• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] Problems with the BW Anime

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    I was really amazed after finding out Ash was still ten, so I did some math. I took the number of episodes out now and tried many different ways to get under 365 days in a year. It wouldn't make sense if each episode equaled 1 day, because then Ash would be 12+.
    So I tried 12 hours (half a day) for each episode, and got 352.5 days.

So maybe they'll have a birthday episode for Ash soon?

drgnkpx

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2011
    Ok, Kanto was Good, I have no problem, but harshly downgrading the afterwards?! You can't expect something better than the original so WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU WANT! And that's my point for ya.

When you see the origin, you won't prefer the Spin-offs for sure, but as I said, I really hate it how many people keep downgrading the other series as well.

One thing I like about your posts is that you get to respect our Opinions...I am glad with that regardless what series you like, I am fulfilled...

Actually, I do expect it to be better, and maybe that's the problem. I've watched other Anime, and I know that it's not a good comparison, but some of them actually got even better as the seasons went on, like Yu Yu Hakusho which is my favourite series ever. Sure it can't be done with every show out there, but I wish Pokemon was one of them. I actually liked everything up to when the original actors left around when D/P began I think.

To be honest, I was one of those who hated Pokémon after Misty left- though I was about ten and didn't think about it properly lol. But I despised the Hoenn Pokémon, I hated May, thought the show was horrible. Then I gave it a chance, and AG eventually became my favorite saga. Then I tried to give DP a chance and it was just... ugh. I could barely watch it. I came back to the anime for Best Wishes, which is wonderful.

I think what I'm saying is that no-one should start complaining just because change is happening.

Right? Pokémon even taught us that lol. And you shouldn't just go against things 'cause they're different, you should settle down and think about it objectively first. 'Cause really you can only form a solid opinion on something when you take a step back and think on it for a while. Giving things a chance is a good thing, I think.

Again, not to be repetitive because I have already mentioned this, but I liked everything up until the original actors left, and by that I mainly mean the original actor who played Ash. I didn't even care when Brock and Misty left, because they at least were replaced with good charachters and new voices. But I think I will follow your advice and watch some more episodes and see how it goes.

I was really amazed after finding out Ash was still ten, so I did some math. I took the number of episodes out now and tried many different ways to get under 365 days in a year. It wouldn't make sense if each episode equaled 1 day, because then Ash would be 12+.
    So I tried 12 hours (half a day) for each episode, and got 352.5 days.

So maybe they'll have a birthday episode for Ash soon?

Yeah maybe. Only problem is that many of the episodes seem to skip ahead days or weeks at a time. In the first season especially, sometimes it seemed that one episode they were here, then the next they magically teleported to the next city or adventure with no interlude. It's fine storywise, but it's difficult to estimate Ash's age, which is probably exactly what they want.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • Things change during the course of time. Technology has improved, therefore writers won't be creating old style animations in newer episodes, obviously.

However, I do agree about the noob ash stuff. It's just getting old. I'm not advocating him to win every single battle, but when a Pikachu who made Latios faint loses to a noob snivy, you obviously know something isn't right. Maybe he might not win all battles, but come on. Electric attack on a part-ground type excadrill? How can a trainer who has gone through 4 regions and 35 badges forget that Electric moves don't work on ground types? I'm through with his immaturity in battle strategies. Something about it needs to change.

P.S. - Don't diss Cilan. He (and his dwebble) is awesome.

Problems with the BW Anime

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • Things change during the course of time. Technology has improved, therefore writers won't be creating old style animations in newer episodes, obviously.

However, I do agree about the noob ash stuff. It's just getting old. I'm not advocating him to win every single battle, but when a Pikachu who made Latios faint loses to a noob snivy, you obviously know something isn't right. Maybe he might not win all battles, but come on. Electric attack on a part-ground type excadrill? How can a trainer who has gone through 4 regions and 35 badges forget that Electric moves don't work on ground types? I'm through with his immaturity in battle strategies. Something about it needs to change.

P.S. - Don't diss Cilan. He (and his dwebble) is awesome.

