• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Press B just as your character throws the ball, and then hold Up...

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    The kids always told me that if you held B it helped raise your chances of capturing Pokemon.

I tried out of curiosity and out of the fact that it wouldn't damage my game in anyway only to discover it never worked.

Oh the days of being a kid.~

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I used to hold down A and B, then let go of A as the ball opened. As the ball shook, I mashed my thumb on the D-Pad clockwise. I don't do that anymore.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
    I still do mash A while the ball is in the air, then hold A when the ball opens then hold A+B when it hits the ground. It doesn't really work of course but I do it out of habit :P

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
    When I was younger, I used to mash the A button as fast as I could as soon as I threw a Pokeball. Then, it changed to holding A when throwing and then B + left simultaneously when it touched the ground and began shaking. Of course, none of those worked and I soon stopped. I still do them for the heck of it once in a while though.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    One day I was sick of attempting to catch Azelf, just using the B button as the pokemon is shut inside, then just seeing that it just pops right back out again. So, I ended up trying a new thing, and it worked, surprisingly, on the last Ultra Ball. Mashing the A button to catch the Azelf, and it worked. Then, attempting to catch Mesprit with the same technique (on red but not at 1 hp) and caught it with the very first Ultra Ball I threw. I think I will now stick to mashing the A button. XD

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years
    "The millisecond that the pokemon enters the pokeball, keep on smashing A+B"

I can't believe that I was so gullible to believe this when I was a kid. But from time to time, when I get frustrated I do this even now.

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
    When I heard about something like this my friend told me to hold down A + B when the ball is thrown, then afterwards you're supposed to move the D-pad left/right following the ball, but I swear this worked for me plenty of times, but I still have my doubts because very rarely does it not work. But I never actually tried it on a legendary, sooooo...

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
    I was always told that alternating between pressing A and B while throwing the ball would increase your chance for a capture. Still do it to this day out of habits lol.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
    I always heard the press down + B button when I was young. Did it for such a long time that now it's just a habit. :P I still almost always do it, particularly when I'm trying to catch a legendary or shiny. xD

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I still watch for the moment the ball closes and then frantically mash the a button as fast as I can and then when it pops out I throw my -insert laptop or gameboy or ds or what have you- at the wall and go throw a temper tantrum before coming back and trying the exact same thing.

Cilicica

Ghost Type Lover ~~
    Years
    I used to think that pressing the L button when it shook to the left and the R button when it shook to the right worked. xD A lot of the time it did (which is what made me believe in it) but of course most of the time it didn't.

greenking13

LORD OF ZHERRY
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    Old habits die hard...

I used to do the "repeated alternately tap A & B button and it would increase catch rate" trick. Suffice to say I know it doesn't work, but every time I do it, it usually happens... I catch it. xD I just remembered, I got into a battle with mewtwo on my old FR and threw a pokeball. I CAUGHT THE DANG THING! Still can't believe it. No damage or anything, just tossed a ball at it. xD

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    What I always do is mash the A button repeatedly, I always thought that doing that would increase the catch rate of the ball. xD

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen today
    I was also a big believer in button mashing. Techniques evolved from mashing just the A button to mashing both A+B and all the arrows on the D-Pad in a circular motion.

This one doesn't pertain to catching Pokemon, but I remembered when I played Pokemon Yellow, I was in the middle of a battle and my Pokemon's HP was quite low - I turned to my friend and asked him what I should do, and just as the opponent made its move, he held down the right arrow on the D-pad and B at the same time, and that had supposedly prevented the hit from knocking out my Pokemon. I believed that for a pretty long time, and always held down right+B as a "buffer" to lessen the blows for my Pokemon.

Back