for their kid & for their kid to do the best they can do.

Your do great at your presentation, just be confident.

Years
  • I do a lot of public speaking for my course and being the chairman of my faculity, so I have it down to a tee.

1. If you are reading off something, never keep your head down and read straight off it. You look like an idiot and you don't engage your crowd.

2. Just take a deep breath and keep calm. Don't do any nervous tells because everyone will home on that.

3. If you have something to read, read and learn it before you talk to the crowd.

4. Never turn your back on the crowd. Always be open and if you need to point them to something on the board or projector, only move your arms and jesture in the direction.

5. NEVER POINT! It is rude and annoying.

6. Keep body language open. So don't fold your arms. Hands behind your back or infront of you. NOT IN YOUR POCKETS.

I think that about covers the important aspects.

Good luck.

Back