• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] Problems with the BW Anime

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
  • You will get used to it eventually...

There was nothing wrong with the art, in fact, it turned way much neater than before. All they did to Ash is change his Iris Color. And so what? Was adding an Iris color that revolutionary?!

I have to agree about the Rivalry between Ash and Trip, I disliked the Idea that he lost to him. I DO understand however, if ASH wins, there would be no Rivalry. BUT, why shall they make him lose this way. I mean, at least make Trip more Skilled to make a better sense.

They did an excellent Job with Paul as a Rival but Trip......it was a little bit Disappointing...
    The art imo is a change for the better. I could tell the animation of attacks had changed from previous generations, to me it had a more realistic look like with Iron Tail or at least looks more like the name of the attack would imply.

I don't care the way the have handled the Trip and Ash rivalry either. I can understand Pikachu is weaked by Zekrom but it can't utilized attacks like Quick Attack and Iron Tail? Starting the rivalry out with a win may not be the best, but a lose for Ash too an absolutely new trainer that has no experience with his pokemon is a little disconcerting to me. Then they follow that up by having him get stamped at the Battle Club in episode 10. The only pokes that put up a remote fight was Pikachu and Snivy.

A big con for me is how Ash's non-starter Pokemon aren't getting enough development. The idea of Ash catching more than six Pokemon seemed like a good idea at first, but now we're barely seeing any personality or development from the likes of Tranquill and Palpitoad.
    I don't even bother watching BW anymore, it just doesn't interest me enough.
    I agree with this to an extent. Although Palpitoad got a bit developement in Don George tour since we saw at least 2 battles. And that's too be expected since we already have Oshawott garnering most of the attention out of any of the pokemon (maybe barring Pikachu). But Swadloon has virtually been ignored most episodes from the current spot we are at still the last gym battle. And when do we really see a lot of development personality wise with regional birds? I don't think that's really an issue. I think she has got her fair mix. Roggenrola though yes he has been ignored woo using him too put out a fire and finding Audio! Scraggy though out of any his non starters has gotten the most development/screen time to me.

To prove my point of the Prof., Here is the original from the first episode, and the current. Attached. And yes the song is can't stop catchin em all. It's so bad. I mean, just look at this guy. Their group is the Presidents of America apparently.
    I'm still not seeing the age difference as TheSmartOne said.

Tomandgreen

The Original Copy-Cat
    Years
  • I didn't know about that Ludicolo thing..... I'm sorry. LaBambaShipping is horrible... And I got the bonus disc too, I Can't Stop Catchin Them All is a good laugh due to it's idiocy, seriously, watch it with a friend as comedic entertainment, it does have a use. I tried it, and I could not stop laughing.

drgnkpx

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2011
    Thanks for clarifying that, I think I understand better now. As for how Oak seems younger, basically it's that his hair now has color rather than being all grey, and his skin tone is lighter now rather than being dark, which are both signs of aging. The whole face is more square. I guess it just stands out more to me for some reason. I did exaggerate on how bad I thought the show was, sorry. The main thing I can't stand are the English voices, and since I cant understand Japanese yet, there's no other options other than subtitles. That, and the fact that the series never ages, there's never another main charachter than Ash (and I mean as in main main, not including his friends and pokemon), and while I will always love him, it's a problem storywise that he isn't a pokemon master and never will be. I mean, that is the point of his whole journey right? Still I have to give the writers some credit just for getting this far in a tv series with so many charachters and storylines to keep up with. Guess I'll just have to wait for the release of the older seasons on dvd like they did the first season. Thanks everyone.

Years
  • Well I think black & white is almost the same old pokemon o.o team rocket in stuff adventures all the problem is ash should be pro right now in not act like a nub in stuff...

