• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] Problems with the BW Anime

drgnkpx

Pokemon Master
Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2011
    Okay so I've watched the pokemon anime since its beginning until the actors for the original series were scrapped and the art style redone and the storylines replotted, I don't know exactly when that started, but it ruined the show for me. The current anime series doesn't feel like the Pokemon I remember and grew up with, it just kind of sucks. And here's my example:

I'm a subscriber to Nintendo Power, and they sent me an issue that included a dvd copy of the first episode of black and white in last months issue. I hadn't watched a pokemon episode for several years now except for the first season box set and the movies, so I thought I'd look at the new series just out of curiosity. What a surprise I had in store.
    First off, Ash's eyes. What have they done to his EYES!!??? They're some weird shade of orange now, around the black pupils. At least he still looks like he used to despite the costume change. Almost all of the other charachters have have simplified designs that are way to cartoonish for an anime series, especially Prof. Oak who now looks about 30 years younger. There's a reason Japanese shows are called anime rather than cartoons. Now I don't mind computer drawn animation as long as it's good, but it's getting a little ridiculous. Hand drawn animation will always look better to me. What happened to all the watercolor backgrounds?
    Second, what is wrong with these storywriters? Ash has been through how many battles now and competed in how many tournaments? Yet he loses to some noob trainer who just got his first pokemon? That is the most ridiculous scenario I have ever seen in any tv show. Now admittedly they try to handicap Pikachu by saying it lost its electric power due to some freak accident with Zekrom, but still, how in the world could it be beaten by a Snivy at level 5? Pikachu has taken down so many stronger foes than this and has to be the equivalent of level 200 by now. And to make things even cheaper, this Snivy knows Leaf Storm, how the heck is that right? Even if the story isn't following the rules of the games, it doesn't make physical sense that an untrained pokemon and an untrained trainer could possibly use that attack. This is the kind of stupidity that stops me from watching Pokemon ever again on TV.
    To make matters even worse than this, if that's possible, included on the dvd was a new PokeRap recorded by some unheard of studio. It was painful just listening to them, but they had to go further and actually make a music video of themselves talking about all the new pokemon and doing some absolutely retarded choreography. I don't care if this is aimed at a younger audience, such an atrocity should not exist.
    The part I hate most in all of this is that somehow The Pokemon Company keeps making money off of this by selling it to children who don't know any better and so are fooled by flashy half-done charachters and graphics, while completely alienating the fans who actually care about the series. I really believe that pokemon could have become one of the better anime series out there if it hadn't been cut down by greedy Producers who don't care about the series or its fans at all. Most of the really great anime now seems to only exist in the past.

Tomandgreen

The Original Copy-Cat
    Years
  • Well, for my opinion on BW, here's a list of Pros and Cons:

Pros
    - Cilan and Iris are much better than Dawn and Max were!
    - Ash's friends are BETTER than him now, so he will need to step it up...
    - The graphics DO look pretty good, and trip IS an OK rival.
    - Its better than DP, Nuff Said.

Cons
    - Everthing looks different.
    - Some episodes are fillers, and Ash acts kinda nooby.
    - Some episodes are boring.
    - It created my least fav shipping: CafeMocha Shipping.... Ewwww.....

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Well, for my opinion on BW, here's a list of Pros and Cons:

Pros

Cons

You're saying "ew" to CafeMocha of all things? Keep in mind that the Pokemon fandom has given us things like MeoAshShipping (Ash x Meowth), 2baMasterShipping (Ash x Jigglypuff), CuddlyShipping (Molly Hale x Piplup), WaterwrestleShipping (Crasher Wake x Brawly), and LaBambaShipping (Jessie x James x Ludicolo). And you're saying ew at CafeMocha. Of all things.

