• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Programming Languages...

Years
    I don't know computing languages, but I know coding for mathematical software if that counts? One is called LaTeX and it's basically used to write up mathematics (it's much better than Microsoft Word for documents which has lots of maths involved). I'll spoiler an example of the coding for it.

Spoiler:

The other one I know is for an engineering software called MATLAB.

Spoiler:

Years
    AHHHHH OMFG MATLAB!
    People come into work with that and are like, it isn't working. I look at it like, da fudge?

To someone who has never used it and has to try and troubleshoot it, it is tough. Normally a problem with the license server but still! ;;​

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
    I don't know computing languages, but I know coding for mathematical software if that counts? One is called LaTeX and it's basically used to write up mathematics (it's much better than Microsoft Word for documents which has lots of maths involved). I'll spoiler an example of the coding for it.

Mathematical software counts... But I wouldn't really consider LaTeX "Mathematical software". While it's true that it can render advanced mathematics well, it is actually primarily used for documents and articles. When you compile it into a PDF, it is beautiful.

If you know LaTeX, you should write a resume in it... Anyone worth their weight in gold in the software industry will probably recognize it, and if they do, they will be impressed. :D

Years
    AHHHHH OMFG MATLAB!
    People come into work with that and are like, it isn't working. I look at it like, da fudge?

To someone who has never used it and has to try and troubleshoot it, it is tough. Normally a problem with the license server but still! ;;​

I used to hate MATLAB when I first started out with it lmao. But by the end of my degree I actually came to love it looooool. It's a really powerful piece of software and I'm glad I have experience with it.

Mathematical software counts... But I wouldn't really consider LaTeX "Mathematical software". While it's true that it can render advanced mathematics well, it is actually primarily used for documents and articles. When you compile it into a PDF, it is beautiful.

If you know LaTeX, you should write a resume in it... Anyone worth their weight in gold in the software industry will probably recognize it, and if they do, they will be impressed. :D

I might take your advice on that then!

Edit: And here's some LaTeX output for those who are not familiar with it;

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
    You forgot a couple of non-mathematical things about it to show it's capabilities. :V

This LaTeX code
    Code:
    % Created 2012-02-22 Wed 23:01
    \documentclass[11pt]{article}
    \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
    \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
    \usepackage{graphicx}
    \usepackage{longtable}
    \usepackage{hyperref}

\title{\vspace{-1.3in}Hey Drakow}
    \author{Archenoth}
    \date{22 February 2012}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
    \tableofcontents
    \vspace*{1cm}
    You forgot\ldots{}
    \section{How \LaTeX{} looks when creating non-mathematical formulas}
    \label{sec-1}

It makes very nice looking documents from very little.
    \section{The document classes}
    \label{sec-2}

The ways that documents can be rendered according to class
    \subsection{Subheadings}
    \label{sec-2.1}

This can include subheadings as well
    \section{PDF compilation}
    \label{sec-3}

\LaTeX{} .tex files literaly compile to PDF\ldots{} It's pretty awesome
    \section{Auto generation of a Table of Contents}
    \label{sec-4}

/tableofcontents makes a lot of work pretty easy

\end{document}

This generates a PDF that looks something like this:
    Spoiler:

As you can see... It's nothing too special, but with more in the paragraphs, documents look awesome!

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2012
    I use C++ since 3 years and it is very useful for me to do my programming works easily. You can do whatever you want, and everything tends to flow simply.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    Within the last eight-ish months, I've learned: Javascript, C, C#, C++ and I'm currently teaching myself Ruby and Python (don't ask why, they're hopelessly outdated!). I mostly use C# (combined with ASP.NET) for web development work, although I can also develop native Windows/Linux applications. I just find web development more fun!

This is my first post here since: June 25th, 2011. Wow.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Primarily C. I am also proficient in Python (including PySide, which you should all definitely look up because it's awesome) and Java. There are plenty of other languages I have a passing knowledge in, but these are the only three I would consider myself proficient in.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2012
    Since I usually only work on Windows native applications, I only use C++ and C#. I'm not too experienced in making efficient code in the first couple of revisions in C#, but that's just something to be learned.

Other than those, I've only messed with PHP and Python, which didn't turn out too well.

Back