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I did exaggerate on how bad I thought the show was, sorry. The main thing I can't stand are the English voices, and since I cant understand Japanese yet, there's no other options other than subtitles. That, and the fact that the series never ages, there's never another main charachter than Ash (and I mean as in main main, not including his friends and pokemon), and while I will always love him, it's a problem storywise that he isn't a pokemon master and never will be. I mean, that is the point of his whole journey right? Still I have to give the writers some credit just for getting this far in a tv series with so many charachters and storylines to keep up with. Guess I'll just have to wait for the release of the older seasons on dvd like they did the first season. Thanks everyone.
    That's one thing I dislike about the anime, no progression over time. Sure he learns gains knowledge toward the end and after the Saga is over it's all down the drain. If I didn't like pokemon so much as a reoccurring fan I would feel kind of alienated a bit. Like why isn't the character bettering himself instead of regressing as time goes on. This is one reason why I think many older fans don't care for the series as it continues on. And if I remember the discussion a month or so back we were talking about what is a Pokemon Master, and ultimately that term was left up for the fans to decide for themselves. Will Ash ultimately achieve the goals set out for him while we are still alive? Who knows.

Tbh I don't want to sound cynical, but it seems the point of the journey these days is partly a marketing gimmick. Why age somethings that keep your product selling.

drgnkpx

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2011
    Tbh I don't want to sound cynical, but it seems the point of the journey these days is partly a marketing gimmick. Why age somethings that keep your product selling.

Yes, and when you let marketing people decide the fate of a TV show, you lose some of the inspiration of artists and storywriters who made the series great in the first place. In the end there is always the choice between money and quality and you can't always get the best of both, but if people still like it and it sells, then it doesn't matter as far as the company is concerned. You might say Pokemon chose to be immortal than face reality. But maybe you're right and we're just being cynical.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • But... wait. Pokemon the anime was -made- for marketing. To promote the games and such. So it hasn't really lost its inspiration in that respect, I don't think.

drgnkpx

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2011
    But... wait. Pokemon the anime was -made- for marketing. To promote the games and such. So it hasn't really lost its inspiration in that respect, I don't think.

Yeah, I guess you're right when you put it that way. I just don't like the idea of marketing when it comes to an artistic product.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    To tell the truth, I'm pretty annoyed with all the people ranting about the new series of Pokemon. I honestly think that Black and White/Best Wishes was a really big twist to Pokemon. Team Rocket is actually smarter since they got a job promotion. I like the story so far.
    You can't really say stuff like that if you haven't even watched the Black and White series so far. When I started watching it I was annoyed by the art too, but you get used to it. And If you have watched every single Pokemon episode like me, then you have probably realized that Ash and Pikachu are kinda suck-ish at the beginning of every new region. I like the new series a lot.
    I was watching an older episode of Pokemon the other day, when Misty was there, and I started to laugh about how ridiculous they were xD;;; It brought back lots of memories, but to tell you the truth, they acted kinda lame in the Indigo series lol;;

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    I agree with Temari.
    The newer episodes have a really great twist of events. It's really cool how TR got a promotion, and now are a lot smarter, but to think that all that they're doing is bad, it kinda makes me uneasy.
    But it's pretty cool how
    Spoiler:

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • I was watching an older episode of Pokemon the other day, when Misty was there, and I started to laugh about how ridiculous they were xD;;; It brought back lots of memories, but to tell you the truth, they acted kinda lame in the Indigo series lol;;

I gotta admit, your right. Many episode in Indigo were Silly and so fictional. Pokemon grew to be logical after that series. Still I am in a shock how many people are stuck with that series, could it be because of Misty?!?!?

Good thing we can't compare with Indigo...I mean it was way too old..

drgnkpx

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2011
    To tell the truth, I'm pretty annoyed with all the people ranting about the new series of Pokemon. I honestly think that Black and White/Best Wishes was a really big twist to Pokemon. Team Rocket is actually smarter since they got a job promotion. I like the story so far.
    You can't really say stuff like that if you haven't even watched the Black and White series so far. When I started watching it I was annoyed by the art too, but you get used to it. And If you have watched every single Pokemon episode like me, then you have probably realized that Ash and Pikachu are kinda suck-ish at the beginning of every new region. I like the new series a lot.
    I was watching an older episode of Pokemon the other day, when Misty was there, and I started to laugh about how ridiculous they were xD;;; It brought back lots of memories, but to tell you the truth, they acted kinda lame in the Indigo series lol;;

I kind of fell out of watching pokemon regularly after the first season just because of the time the episodes came on, so no I haven't seen every episode, probably not even half as I said in the original post. I'll buy them as soon as they come out like the first and second seasons. The first season is my favourite. And I don't care about twists so much as the overall quality of the story. One would think that after several years Ash could quit acting suck -ish And I apologized in an earlier post for exagerrating on how bad I thought the show was, sorry if it seemed like a 'rant' to you. I also stated in a previous post that the main thing is the voice acting and art that I don't like which has been different for the past few seasons if I remember right.

