• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pronunciations!

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
  • Do you have trouble pronouncing certain Pokemon's names?
    If so what ones?
    Do you get a shock when you think that you have been saying the Pokemon's name right but then hear the proper pronunciation in anime?
    Do you still not know how to pronounce a certain Pokemon's name?
    Are the new Pokemon's names giving you trouble?

Post you answers here!​

Personally I have a lot of trouble when it comes to pronouncing a Pokemon's name when I first see it. This was a lot worse when I was little. I'm having a little trouble with Zweilous. Is it pronounced zwei (like German for two)? I learn the proper pronunciations from the anime most of the time. I think I've got most of the older names down pact now. The new Pokemon names are giving me some trouble though (but first I have to learn them).

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • Gardevoir. How do you pronounce it? Gar-De-Buah or Gar-de-vor? Either way, I'm pronouncing it as gar-de-vor. Rayquaza as Rei-Quey-Za or Ray-Kwa-Za?

New English B/W names I have trouble pronouncing, let alone spell:
    Cofagrigus
    Beheeyem
    Tirtouga
    Zebstrika
    Alomomola (doesn't role on the tongue :P)

Ayselipera

Do you have trouble pronouncing certain Pokemon's names?
    I'm 100% sure I pronounce almost every single Pokemon's name wrong. The only ones I know I pronounce correctly are the ones I have heard from the anime and that's mostly just the first and second generation Pokemon.

Do you get a shock when you think that you have been saying the Pokemon's name right but then hear the proper pronunciation in anime?
    Not really a shock, I'm just more annoyed than anything. Especially when the spelling of a name clearly looks like what I've been saying all along, but the actual name will be stressed at certain syllables. I never say Pokemon names out loud anyways. I'm always either reading them or typing them so it really doesn't matter for me.

Do you still not know how to pronounce a certain Pokemon's name?
    Practically all of them. Especially any Pokemon after the second generation.

Are the new Pokemon's names giving you trouble?
    Yep. :D I've most likely butchered all their names by now.

Joey's Rattata

Top Percentage
    Years
  • The only Pokemon's name I can say I've ever had genuine trouble with is Suicune...

I always pronounced it as sooo-sign. When I found out is was pronounced as swee-coon I was heartbroken because I thought it had the best name ever.

I still occasionally pronounce it wrong by mistake... Forgive me Suicune!

Years
  • I don't think I've really ever had any trouble in pronouncing a Pokemon's name, and it always surprises me when people say that they had a hard time pronouncing Suicune (although maybe I was just lucky when I got younger when trying to say the name). Now that I'm thinking about it though, there are probably quite a few ways to pronounce it, but the only one I never understood was when someone said "swee-sign" or "soo-sign," unless they thought it was spelled Suicine.

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    Haha, glad I'm not the only one who's had trouble with Suicune. I pronounce it "swee-coon-eh", having never watched the animes. I think at this point it's safe to just pick our own pronunciations.

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
    Years
  • I'm sure there were others, but Suicune is the one that jumps out at me. I always thought it was Soo-ee-soon lol.

This is how everyone in my family said that until we played Pokemon Stadium 2!
    I think I said several 2nd generation names wrong until I heard them pronounced. But I don't remember which ones. I probably just put the wrong emphASis on the wrong sylABLE. LOL Seinfeld...

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Yep, when I was younger I used to struggle to pronounce some of the names of Pokémon, I don't really find it difficult now, however I am struggeling with Cofargrigus, in Gev V.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • I never had problems with Suicune. But I did have a lot of pronunciation problems with the 3rd generation pokemon. For one, I was too lazy to read out the entire name :P silly me and my 4th grade education back then.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I've always pronounced Suicune correctly. :(

I used to Girafarig as jar-fig lmao. Groudon was groo-don, Kyogre was ky-yo-gree, and Rayquaza was ray-quah-zuh. Also, I have been butchering Mismagius foreverrrr. Miss-may-jee-us. :( It's apparently miss-mag-ee-us?

CANNOT PRONOUNCE ALOMOLOLA TO SAVE MY LIFE or spell it i think

Folkedahl

Wizard
    Years
  • I pronounce everything but Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charmander, Starmie, and Horsea wrong. Those are the only ones I for sure know off the top of my head. I'm sure I can pronounce other easy ones like Pidgey, but I'm never sure with stuff like Togepi.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Do you have trouble pronouncing certain Pokemon's names?: Yes
    If so what ones?: Bouffalant, for one.
    Do you get a shock when you think that you have been saying the Pokemon's name right but then hear the proper pronunciation in anime?: Yes, and that was Bonsly.
    Do you still not know how to pronounce a certain Pokemon's name?: See second answer.
    Are the new Pokemon's names giving you trouble?: See second answer.

Years
  • I probably pronounce every single Pokemon wrong, except stuff like Weedle where there's really nothing to do wrong. And, coincidentally, I'm horrible at phonetic spelling in English, so I won't even try to give examples.

Ayselipera

I've always pronounced Suicune correctly. :(

I used to Girafarig as jar-fig lmao. Groudon was groo-don, Kyogre was ky-yo-gree, and Rayquaza was ray-quah-zuh. Also, I have been butchering Mismagius foreverrrr. Miss-may-jee-us. :( It's apparently miss-mag-ee-us?

CANNOT PRONOUNCE ALOMOLOLA TO SAVE MY LIFE or spell it i think

Umm... well this is sad. :( I've been pronouncing Groudon and Rayquaza like that forever now. I didn't know they were wrong until I read your post. Just goes to show how much I don't know the names past the second generation!

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I don't really care much about the pronunciation of pokemon names. Haven't really been watching Pokemon anime for years (except a few episodes, and movies when I get the chance). I'm pretty sure 50% of my pronunciations are wrong. If I don't know how to pronounce a pokemon's name, I just go about saying whatever comes to my mouth. And I'm pretty sure I don't know 90% of the new pokemon, let alone bothering with their pronunciations.

Years
  • This is how everyone in my family said that until we played Pokemon Stadium 2!
    I think I said several 2nd generation names wrong until I heard them pronounced. But I don't remember which ones. I probably just put the wrong emphASis on the wrong sylABLE. LOL Seinfeld...

Haha glad I'm not the only one!! :D

On topic: I just remembered another one was Rayquaza... I always pronounced it Ray-Kwah-Zah instead of Ray-Kway-Zah lol. Not a big difference but it came as a surprise when I heard it for the first time lol!

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I don't see how Suicune could be so troublesome... conventional knowledge of the English language will tell you that it's a hard C, not a soft C. :/

Because I've been out of the loop for the past month, I just discovered the GenV English names earlier today and I think the average time for me to sound them all out and pronounce them was like ten seconds each. >_>

Back