Problems with the BW Anime

Agreed. I know Gamefreak lives by the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" but my question is, if they're going to give every saga a "fresh start," why not do what they already do for the games and manga? Start each new series with the main guy and/or girl from their respective games as the main characters? At least then, they'd have an excuse to losing to a Snivy that had previously never battled. Ash was created as an anime version of Red. So theoretically, his journey should have ended after Kanto. Gold and Kris/Lyra should have been in the main series to replace him. At least they got Dawn and May right... -_- For BW, Black/Herbert(?) and White/Hilda(?) could have replaced Ash easily.

Years
  • Changing the evolving animation was stupid, I've grown up with the white glow and they've made it blue with yellow lines circling around. Now it looks way a lot like the BW in-game evolving animation.

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    The BW anime series was a true improvement over the terrible boring way too long DP series,The BW series is getting better and better it is also good that the writers gave Ash all three of the starters again in this series,since this haven't happen since the Kanto and Johto series.The old pokemon anime series was the best and a true classic,the original series of pokemon will never be forgotten.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • To me, it's a major step down from DP in terms of writing and character development, and it's gone even further downhill after the Team Plasma episodes were (seemingly pernamentaly) dropped. Ash has been flanderized down to his season 1 self, and most of his Pokemon have barely any to no personality at all, just soulless battling machines, I see his BW team to be the complete opposite of his DP team, in which his DP Pokemon such as Infernape and Buizel all had their own distinct personalities, in BW, the Pokemon are just "Send them out to battle and only to battle", with only, at most, two of his Pokemon (Snivy and Oshawott) actually having personalities at all (not to mention that those two are shown more than an of his other teammates outside of Pikachu), though those two (and to an extent, Emolga and Axew) tend to often annoy fans, they are pretty much the only Pokemon that have personalities at all, with more focus to the human characters than the tituluar superpowered animals.

In terms of the human characters, Iris and Cilan are pretty much among the few good things about BW (which I will discuss later). Bianca is the complete opposite of her game self, in the games, she was a determined trainer who was willing to do the right thing, though tended to be a ditz from time to time, in the anime, she's a hyperactive ditz who has no idea what she is doing at all (basically, a female version of Barry, but with her IQ significantly dropped by several points lower than Barry), despite that, her most recent appearance has shown that they are starting to make her act a bit more like her game self. Trip is basically Paul, but with everything that made Paul an interesting character completely stripped, with nothing left but a total jerk, whileas Paul recieved character development over the course of the series. I find Burgundy to be incredibly annoying (although that may just be me), while Langley (I refuse to call her "Georgia") has more potential than most of the other rivals. *sigh*, if only N was in the anime...

Among other bad things include the Gym battles, which are incredibly generic and boring (Castelia and Nimbassa Gyms being the worst offenders), as well as the random fillers after Castelia City and don't get me started on Team Plasma or the black Team Rocket uniforms, enough blood has been shed over that topic already.

Among the good things BW has given us is that it's very colorful, the music is wonderful, and the animation is very fluid, not to mention how interesting a few of the characters introduced in the series are (namely Iris and Cilan), and Iris has a truly interesting backstory, the chemistry between the main trio is also very well balanced.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • To me, it's a major step down from DP in terms of writing and character development, and it's gone even further downhill after the Team Plasma episodes were (seemingly pernamentaly) dropped. Ash has been flanderized down to his season 1 self, and most of his Pokemon have barely any to no personality at all, just soulless battling machines, I see his BW team to be the complete opposite of his DP team, in which his DP Pokemon such as Infernape and Buizel all had their own distinct personalities, in BW, the Pokemon are just "Send them out to battle and only to battle", with only, at most, two of his Pokemon (Snivy and Oshawott) actually having personalities at all (not to mention that those two are shown more than an of his other teammates outside of Pikachu), though those two (and to an extent, Emolga and Axew) tend to often annoy fans, they are pretty much the only Pokemon that have personalities at all, with more focus to the human characters than the tituluar superpowered animals.
    I agree with most of this, but what no love for Scraggy )=?

Pikachu - It is the franchise mascot so of course they would focus on its personality. Love the situations like with the battle vs. Elesa.