I gotta admit, your right. Many episode in Indigo were Silly and so fictional. Pokemon grew to be logical after that series. Still I am in a shock how many people are stuck with that series, could it be because of Misty?!?!?

Good thing we can't compare with Indigo...I mean it was way too old..

If the new series is logical, then I guess I like the fictional version better. And no it's not because of Misty, it's everything about it. I do compare the new series to Indigo because that's the only season I really know, other than the movies but that's different.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • If the new series is logical, then I guess I like the fictional version better. And no it's not because of Misty, it's everything about it. I do compare the new series to Indigo because that's the only season I really know, other than the movies but that's different.

Believe it or not, I do understand. But I am moved by how people give a hard time for the newer series and just go to the old one as best. What I am trying to imply is that People here can't get something better than the "original" and they keep criticizing the newer series. Its so unfair IMO. Ok, Kanto was Good, I have no problem, but harshly downgrading the afterwards?! You can't expect something better than the original so WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU WANT! And that's my point for ya.

Many People I saw were ranting about the D/P saga, most likely they had no good point, one reason they might hate is because its not the original series of pkmn -_- (IMO, that's no excuse). Now, they gave the fan Unova, a new start and a new original series and still people rant!

When you see the origin, you won't prefer the Spin-offs for sure, but as I said, I really hate it how many people keep downgrading the other series as well.

One thing I like about your posts is that you get to respect our Opinions...I am glad with that regardless what series you like, I am fulfilled...

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    Believe it or not, I do understand. But I am moved by how people give a hard time for the newer series and just go to the old one as best. What I am trying to imply is that People here can't get something better than the "original" and they keep criticizing the newer series. Its so unfair IMO. Ok, Kanto was Good, I have no problem, but harshly downgrading the afterwards?! You can't expect something better than the original so WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU WANT! And that's my point for ya.

Many People I saw were ranting about the D/P saga, most likely they had no good point, one reason they might hate is because its not the original series of pkmn -_- (IMO, that's no excuse). Now, they gave the fan Unova, a new start and a new original series and still people rant!

When you see the origin, you won't prefer the Spin-offs for sure, but as I said, I really hate it how many people keep downgrading the other series as well.

One thing I like about your posts is that you get to respect our Opinions...I am glad with that regardless what series you like, I am fulfilled...

I agree with you, but I think another reason people don't like D/P because of Dawn. I really like Dawn, and all of the other girls. It was nice to have May and Dawn because they entered the contests. Even though I really love Ash, I think it does get sorta boring having him only enter all of the Pokemon Leagues. (Yes there was one episode when he entered a contest with Dawn)

When May and Dawn were in the series, it was pretty cool seeing all of the combinations of their Pokemon's attacks. It really kept me wanting to see who'd get to the final rounds.
    So what I'm basically saying is that I really loved the D/P series.

Years
  • People that complain about Ash still being 10 and losing to newbie trainers are an extreme minority. Just pretend like levels don't exist in the anime and every Pokemon is similar strength-wise. Yeah, Ash should very powerful by now, but it won't exactly be fun seeing him beat newbie trainers left and right.

But yeah, despite these complaints, the anime's doing very well in Japan. They do not have an incentive to change anything when it isn't worth taking the risk. Plus, Pokemon isn't the only other anime to have kept a character the same age for a long time - there's also Detective Conan ontop of the very well-known family-friendly shows in Japan like Sazae-san. The anime's geared towards kids and these kids are usually "replaced" each generation by other young kids. Most of them aren't even aware of who Cassidy and Butch are much less that Brock has a dad.

I don't see the problem with the eyes. Seems a little silly to complain about a minor art issue. You'll get used to it.