And OP, I'm gonna pick at your rant there a bit.
    - Ash's eyes are quite obviously brown. If you're seeing orange, something's wrong with your screen or your color perception.
    - Professor Oak looks younger? Uhh... not really. He looks more or less the same age as always.
    - You should probably understand that Ash and Pikachu both get a "reset" at the beginning of each series, mostly because otherwise there would be no story what with Pikachu breezing through every possible "challenge".
    - An untrained Snivy knows Leaf Tornado. So? Please recall that Pikachu has knocked out a Rhydon with thunderbolt and successfully electrocuted an Onix. Don't start talking about inconsistencies in Black and White.
    - I'm not sure what PokéRap you're talking about... would that be "Can't Stop Catchin' 'Em All"? If so, how is that any worse than, say.... Polkamon? Or that one Christmas Special CD they did years back?
    - The Pokémon Company continues to produce because people will watch. It's just that simple. Obviously it can't be too bad if they haven't cancelled it yet. Also, you seem to be implying that only children watch and enjoy it, which is completely untrue. Ever taken a look through this anime section and who posts here?
    - Finally, you seem to be equating Pokémon to all anime. Which is quite amusing and so very, very wrong.

Anyway. I'm quite liking Best Wishes. The art has vastly improved and I think it's quite pretty. The music is cool, the characters are engaging and fun, and there have only been a few episodes that I have disliked or been bored with so far. I don't like the dub because of the voices so I keep up with the Japanese version, which is interesting even when I don't entirely know what it going on. There are, of course, flaws with the series just like any other. Overused gags, things not following the games, animation errors, some badly-written segments and suchlike. But overall, I enjoy Best Wishes more than any saga besides perhaps Hoenn. Especially more than DP, gosh. I couldn't even stand to watch most of that.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2011
    First off, Ash's eyes. What have they done to his EYES!!??? They're some weird shade of orange now, around the black pupils. At least he still looks like he used to despite the costume change. Almost all of the other charachters have have simplified designs that are way to cartoonish for an anime series, especially Prof. Oak who now looks about 30 years younger. There's a reason Japanese shows are called anime rather than cartoons. Now I don't mind computer drawn animation as long as it's good, but it's getting a little ridiculous. Hand drawn animation will always look better to me. What happened to all the watercolor backgrounds?
    Second, what is wrong with these storywriters? Ash has been through how many battles now and competed in how many tournaments? Yet he loses to some noob trainer who just got his first pokemon? That is the most ridiculous scenario I have ever seen in any tv show. Now admittedly they try to handicap Pikachu by saying it lost its electric power due to some freak accident with Zekrom, but still, how in the world could it be beaten by a Snivy at level 5? Pikachu has taken down so many stronger foes than this and has to be the equivalent of level 200 by now. And to make things even cheaper, this Snivy knows Leaf Storm, how the heck is that right? Even if the story isn't following the rules of the games, it doesn't make physical sense that an untrained pokemon and an untrained trainer could possibly use that attack. This is the kind of stupidity that stops me from watching Pokemon ever again on TV.

i agree! like i hope someone from kanto comes back and teaches him a lesson

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2011
    First, why is it so common to find posters ranting about how much they hate the anime on the fan forums? Can the admins of the website make an additional sub-forum for complaining? I like talking about the show, not talking about how much I hate the show. It just drains some of the fun of the show and my enthusiasm for it. :(

Secondly, I'm unfamiliar with the idea of "shipping" TheSmartOne listed off a half dozen things that were supposed to be bad, but sounded awesome. I want more of the Jesse/James/Ludicolo thing, whatever it is. Can someone explain what that is?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • First, why is it so common to find posters ranting about how much they hate the anime on the fan forums? Can the admins of the website make an additional sub-forum for complaining? I like talking about the show, not talking about how much I hate the show. It just drains some of the fun of the show and my enthusiasm for it. :(

Secondly, I'm unfamiliar with the idea of "shipping" TheSmartOne listed off a half dozen things that were supposed to be bad, but sounded awesome. I want more of the Jesse/James/Ludicolo thing, whatever it is. Can someone explain what that is?
    First point: omg ikr. People come into the specific section for something they dislike and post in specific threads complaining about what they don't like and it makes no sense.

