• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Project idea: Pokemon Game Maker

MrDimwit64

Glitch Geek
Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2010
    Hi there guys I'm new to this forum.
    I have had great idea for a game, a program that allows you to make your own Pokemon games! (Don't get too exited. Its PC only.)
    Me myself being a game maker can make it.
    It will be mostly generation 1 based, programming 151 Pokemon is more than enough.
    If you want to have say in this project please reply or PM me.
    Btw if you want to give some code or help with it its going to be programmed in Game Maker 7 Pro so i can run it through with Anti-GmDecompiler Because ive had enough with another user on the games site where i post them.

Thanx for your time and feel free to ask me questions.
    Also tell me if i should make a forum for development.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    1)This goes in help & Requests, it's stickied.
    2)I doubt anyone will because most people don't use anything besides RMXP and poccils kit which leads me to 3
    3)Poccils kit is already here, and it has most everything
    4)A game creation program made in a game creation program won't work right, i've tried, and trust me it's a bad path, but waht I've learned is:
    It's all about external files and infinite variables, find a way to do that and your still screwed because that's not what GM is meant for.
    5) What do you mean by "Btw if you want to give some code or help with it its going to be programmed in Game Maker 7 Pro so i can run it through with Anti-GmDecompiler Because ive had enough with another user on the games site where i post them." GM Decompliers only work for GM, so you could use something else... also I would like to see some of your code as an example, something complex so that I know your not just another noob(not offensive, we're all one at one time) trying to get someone else to do work and the project goes nowhere.

Quite a rant >_>

kcrew

I dunno why I had to make it
    Years
  • This is what I'll say. Okay, so maybe it's not the most original idea. But I, for one, would like to see just what you create! Please, keep working on your Pokemon Game Maker!

MrDimwit64

Glitch Geek
    Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2010
    1)This goes in help & Requests, it's stickied.
    2)I doubt anyone will because most people don't use anything besides RMXP and poccils kit which leads me to 3
    3)Poccils kit is already here, and it has most everything
    4)A game creation program made in a game creation program won't work right, i've tried, and trust me it's a bad path, but waht I've learned is:
    It's all about external files and infinite variables, find a way to do that and your still screwed because that's not what GM is meant for.
    5) What do you mean by "Btw if you want to give some code or help with it its going to be programmed in Game Maker 7 Pro so i can run it through with Anti-GmDecompiler Because ive had enough with another user on the games site where i post them." GM Decompliers only work for GM, so you could use something else... also I would like to see some of your code as an example, something complex so that I know your not just another noob(not offensive, we're all one at one time) trying to get someone else to do work and the project goes nowhere.

Quite a rant >_>

What i meant was "This user (called zander789) keeps decompiling my games and digging in to my source code and once uploaded a tiny remake of my game and i was given NO CREDIT. Sad isn't it." and also loads of people use gm because it speeds up the process of making games. Btw there have been good games made with game maker and i am WAY passed the D&D stages and can use DLLs.

I had the idea after i couldn't really find ROM hacking tools that were in English.

I'm sorry if it does not meet your requirements but it might meet other's.

@Everyone
    Please if you want to hear back from me more accurately PMs are the best way.

Cheers.

Last edited:

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • What i meant was "This user (called zander789) keeps decompiling my games and digging in to my source code and once uploaded a tiny remake of my game and i was given NO CREDIT. Sad isn't it." and also loads of people use gm because it speeds up the process of making games. Btw there have been good games made with game maker and i am WAY passed the D&D stages and can use DLLs.

I had the idea after i couldn't really find ROM hacking tools that were in English.

I'm sorry if it does not meet your requirements but it might meet other's.

@Everyone
    Please if you want to hear back from me more accurately PMs are the best way.

Cheers.

You seem intent on doing this, even with the knowledge that PE is out for RMXP, GM has a huge community just like RMXP... So I'd be intersted in what the GM community could do with GML and your kit if you wanna create this go ahead, but know this will be a huge task and since you have the PE kit to compete with your standards should be kept high... Everyone already told you why you shouldn't make this kit, im telling why you should. But I believe the GM community would concider this an engine, then again i havent used my copy of GM7 in like 2-3 years... Just do what you want I think its a good idea.