The anime's definitely not flawless though, but you just have to accept that we aren't in 1997 anymore and that things change.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    drgnkpx said:
    I kind of fell out of watching pokemon regularly after the first season just because of the time the episodes came on, so no I haven't seen every episode, probably not even half as I said in the original post. I'll buy them as soon as they come out like the first and second seasons. The first season is my favourite. And I don't care about twists so much as the overall quality of the story. One would think that after several years Ash could quit acting suck -ish And I apologized in an earlier post for exagerrating on how bad I thought the show was, sorry if it seemed like a 'rant' to you. I also stated in a previous post that the main thing is the voice acting and art that I don't like which has been different for the past few seasons if I remember right.

Charicific said:

If the new series is logical, then I guess I like the fictional version better. And no it's not because of Misty, it's everything about it. I do compare the new series to Indigo because that's the only season I really know, other than the movies but that's different.

I get what you mean, and you should continue watching the other episodes because you can't say if you haven't. I loved Advanced Generations in Hoenn when May was there.

Fictional? Well, logical as in they aren't asking questions when the answer is obvious and stuff.

You should really continue it though. I've seen lots of people quit watching it once one of there favorite characters leave. And I know it was sad when they left, and I didn't like it at all, but I still continued to watch it. And as it went on I started liking it more and more. So if all you have watched was the first series, then there's a lot more that you should watch. You can't critique the newer episodes to the first series if all you've watched was that. It gets really good after that.

About the art......when Anime first came out, the eyes were black with a little white shine in it. Pokemon continued to look like an old anime, so I guess with Best Wishes, they decided to make it look more like the newer style of anime.

You don't have to wait for the DVD releases if you really want to watch it. You can also watch it on an anime showing website such as anime44.com and goodanime.com

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • To be honest, I was one of those who hated Pokémon after Misty left- though I was about ten and didn't think about it properly lol. But I despised the Hoenn Pokémon, I hated May, thought the show was horrible. Then I gave it a chance, and AG eventually became my favorite saga. Then I tried to give DP a chance and it was just... ugh. I could barely watch it. I came back to the anime for Best Wishes, which is wonderful.

I think what I'm saying is that no-one should start complaining just because change is happening.
    Everything changes, changes
    Things are changing constantly
    And everything changes, changes
    It's evoluntionary
    Everything changes, changes
    Changing all the time
    Playing with your mind
    Modified or rearranged
    Everything has got to change.
    Right? Pokémon even taught us that lol. And you shouldn't just go against things 'cause they're different, you should settle down and think about it objectively first. 'Cause really you can only form a solid opinion on something when you take a step back and think on it for a while. Giving things a chance is a good thing, I think.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • I used to find the anime interesting. But lost interest after it shifted to the hoenn series (much like the games actually)

Probably nostalgia. I enjoy watching the old episodes again.

I tried watching new episodes, but realised it's like watching fillers for episode. and I hate fillers. :/

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • We all have the same case here, We tried to stop watching after the first series but giving a chance was a revolutionary step. I for an instance, liked the original Pokemon, I was watching it while Both Hoenn and Sinnoh were done airing.

I was excited to watch Hoenn since its being with a new character and all, I was scared of leaving Misty Behind. And wow, I was in love with whatever choice I made, now I forgot Misty totally. After Hoenn, I decided to give the same Chance to Sinnoh, and the pattern repeats, I dumped Hoenn and stuck with Sinnoh, Eventhough I liked May a bit, I forgot her just as Misty and carried on with Dawn.

Black and White Started and I refused to leave Dawn behind, however I gave B/W a chance and it turned out amazing, yet I will still stick with my older characters, eventhough I admired Cilan and Iris....they are great.

echolocated

rated R for robocop
    Years
  • That's one thing I dislike about the anime, no progression over time. Sure he learns gains knowledge toward the end and after the Saga is over it's all down the drain. If I didn't like pokemon so much as a reoccurring fan I would feel kind of alienated a bit. Like why isn't the character bettering himself instead of regressing as time goes on. This is one reason why I think many older fans don't care for the series as it continues on. And if I remember the discussion a month or so back we were talking about what is a Pokemon Master, and ultimately that term was left up for the fans to decide for themselves. Will Ash ultimately achieve the goals set out for him while we are still alive? Who knows.

I'm guessing they wanna keep Ash at 10 to have the younger fans(like me!)enjoy the series.
    Either that or Arceus resets time and that means all of Ash's adventures are actually in different timelines! haha

Back