• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Problem creating new maps in AM

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2017
    Hey there! :)

I have a problem involving adding new maps in Fire Red using Advance Map 1.92.

Whenever I create and then insert a new map, it gets Pallet Town as its name, and I cannot rename the new map without it also changing the real Pallet Town's name to whatever the new map's name is changed to. It's as if both maps are linked - name-wise, as other elements can be changed without affecting the other map.

Hopefully there will be someone who can tell me what the issue is, and most importantly how to resolve it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hello LanceD. I did what you said, and once you create the map, go to insert map and replace the map you created with Pallet Town. Try that and tell me if it works.

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2017
    No luck :( That is, provided what I did was, in fact, what you meant me to do ~_~

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
  • There are only a finite number of map names that you can use in a ROM hack. What you should be doing is moving your new map so that it is under a name you no longer need/ want and then change the name.

To move a map you need to go to the map's header tab and there should be a drop down box of map names in the upper left corner. Select the one you want your map to go under and then save your ROM. Reload Advance Map by pressing F5 and your map should now be under the name you chose. Edit the name to your liking and that should be it.

Years
  • You should be able to change the map name, I tried my method again and it works. But try what DrFuji says. He knows WAY more than I do.

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2017
    You should be able to change the map name, I tried my method again and it works. But try what DrFuji says. He knows WAY more than I do.

I am able to change the new map's name, but then the real Pallet's name also gets changed into it.

Basically what I'd like is to be able to add new areas to the game without having to sacrifice existing ones.

There are only a finite number of map names that you can use in a ROM hack. What you should be doing is moving your new map so that it is under a name you no longer need/ want and then change the name.

To move a map you need to go to the map's header tab and there should be a drop down box of map names in the upper left corner. Select the one you want your map to go under and then save your ROM. Reload Advance Map by pressing F5 and your map should now be under the name you chose. Edit the name to your liking and that should be it.

So there really is no way but to give up an existing map for each newly created one?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I believe it is possible, but I've never seen anyone want to insert a map and keep all of the existing ones. What you can do is replace a map that you KNOW you don't what to use.

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2017
    So I understand there's no way to add new maps to the game without giving up existing ones. Defeats the purpose of the feature if you ask me; especially if one intends to keep the game the same but just add some new/extra areas to it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2017
    There is a drop down menu to the right of where you're entering the new name that is replacing Pallet Town. Pick one of the many unused options (such as Sevii Isle 24) and replace that name instead. Simple.

I hadn't noticed those. Great tip. Thanks.

Thanks everyone for your input. It seems I'll have to make do with what I've got, then.

Back