• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Printing special cards

Years
    • Age 39
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    Does anyone of you have information on how you can print, and what supplies are needed to print/make special cards? Special printers? Special materials? And if so, where could this be bought? In addition, what is needed to create a booster pack (I'm not thinking of what is needed for the fake graphics, but as in what materials, machinery, etc. would be needed to make a real life booster package).

By special cards I mean stuff like holofoils and refractor cards, similar stuff.

I know this is not your regular question, and probably I won't get any answers, but maybe there is one or two of the people here in the faking section that might knowledge. I haven't got any immediate plans on investing, although if my interest for making fake Pokémon TCG cards persists and my new job goes well, I might just try my hand at it. Also, I have some basic ideas for a completely home-brewn TCGs that I would like to see unfolded in real life.

I did try to google up on foils and refractors and that kind of stuff, but mostly came up blank.

Thanks! I appreciate your time and interest in this topic.

P.S. If I manage to squeeze in the time, the last of the current revision of cards for the Gameboy Island Set might be online later today ;)

Mail Jeevas

I need a smoke...
    Years
    I don't really understand one of your questions, but if you are looking for a Holofoil effect to add to your cards, there's a holosheet in the Fake card's tutorial. Besides, I don't think that you can /make/ fake cards into real. I would certainly like to do it, but it must be very expensive to do, because you may need a special printer, a special type of paper (I was thinking of Photo paper, but then again it's too flexible) and the toner for the printer. I'll giuve you an idea I've had and I'm going to use very soon. Take a common holo card (I mean like a Slowpoke or Toodile that has the "common card" marker in the rightmost lower corner). Try to remove the card's image and you'll have a blank card where you can put your new fake card printed in photo paper. I think's it's a great idea, tell me what you think aboot it!

ELGONZO!!!

PS: If you find another way or try the one I gave you, I'd be glad to hear how it went.

Years
    • Age 39
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    Well, I don't think I would want to destroy a card even if it was a common. I like my cards :P

Anyways, I wasn't referring to how to design a holofoil effect in Photoshop, but how to actually print a proper foiled card (hence the title of the thread including the word "printing"). I am well aware that it would most likely be a horrendously expensive thing to do, due to the special equipment and materials that are most likely needed.

What I was asking was what this equipment was, what materials to use, where they could be found (website link), and a quick lowdown on how it actually works. I don't expect anyone to know, as I guess it is only the very few who have dabbled in actually getting it done, and it is immensly hard to get info on it on the web. I just thought I should ask anyways.

x24

Researcher-Sprite Thieves, DIE
    Years
    you really got to shorten ur posts.. I load up ur threads and I get bored of reading and leave.. ur probably better off not printing it out like that.. its probably expensive..

I did a search for 'FOIL PRINTING' and u get a lot of results but most of it is places to buy images thatmhave it already on them.. u might be able to contact someone there to find out how to do it..

Years
    well first off what i got from your thread is you want to print your cards and sell them, just so u know it's against the law!

printing of cards is a challanging task, you have change settings, image sizes and then you will have to buy special photo paper and change the printer setting so i advise that you don't print off your cards.

You have a rest, I'll be seein' ya

Years
    • Age 39
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    x24 said:
    ur probably better off not printing it out like that.. its probably expensive..

Well, as said, price isn't what I'm interested in (yet... although if one does know the prices, I'd like to know). I primarily want to know how to do it and what is needed.

x24 said:
    u might be able to contact someone there to find out how to do it..

I've been browsing and browsing, but have yet to come over an informative page... that is, considering that I don't want to call abroad.

Blennix said:
    well first off what i got from your thread is you want to print your cards and sell them, just so u know it's against the law!

I would want to print my Pokémon cards even if I made any holofoiled ones, but not sell them. I am well aware of the severe breach of copyright/IP policy by doing that.

However, I had ideas for my personal completely own TCG which is NOT related to Pokémon whatsoever. If I should decide to develop it further in addition to my Pokémon cards, I'd like to know.

And people, I didn't ask for recommendations about whether I should print or not, I just asked how to print if I decided to print holofoiled cards.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2014
    Go to Staples or Office Depot, buy holo paper, put it into the printer, and everything on your image that is white will be holo when you print it. Then, cut the card out, and voila!

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2011
    But that would still leave out:

The quality (I'm sur he doesn't want a flimsy bit of poorly printed paper)
    The foil (Not holofoil, remember) Booster wrappers (SO many things wouldn't work with that)
    Colorless Cards (Imagine, reverse yet un reverse Holofoil cards(The picture would still be holo, not just the background, though))
    And other things. Also, on an offtopic little thingy ma bobby, feel free to contact me for any card ideas if you make your own card game. (And if your want some low quality pictures now and then, I could help there)

Sorry, but other then what I have already said. I know nothing on the subject.

Back