Second point: Shipping is like... the romantic relationship between two or more people as supported by the fandom. So like for Jessie x James x Ludicolo, it means that they would be in a romantic/sexual relationship together. Which is why I find it strange that Tomandgreen would be disgusted by CafeMocha and not anything I listed. Or like May x Max or Prof. Oak x Ash.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • drgnkpx said:
    Almost all of the other charachters have have simplified designs that are way to cartoonish for an anime series, especially Prof. Oak who now looks about 30 years younger. There's a reason Japanese shows are called anime rather than cartoons. Now I don't mind computer drawn animation as long as it's good, but it's getting a little ridiculous. Hand drawn animation will always look better to me. What happened to all the watercolor backgrounds?
    I assume the first part you were alluding to the art work? Since the character complexity hasn't decrease any since whatever Saga you left off at or any Saga for that matter. And Oak seems to be the same age too me... Shin Chan is an anime that looks more cartoonish then anime but does not make it ridiculous too the many fans that watch and continue to watch over the years? I think not.

drgnkpx said:
    Surprised no mention of progress i.e. him still being 10... Yeah this is nothing new it's been going on many Also you concept of level system in the games does not correlate with the anime nor does the nature of battles. They did this with AG and DP as well too give new fans a different perspective. Would it really be overly enjoyable if the main character was victorious over and over again? They started Ash out weak against Gary, then Paul, now Trip oh how things have things have changed so much! This kind of stupidity has been going on since at least AG so I don't see what the issue is. If you don't like it be our guest don't watch it.

Well, for my opinion on BW, here's a list of Pros and Cons:

Pros

Cons
    Better than DP, Nuff said? Care to elaborate? Cause just saying that by itself does not justice to either Saga.

Those Cons of some episodes are fillers and some episodes are boring can apply to any Saga so this one is no different so if that was a con for this one it would be in there for all of them. And I don't like Shipping in general, but as TheSmartOne said there has been stranger Shipping so I don't see what this is any different.

First, why is it so common to find posters ranting about how much they hate the anime on the fan forums? Can the admins of the website make an additional sub-forum for complaining? I like talking about the show, not talking about how much I hate the show. It just drains some of the fun of the show and my enthusiasm for it. :(

The psychology behind why people do things like that is above me. Why go to an anime forum where a majority of the people enjoy what they are watching and that is clearly stated through discussion. Yes some of it maybe critical of it but they want change for the better(at least in their eyes). Who knows, a sub forum for ranting humors me though.

If you are unfamiliar with Shipping the pinned topic explains it as well and gives links that explain what it is at length. Look story short it's just fandom that isn't much different then fanfics you would see.

Zet

Years
  • Problems with the BW Anime

Oh noes, things were changed from the original series! I totally prefer the crappy looking scenes and voices over the totally new better stuff.

Change is going to happen all the time, and a lot of the stuff you said also happened in the original series.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • You will get used to it eventually...

Before starting the B/W series, I was first enjoying my time with D/P. I started getting words that the new series "Sucks". Totally new Pokemon, Team Rocket turning intelligent. Listening to these facts shattered me. After I finished watching D/P, I had no choice but to watch the new one :(

The first couple of episode went ~fine. Then I grabbed the momentum and then I started enjoying the show. Its actually amazing to see these changes, they are including many development to some characters. I didn't like the fact that they replaced the old Pokemons and Team Rocket but I just endured it.

There was nothing wrong with the art, in fact, it turned way much neater than before. All they did to Ash is change his Iris Color. And so what? Was adding an Iris color that revolutionary?!

I have to agree about the Rivalry between Ash and Trip, I disliked the Idea that he lost to him. I DO understand however, if ASH wins, there would be no Rivalry. BUT, why shall they make him lose this way. I mean, at least make Trip more Skilled to make a better sense.

