• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Professor Sycamore

Years
The fact that you can battle The Professor automatically makes him one of the best IMO.

I agree, it definitely gives him much more of a status and history that the others (perhaps except Professor Oak considering you were originally meant to battle him in Pokémon Red and Green)

I really hope that he meets up with you at certain points to not only check your Pokédex but check the power of your team (as long as he doesn't end up being like Colress and being 'good', but corrupted by his view of the power of Pokémon). Is it just me or is anyone else getting a villainous vibe from our dear Professor Sycamore here?​

Years
I think the professor should at least be the Champion. It's a twist I've been waiting for for many years. Considering he battles the player he's the best person for the position compared to past professors.

I think Professor Oak was supposed to be the champion in RBY or an ultimate trainer (like Red in Gen II), but they scrapped the plan. There is a trainer data for Professor Oak in RBY to back up this theory.

Anyways I'm not really interested in professors, though who knows if this one is actually intersting.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Is it just me or is anyone else getting a villainous vibe from our dear Professor Sycamore here?​
Nooo. I would be sad if he turned out to be a villain, haha. But also it would be a cool twist to a hopefully more intricate plot than in past games.

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
As a lot of people have mentioned, he looks relatively younger than all the previous Professors. Perhaps he was a trainer and did competitive battling before deciding to go the route of being some sort of scientist or professor, thus the idea that we get to battle him from time to time.

Oh my God...Ash finally grew up and got a job.

ImBlue

dabbadeedabadai
Years
I'm just interested in why he decides to give you a Pokemon. The whole "oh I've known you for so long/you look good enough" thing doesn't really cut it for me.

Sirfetch’d

Really in love with this professor. The name is really appealing as well as his design. I like how throughout the game you will have a chance to battle him at some point which makes him unique. He gives off the vibe that he would be a cool guy to have as a professor. Most of the previous professors were either old or just seemed kinda dull, but this guy gives off that adventurous vibe. I cannot wait to see what he is like in both the anime and the games~!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I'm just interested in why he decides to give you a Pokemon. The whole "oh I've known you for so long/you look good enough" thing doesn't really cut it for me.

That's never been a reason to hand out Pokemon. In the games all kids start getting Pokemon at the age of 10 so Porfessors always just hand them out to the kids of that age group. The main reason all the NPC's got their's was because its tradition.

Some had other motives such as Oak's completion of the Pokedex, Elm's body guard to run an errand, Birch's assist with research after saving him, Rowan and Juniper are the only two without motives to giving the player a Pokemon as with Rowan, it was self defense and the story impressed him so he allowed you to keep the Pokemon, and Juniper it was a birthday request from your mom/B2W2 Mom still requests you get a Pokemon.

This one, I don't even know if Sycamore gives you your Pokemon as you get the Pokedex from Trevor.

As for his age...he looks older than Elm who still currently has the title of Youngest Professor.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Oh my God...Ash finally grew up and got a job.
omg IT'S ALL COMING TOGETHER NOW.

I seem to have missed a lot. Sycamore doesn't give you your pokémon, hm? Maybe they grew tired of the old formula, at last.

EDIT: okay, read up a bit.
You will receive either Chespin, Fennekin or Froakie from your friend, you will also receive either Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle from Professor Sycamore!
Whoa.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
That's never been a reason to hand out Pokemon. In the games all kids start getting Pokemon at the age of 10 so Porfessors always just hand them out to the kids of that age group. The main reason all the NPC's got their's was because its tradition.

Some had other motives such as Oak's completion of the Pokedex, Elm's body guard to run an errand, Birch's assist with research after saving him, Rowan and Juniper are the only two without motives to giving the player a Pokemon as with Rowan, it was self defense and the story impressed him so he allowed you to keep the Pokemon, and Juniper it was a birthday request from your mom/B2W2 Mom still requests you get a Pokemon.

This one, I don't even know if Sycamore gives you your Pokemon as you get the Pokedex from Trevor.

As for his age...he looks older than Elm who still currently has the title of Youngest Professor.
With the exception of the Unova players go get their Pokémon at an older age that is. Which reminds me we still don't know how old the player characters are...

I'm guessing the secondary excuse (the one other than the 'everyone get's a Pokémon at age X' (no not the roman numeral for ten but X for unknown)) will proably be due to potential he sees in us...

blue

gucci
Years
Professor Sycamore just got much more interesting! Not only does he battle you but he gives you one of the original Kanto starters, that is awesome.

Years
Wonder why he gives us the Kanto starters...and how did he get them? Could he be from Kanto? Maybe he's Oak's son (aka Daisy and Green/Blue's father)!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Wonder why he gives us the Kanto starters...and how did he get them? Could he be from Kanto? Maybe he's Oak's son (aka Daisy and Green/Blue's father)!
Feels like there has been too many years between the games for him to still be so young if that was the case? Even in-game time I mean. Maybe he is Red's son instead!

Or maybe, if there isn't at all many years between these games and the first ones... He is Red's father~ Theorizing wildly here. Red's father was probably a trainer too, you know, and Sycamore is.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023

Feels like there has been too many years between the games for him to still be so young if that was the case? Even in-game time I mean. Maybe he is Red's son instead!

Or maybe, if there isn't at all many years between these games and the first ones... He is Red's father~ Theorizing wildly here. Red's father was probably a trainer too, you know, and Sycamore is.

Well, same can be reverted back to Professor Birch who gives out Johto Starters in Emerald. Why does he have them? Is he from Johto?

As for Sycamore...he's obviously not the dad...the last names indicate this. Gary/Blue's last name is Oak. His dad, if Oak's son would also be an Oak. I believe that the dad was Oak's son though I don't know if it were ever mentioned.

Doubt he's related to red as Red wouldn't be old enough by this time to have a 20 somethin year old kid.

Its not really that surprising that he'd have Pokemon that don't belong to his region. I mean he would be a horrible Professor if he didn't have things from other regions to study.

Years
I assumed Birch got the Johto ones from Elm...though the player character (May or Brandon depending on who you choose) is from Johto...hey maybe the Kalos player character dynamic will be similar and come from Kanto...it'll be a nice call back.

I don't think he's his dad, just wanted to bring that crazy theory out there xD. Though in Japan last names work differently than in the west in that sometimes the child can have the mothers name if the mother has no brothers in order to carry on the family name.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
What actually makes the "kanto" starters native to Kanto? After all, we can't find them in the wild.

We already know that Kalos has a mix of pokemon from different regions. Rather than assuming that Sycamore got them from Oak, what if both professors receive the Kanto starters through the same retailer/breeder?

Back