Also Gm has a CBS found it like 2 years ago...
    Also they have a map system...

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    You seem intent on doing this, even with the knowledge that PE is out for RMXP, GM has a huge community just like RMXP... So I'd be intersted in what the GM community could do with GML and your kit if you wanna create this go ahead, but know this will be a huge task and since you have the PE kit to compete with your standards should be kept high... Everyone already told you why you shouldn't make this kit, im telling why you should. But I believe the GM community would concider this an engine, then again i havent used my copy of GM7 in like 2-3 years... Just do what you want I think its a good idea.

Also Gm has a CBS found it like 2 years ago...
    Also they have a map system...
    GM is coding from the ground up, he can build the map easily, and the "CBS" isn't a CBS it's a battle system, that will be difficult

KingCharizard

Years
  • GM is coding from the ground up, he can build the map easily, and the "CBS" isn't a CBS it's a battle system, that will be difficult

I know that, thats why some perfer GM to RMXP, it gives you more flexabilty... But I dunno if he wants to try I say we let him and keep our ears open for progress.

MrDimwit64

Glitch Geek
    Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2010
    If you want my opinion i think gm is somehow better.
    Unlike RMXP, GM is more complex. Some people Find RMXP better because of this but thats because it can only really make RPG games, While GM can make simple platformers to complex 3D games, and it can use DLLs too!
    I'm not saying that RMXP is bad but GM is just more extensive that's all.

Cheers.

Edit: I'm using gm also because of it's DLL and extension support because I'm using a NSF player for the background music and maybe
    GM Pokey (The Atari 800 sound card) for the sound effects

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Ruby has perfect support for both 3D and DLLs so your argument is invalid :)

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    That's not true. Essentials runs slowly on older computers, especially if you have a lot of custom scripts. Also, RMXP (and its games) only runs on Windows, meaning if you don't have Windows (or you prefer another OS), you'd have to find something else. You might be able to run RMXP using WINE, but I don't know for certain.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    GM is windows only, and is being ported to linux and mac.
    Theres also unconfirmed rumors of a GM runner on PSP, theres tons of evidence, it's just not announced.(The mods also posted an image and said it's not a picture of the GM loading screen on the PSP but it's actually running!)

KingCharizard

Years
  • If you want a complete solution for 3d games, I suggest a professional or open source 3d engine/rendering option. GM is not all that great at 3d, its better at 2.5D type games. There are better out of the box solutions. GM isn't a bad tool just requires you learn GML(Game Maker Language) While to get the full potential outts RMXP u need to learn Ruby(But it isn't required), Learing ruby is better than learning GML cause ruby isn't just for RMXP it can be used for appications among many other things. RMXP could be used for other game genres other than RPG but is more suited for an rpg, hence the name RPG Maker. RPG doesn't mislead in the title you know what your gonna get as soon as you buy it, but Enterbrain has developed a solution to this called AGM(Action Game Maker) Which can make platformers and other game genres. Anyways good luck on your project.

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
    Years
  • Yeah

Very true.
    Also, RMXP is not limited just to RPG games, as the help file says. You can create any game with RGSS and I think easier than GML. The only not so good part would be using the default RMXP editor, you'll have to build another one, like the Editor.exe from Essentials. But the problem is only for lazy guys, like me.

MrDimwit64

Glitch Geek
    Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2010
    Quotings

Ummmm.
    I didn't say Ruby was not better than GM,
    I was just saying that RMXP is not as extensive as GM.
    But i agree Ruby is even better, GM can only use DLLs that have been programmed in a specific way (but that's why they make DLLs to control DLLs).

Someday when i have had my time with game maker i will learn Ruby, or Java.

Ki77y666

I'm with stupid ^
    Years
  • That's not true. Essentials runs slowly on older computers, especially if you have a lot of custom scripts. Also, RMXP (and its games) only runs on Windows, meaning if you don't have Windows (or you prefer another OS), you'd have to find something else. You might be able to run RMXP using WINE, but I don't know for certain.

I agree that RMXP runs slower with custom scripts but i disagree that RMXP and its games only work on windows i have LINUX MINT and WINE and it works fine.

Back