They did an excellent Job with Paul as a Rival but Trip......it was a little bit Disappointing...

Anyway as I said, keep watching and you will get the hang of it. B/W turned out so good to me, they took a totally different path of progress. During the Previous Sagas, they kept repeating the same trends...Even though I liked it....

Years
  • You will get used to it eventually...

Before starting the B/W series, I was first enjoying my time with D/P. I started getting words that the new series "Sucks". Totally new Pokemon, Team Rocket turning intelligent. Listening to these facts shattered me. After I finished watching D/P, I had no choice but to watch the new one :(

The first couple of episode went ~fine. Then I grabbed the momentum and then I started enjoying the show. Its actually amazing to see these changes, they are including many development to some characters. I didn't like the fact that they replaced the old Pokemons and Team Rocket but I just endured it.

There was nothing wrong with the art, in fact, it turned way much neater than before. All they did to Ash is change his Iris Color. And so what? Was adding an Iris color that revolutionary?!

I have to agree about the Rivalry between Ash and Trip, I disliked the Idea that he lost to him. I DO understand however, if ASH wins, there would be no Rivalry. BUT, why shall they make him lose this way. I mean, at least make Trip more Skilled to make a better sense.

They did an excellent Job with Paul as a Rival but Trip......it was a little bit Disappointing...

Anyway as I said, keep watching and you will get the hang of it. B/W turned out so good to me, they took a totally different path of progress. During the Previous Sagas, they kept repeating the same trends...Even though I liked it....

Actually, they didn't change the color.
    They were always brown, but not visible all the time.
    Problems with the BW Anime

See? This is from Advanced Generation.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2011
    Second point: Shipping is like... the romantic relationship between two or more people as supported by the fandom. So like for Jessie x James x Ludicolo, it means that they would be in a romantic/sexual relationship together. Which is why I find it strange that Tomandgreen would be disgusted by CafeMocha and not anything I listed. Or like May x Max or Prof. Oak x Ash.

LOL. I had no idea this existed. It makes sense with a May x Drew or Ash x Misty, but now that I know what it is I want nothing to do with the Jesse x James x Ludicolo one.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • Actually, they didn't change the color.
    They were always brown, but not visible all the time.
    O_o WTH! I didn't notice that! They always looked black from a distance XD
    Anyway, what I also meant is that his eyes changed a bit in design, the iris became thicker, the brown color is more VIVID. You can tell the difference..

drgnkpx

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2011
    To all the people who were disagreeing with me, I'm not hating on the show. I haven't seen it for several years so I had no idea it had changed so much, You may be used to it by now, but it was very surprising to me. I'm just pointing out all the things that are so different to me and that seem wrong because of just how different it all is. However, it is a fact that all the original cast, artists, and writers have been replaced which is the main reason I don't care for the new series. To each his own.

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    A big con for me is how Ash's non-starter Pokemon aren't getting enough development. The idea of Ash catching more than six Pokemon seemed like a good idea at first, but now we're barely seeing any personality or development from the likes of Tranquill and Palpitoad.
    I don't even bother watching BW anymore, it just doesn't interest me enough.

drgnkpx

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2011
    The Prof.

To prove my point of the Prof., Here is the original from the first episode, and the current. Attached. And yes the song is can't stop catchin em all. It's so bad. I mean, just look at this guy. Their group is the Presidents of America apparently.

Attachments

vlcsnap-2011-09-02-15h51m36s243.png
      62.9 KB · Views: 28
      vlcsnap-2011-09-02-16h12m41s95.png
      138.7 KB · Views: 21
    Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • He doesn't look younger, he just looks better drawn. :/

And yes, the song does kinda suck. But so do all theme songs after season 8 and half of the additional music.

drgnkpx

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2011
    response

First point: omg ikr. People come into the specific section for something they dislike and post in specific threads complaining about what they don't like and it makes no sense.