Tranquill - Suffers from the generic regional bird personalty not much different from past ones.

Oshawott - Attention ***** to say the least. It has a distinct personalty out of all the Unova pokes.

Tepig - Outside of the Beartic episode and when it looks dejected after loses I haven't really seen any personalty.

Snivy - Gurl got sum personality, with it's ever so spunky attitude.

Scraggy - Like the episode title of it's debut its a little wild thing. Although it has calmed down a bit since then. But still just about every time I see Scraggy I manage to find something humorous with him. Hopefully we will get to see more developement with the upcoming episode with him and Gothita.

Swadloon - Wouldn't Swadloon have to have appearances to showcase any sort of personality? Seriously what the heck has Swadloon down at all since the battle with Burgh? The only time we saw much of a personality out of it was when it was Seawaddle in it's debut episode.

Palpitoad - Outside of it being pissed during its initial I haven't seen much of a personality since we only pretty much seen it in battles since.

Roggenrola - Again you would actually have to show up to do anything. Oh boy I find Audio, then I use Sandstorm to put out fires, now what I use Flash Cannon to propel trains! Yeah absolutely nothing in the personality department or in much of anything else as it stands right now.

In terms of the human characters, Iris and Cilan are pretty much among the few good things about BW (which I will discuss later). Bianca is the complete opposite of her game self, in the games, she was a determined trainer who was willing to do the right thing, though tended to be a ditz from time to time, in the anime, she's a hyperactive ditz who has no idea what she is doing at all (basically, a female version of Barry, but with her IQ significantly dropped by several points lower than Barry), despite that, her most recent appearance has shown that they are starting to make her act a bit more like her game self. Trip is basically Paul, but with everything that made Paul an interesting character completely stripped, with nothing left but a total jerk, whileas Paul recieved character development over the course of the series. I find Burgundy to be incredibly annoying (although that may just be me), while Langley (I refuse to call her "Georgia") has more potential than most of the other rivals. *sigh*, if only N was in the anime...
    I think a female Barry was the route the writers were trying to go with her. I think from this point forward she was development and move past the confidence issues like her in-game character. But yeah before this all she did really is be portrayed as a huge ditz that ran into Ash knocked him into water seemingly every time, and was annoying as heck with the whole Zorua ordeal. Trip too me seems like a combination of Todd, with Gary, and then a bit of Paul. I mean all main rivals have been shown to be jerks so that seems a bit universally shared. Burgundy I can honestly do with out, she is just play annoying like you stated. All she does is constantly complain about Cilan and her past encounter with him "Woe is me I lost now get over it!". Georgia I like out of all the BW rivals, her encounters and chemistry with Iris makes for amazing viewing imo.

Among other bad things include the Gym battles, which are incredibly generic and boring (Castelia and Nimbassa Gyms being the worst offenders), as well as the random fillers after Castelia City and don't get me started on Team Plasma or the black Team Rocket uniforms, enough blood has been shed over that topic already.
    Hit the nail on the head, he used same basic strategies and manages to come up with a victory. I kind of like Nacrene Gym but that was about it. Fillers are a given with every Saga. Although I could have did without all of them really.

Among the good things BW has given us is that it's very colorful, the music is wonderful, and the animation is very fluid, not to mention how interesting a few of the characters introduced in the series are (namely Iris and Cilan), and Iris has a truly interesting backstory, the chemistry between the main trio is also very well balanced.
    I love Cilan most of the time and like Iris character as well. Cilan can be a bit eccentric at times and a bit over flamboyant other then that I like the characters Cilan gets into and his general way he goes about things. For me he brought a bit of freshness to Brock stale character that he had during DP. Iris I am glad she doesn't constantly do that "what a kid" crap anymore cause that was annoying after the first couple times. I am eager to see her steps toward becoming a Dragon Master, as well as how that Deino episode is going to play out.

