• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Prof. Oak versus Bill! Who is smarter?

~Archer~

I am the bone of my sword.
    Years
    IceKitten said:
    Bill because Eons rule the world
    Oh yeah, liking eons really shows how smart you are.

Anyway i think Oak is smarter, i mean while Bill is waiting for that giant Dragonite who he can't identify, Prof. Oak is studying pokemon for even simple things like differences between two pokemon of the same kind.

/|\ FCR plug out /|\

Suyasi

Chikorita Fan
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2007
    Oak indefinatly, Bill is just a poke maniac, Professor Oak, is well.. a professor. Also he invented the pokedex I could of sworn.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Hmmmm.....
    Thats actually a hard choice... because they both have so much knowledge about Pokemon. I think I'll go with Oak though, since he seems to know the most over-all information about them...

Prof. Oak versus Bill! Who is smarter?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Now this is my kind of topic.

Before I can start my argument, I'd like to bring up the following simple fact: Bill is intelligent, regardless of any sort of accident with a costume (which he probably wouldn't have known about without actually trying the costume on first anyway) or Teleporter (which could have really happened to anyone). Now, why do I say this? It's fairly simple, really:

1. In the games, he invented not only a matter teleportation/storage device but also a matter teleportation device that can transmit said matter across time. I'd like to see someone of his age do that without a Flux Capacitor and a DeLorean. Same thing goes for the Adventures version, lax the Time Capsule.

2. The anime version has been complimented by Professor Oak himself. In fact, in Oak's own words, "Bill is a young Pokemon researcher who knows even more than me. See what you can learn from him. He can teach you just about anything about Pokemon... and then some." Although Oak is kind, I really don't think he'd reward someone who didn't deserve such a reputation with such praise.

3. On the Dragonite thing: It was the dead of night with thick fog blanketing everything further out to sea. I don't think even Professor Oak would be able to identify that Dragonite, and I wouldn't expect Bill to be able to just by its call, considering the fact that the episode's Dragonite sounded absolutely nothing like what Dragonite is established to sound like later on in the series.

4. With that said, the anime Bill also has the ability to interpret a Pokemon's call with only a vocal recording to work with. He can also theorize what a Pokemon may be like just by wearing a costume. In other words, he's well-versed in Pokemon psychology, at least.

5. The Adventures version also has the ability to distinguish what move a Pokemon will use just on the stance it takes mere moments before the attack is executed (i.e. Fearow).

6. Toshihiro Ono's version is a skilled inventor working for a prestigious technology research center (which is responsible for everything from new versions of the Pokedex -- which he did lend a hand with in that particular manga -- to new Poke Balls, which he labels as "antiques").

7. In the games, he indexes his own Pokemon. As in, he's made his own Pokedex.

Therefore, consider everything Bill has done before calling him stupid. He's actually smarter than most people like to think, and the only reason why everyone thinks he might be a little dense is because they can't see past one (or, in the case of the anime, a badly interpreted two) instances. If you're thinking, "OMG! HE COULDN'T IDENTIFY A DRAGONITE!," then go outside on a dark night when there's thick fog out and try to see ten feet in front of you. Then imagine that the Dragonite is actually double that distance away from Bill at the time he's always tried to identify it (and he says that it only comes on foggy nights in the episode), and you'll see what I mean.

And to Usohachii, then why didn't Oak? Remember, Oak's at least forty years older than Bill. He had plenty of time to think of the Teleporter, so it's hardly something to hold over Bill.

With that said, oddly enough, though I'm admittedly a Bill fangirl (hence why I've taken the time to analyze his incarnations for enough proof to say that he's not exactly stupid), I'll have to say they're equals. Why?

Because Oak has at least twenty more years of experience than Bill. On the other hand, Bill has enough knowledge to be considered a rival towards Oak. It's wisdom-intelligence versus ingenuity-intelligence in this debate. The mentor versus the student.

Oak is the typical kind, old man. He's invented the Pokedex, but he can't fill it on his own. He can be a little critical (i.e. whenever he used to compare Ash to Gary), but if a trainer needed advice, he's just a phone call away. He's seen pretty much everything in his lifetime, or he carries himself like he does. (Then again, this was also the guy who's seen Celebi, so it wouldn't be surprising if he did.) Bill, on the other hand, has enough book smarts to know how to send a Pokemon through time, interpret behavior based on a voice recording alone, and figure out what move a Pokemon is about to use, but he just doesn't have the same edge just because he hasn't experienced the same amount of the world that Professor Oak has. That's really the only one-up Oak might have on Bill, though when it comes to intelligence alone, it's still a tough call.

Edit: Correcting a quote. Whoops.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Charizard_guardian767 said:
    also in the games he turns into a pokemon when he fiddled with a machine

An explanation for this is offered in Adventures. While he was trying to fix the inside of the machine, the door almost closed shut on him by itself. I say "almost" because when it was nearly shut, it latched onto his shirt tail as he went in and so slammed shut behind him. I have no doubt that this very explanation still holds true for the games as well; Bill really doesn't seem like the sort of person that would do that to himself.

I've also explained the Kabuto costume briefly in my prior post and will not touch upon it again unless someone wishes to debate on that subject.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Gengar894 said:
    Oak is obviously smarter than Bill cus he's just a Pokemon historian/lover and oak's a real qualified professor.

*sigh* Bill is a Pokemon analyst, expert, scientist, Pokemon researcher (in the anime), Pokeologist (see researcher), inventor (all incarnations except anime), possible Pokemon psychologist (anime), expert of extinct Pokemon (anime), administrator of the Kanto/Johto Pokemon Storage/Retrieval System in the games... Take your pick. He just calls himself a Pokemaniac, but that's not his occupation. It's just what he is, much like a supernerd is not actually the occupation of that specific type of trainer.

In addition, he is in no way a historian. I'm not entirely sure where you got that idea, but I am interested in hearing your explanation.

Furthermore, it was never established nor denied that he ever got anything beyond a bachelor's degree. (It is known, however, that he has at least graduated from college -- as established in Adventures -- regardless of his young age. It's not revealed how many years he's attended and what degrees he's acquired.) It's just established that he prefers being called by his first name, possibly because the original canon (i.e. the games) may have a disliking for formalities, including going to "fancy do's" and being addressed with a formal title such as "Professor."

Last edited:
    Years
    I'd say Bill's smarter. He can invent some cool stuff. And he tries to work out pokemon from the inside (i.e being one hehe) I don't think prof Oak has done that? Oak's smart and all, but not on the same level of smart

Years
    Who do I think that is smarter? Well that depends as I like them both equally. Yes Oak invented the Pokedex and Bill is a Poke Maniac, I think that they are both smart in their own way, so I can't choose really.

MegaFuz

Über Title
    Years
    Hmm...tough question. Oak seems to be more specified in the subject areas he is knowledgable in, whereas Bill knows a decent amount about a vast number of areas. I'd almost tend to lean towards Bill being more knowledgeable, but it's a real tough call. o.O

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2009
    I think that Kazeto Tamashii has made VERY good points. Oak is much wiser, yes, but that does not mean he's more intelligent. I think they have an equal IQ, and it shouldn't be the world's biggest deal as they both don't mind and seem to acknowledge each other ^^ Still fun to discuss though I guess

blastoise>you

blahblahblah
    Years
    This might not be valid reasoning but Oak gave me a Squirtle, Bill gave me an Eevee.

I like Blastoise better than any eon

Back