The psychology behind why people do things like that is above me. Why go to an anime forum where a majority of the people enjoy what they are watching and that is clearly stated through discussion. Yes some of it maybe critical of it but they want change for the better(at least in their eyes). Who knows, a sub forum for ranting humors me though.

I am talking about the show, and I'm being critical of how the show has progressed through the years to the point it is now. Forums are for more than just enjoyment, they are also for discussion and differences of opinion. If the fact that the show doesn't come up to meet my standards of enjoyment anymore drains your enthusiasm, that's not my problem, you don't have to read or respond. As for why, I wanted a response by the people who enjoy the show telling me why they enjoy the show and the reasons they liked the changes that have been made that i dislike. I want a change for the better, I want a LOT of change for the better because Pokemon as a collective idea deserves it, but in my opinion the TV series as it stands today is not living up to its potential.

I hope to be able to backup my words one day as a game developer, maybe even for game freak, who knows?

He doesn't look younger, he just looks better drawn. :/

And yes, the song does kinda suck. But so do all theme songs after season 8 and half of the additional music.

Yeah, it's too bad, the music was one of my favourite parts.

O_o WTH! I didn't notice that! They always looked black from a distance XD
    Anyway, what I also meant is that his eyes changed a bit in design, the iris became thicker, the brown color is more VIVID. You can tell the difference..

Yes that is exactly what I meant.

Oh noes, things were changed from the original series! I totally prefer the crappy looking scenes and voices over the totally new better stuff.

Change is going to happen all the time, and a lot of the stuff you said also happened in the original series.

Crappy? Whatever. I like the way the original looked and sounded. And people do care otherwise this thread would not exist. And yes I know a lot of crazy scenarios played out in the original series, but at least it payed some attention to the progression of time and experience.

Last edited:

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • Its not that you are wrong....what we are or maybe I am, trying to imply is that the show isn't as bad as you think just because of the changes. Yes, the design changed a bit, I gotta say the new graphics are neater no doubt so loving the old series graphic is up to you, the storyline doesn't keep the same trend as the AG AND DP Saga, all PkMns are replaced. We do not argue with these points, they are true, but THE SHOW IS STILL..ALIVE. Its really good regardless of the changes.

For an instance, I vowed I'd stick with the DP saga as my favorite, still that doesn't contradict the idea that B/W is GOOD, Its just that DP is better FOR ME. I don't mean to aggressively attack you with words, All you need to know though is that everyone is Entitled to his/her opinion. No one can argue with you weather YOU love something or hate it, we all see it from a different point of view.

If you want my opinion about the new show... I am bit disappointed by the cons however many Pros cover that gap. I do love the pace Unova holds, and seeing Unova making things new, I am eager to see how Ash would end up, its just so thrilling. I do miss the old characters and pokemons desperately in a way I dream of them coming back at some point, However, we can still live with those new ones, they are just as good, only not prior.

I hope I clarified my point.. ;)

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    For starters, I'm pretty most people realise/know pikachu most likely gets a level reset every series/region. Otherwise it'd be no fun at all.
    Secondly, you don't know what level the Snivy Trip owns starts at.
    Just because their Level 5 in the game doesn't mean it is in the anime.
    Ash's eyes have always been that colour, and Oak doesn't look 30 years younger, he's just drawn better.
    "Even though the story isn't following the rules of the game."
    Nothing has said it has to? In my opinion the anime does, It just shows it in a better way that it doesn't seem the same.
    And as for the making money bit ... Do you honestly think Nintendo and Gamefreak and the storywriters will just sit they and go, 'Oh, I think today we shall make a huge best selling game and not make a profit out of it?' Of course they do it for the money. But, they do care for fans as well.

If anything, I don't see too much wrong with the BW series.
    (I'm surprised you haven't said anything about Team Rocket's return).

Back