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    To me, it's a major step down from DP in terms of writing and character development, and it's gone even further downhill after the Team Plasma episodes were (seemingly pernamentaly) dropped. Ash has been flanderized down to his season 1 self, and most of his Pokemon have barely any to no personality at all, just soulless battling machines, I see his BW team to be the complete opposite of his DP team, in which his DP Pokemon such as Infernape and Buizel all had their own distinct personalities, in BW, the Pokemon are just "Send them out to battle and only to battle", with only, at most, two of his Pokemon (Snivy and Oshawott) actually having personalities at all (not to mention that those two are shown more than an of his other teammates outside of Pikachu), though those two (and to an extent, Emolga and Axew) tend to often annoy fans, they are pretty much the only Pokemon that have personalities at all, with more focus to the human characters than the tituluar superpowered animals.

I say the BW series is a step above the DP series which lack any good plots or any character development,the Sinnoh team was lame sinceTorterra barely won any battles at all, Infernape was used way too much and Buizel was hardly used at all during the final Sinnoh saga league battles.

The Unova team is a new fresh team of pokemon which at least will be getting stronger and stronger eachday.

But Tepig is finally getting used a lot more which is a good thing since he needed more battle screen time,i can see that Tepig evolving all the way at least it is shown to have a personality.

Oshawott have been used really well i admit that,giving the fact it might not be evolving at all,but it still have a great personality and a strong pokemon aswell.

Snivy is a great pokemon personality wise,but he need to be used a lot more in battles,she may not want to evolve when the time comes and that will be ok if she don't want to evolve, she will still be a great strong pokemon.

Ash's Unova team do need more development,Tranquill and Swadloon need more battles and screentime aswell as having development,Scraggy is getting stronger but he need to be in more battles inorder to see how stronger he is becoming.

Bianca is really a great character rival she is a female version of Barry but done right and there is plenty of time for Bianca to get a lot of character development,Trip is a really great rival of Ash's unlike Paul who lack any good personality at all in the DP saga,Trip is nothing like Paul thank goodness , but Trip's and Ash's rivarly got a long way to go for development,but who knowns how long their rivarly will last.

johnr754

I am JOHN, heck yeah!
    Years
  • Lemme tell you how the anime works:

Ash becomes noobish
    Ash meets a partner
    Ash meets Brock/some other person
    Something happens to Pikachu
    There you go.

In BW:
    Ash becomes total noob
    Something happens to Pikachu
    Ash meets Iris
    Ash meets Cilan
    There You Go.

Listen, it's like they are trying to copy the original series. Yep. See what I mean? Like, Ash met someone who wants to travel for a reason(Misty - electrocuted bike, Iris- Dragon master reasons?)
    Ash is a total noob
    Ash battles a gym leader and travels with Ash (Brock, Cilan)
    Besides, shouldn't Ash release 1 Pokemon? Oh wait...... Anyways, Ash 10? Really. Oh, and a anime writer said that as long as Ash doesn't become a Pokemon Master, Ash and Pikachu stay. And don't age. I mean, like, in M3, Ash had his 1-year anniversary with Pikachu, also means.....11. I suspect that by the end of DP, Ash was 14. But nope. The writers say he's 10. To appeal to younger viewers. Seriously. Who thought of THAT?

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    I like Diamomd & Pearl much more than Black & White because DP storyline was better (BW hasn't finished yet but it is that point that I can say that I don't like BW storyline) Also Dawn was soooo much better than Iris and all craracters at Sinnoh saga was more interesting than Unova's characters. I don't like Ash's new eyes and clothes. BW intro is lame and I mean that 3d intro. Also DP theme music was better than BW. Black & White hasn't finished yet but I can say that DP is so much better. Also Kanto-, Johto- and Hoenn saga was better.

- Big fan of Dawn and Sinnoh

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    I like Diamomd & Pearl much more than Black & White because DP storyline was better (BW hasn't finished yet but it is that point that I can say that I don't like BW storyline) Also Dawn was soooo much better than Iris and all craracters at Sinnoh saga was more interesting than Unova's characters. I don't like Ash's new eyes and clothes. BW intro is lame and I mean that 3d intro. Also DP theme music was better than BW. Black & White hasn't finished yet but I can say that DP is so much better. Also Kanto-, Johto- and Hoenn saga was better.

- Big fan of Dawn and Sinnoh

I like the Black & White much more better then the terrible Diamond & Pearl because the storyline for DP was terrible and boring,also i find Iris to be a who lot damn better then Dawn,all of the Sinnoh characters were terrible bland and very uninteresting, the Unova characters are interesting and have much better personality's then the boring Sinnoh region characters. I like Ash's new look better is about time they change him from his boring DP look into a fresh new look he have in the BW series now,the DP theme music was lame and terrible the BW theme music is a who lot better then the DP theme music. The DP series is the worst era of pokemon it was not great at all and Black & White series is a who lot better. The Kanto ,Johto saga era was really great and Hoenn saga was ok,but the Sinnoh saga was a step down from pokemon it was godly awful and really underrated,Dawn and the Sinnoh saga was terrible.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    I like the Black & White much more better then the terrible Diamond & Pearl because the storyline for DP was terrible and boring,also i find Iris to be a who lot damn better then Dawn,all of the Sinnoh characters were terrible bland and very uninteresting, the Unova characters have personality's and are more interesting then the boring Sinnoh region characters. I like Ash's new look better is about time they change him from his boring DP look into a fresh new look he have in the BW series now,the DP theme music was lame and terrible the BW theme music is a who lot better then the DP theme music. The DP series is the worst era of pokemon it was not great at all and Black & White . The Kanto ,Johto saga era was really great and Hoenn saga was ok,but the Sinnoh saga was a step down from pokemon it was godly awful and really underrated,Dawn and the Sinnoh saga was terrible.

You just made me angry. >:( These are only opinions but your comment just made me very angry because I like Sinnoh so much.

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    You just made me angry. >:( These are only opinions but your comment just made me very angry because I like Sinnoh so much.

You love Sinnoh that is fine. People do have a right to their own opinions and i do hope understand that.

Last edited:

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    Yes you're right. But that's sad that you don't like Sinnoh. ;(
    No it is not sad, i don't like that Sinnoh much but it is ok not great or perfect.

The BW series is real great but they need to start showing Team Plasma instead of having them be delayed, due to the BW 23 and BW 24 episodes being banned for now because of the earthquake that hit Japan.

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
    Years
  • Here is the stuff I kinda dislike in the anime of Pokemon B/W

I like the anime, they showed some improvements. The animation, the detail, and the improved Pokemon move animation(Snivy's Leaf Storm animation is better than Torterra's Leaf Storm animation). I know I said this in my last post, but this is a few things that really irritate me.
    -The cries. Dwebble is the worst. It talks like some kind of Ditto. Roggenrola(lol rock and roll) sounds odd too. Trip's Servine should sound like a REAL snake, not like some hillbilly.
    -Iris is worse than Misty. Misty is the best partner for Ash. Cilan is ok, he's a lot like Brock, and more mature. Iris is ok, but I just don't like her tone. Calling Ash a kid(which is kinda) true on what I'm going to talk about), and her personality doesn't seem to be better than Misty. Remember how Pikachu fried Misty's bike, she wasn't that mad. When someone ticks of Iris, she argues a lot.
    -Ash. When he sees some Pokemon when he saw before in the previous regions, he sometimes forget who they are and checks his Pokedex. And should they try making Ash be 14 by now? I know that they want to keep his age to appeal kids, but can we see how Ash should get older by now? Remember that 10th episode of the first season of Pokemon? Ash said that he won 2 badges in 2 months. By now, each badge is worth a few weeks-1 month. That means Ash should be around 13 or 14(by 4 official regions). Ash still tends to act like noobish in some battles. How his Pikachu loses to a Panpour and a Snivy. Pikachu should be at LV 100!

This is my own opinion. I don't accept hate comments. I just don't watch the anime I'm supposed to see every Saturday morning. I'm happy that Team Rocket tends to win more often, but come on! Some episodes tends to be the same. Someone has bonding issues, or that someone lost their Pokemon. I just want to see more new details. Like Cilan, he's a good Pokemon critic, the way how he says his words are good. I do like Ash as a trainer, like he has a good bond with his Pokemon, but it just acts like the first season all over and that the stuff is kinda getting old.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    Sorry but if I'm right there are already thread for BW dislikes/problems.

Back