• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pronunciations!

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
Years
  • I always hated in the show how Ash said "Poke-uh-mon" rather than "Po-kay-mon". I have no idea how Gryados is supposed to be..some people say "Gaar-a-dose" some say "Gare-a-dose" and I've even heard "Gyro-dose".

The Pretender

The Monkey's Paw
    Years
  • I've always pronounced Rayquaza as "Ruh-kway-zuh" even though I know it's wrong. Raikou is always sorta weird too, is it "Ry-koo" or "Ry-kow"?

Archipelago

Who knows?
    Years
  • I've always really managed to pronounce most Pokemon names right, mostly out of blind luck than anything else. I remember during the early days of Pokemon Red I used to think Rattata never had the extra 'a' on the end, with me calling it Rattat. That was more of a miss-read than anything else though. But I guess Xatu is the one in which I've actually pronounced wrong.

I had always spoken the X far too strongly, making it sound like this "Ex-ah-too" rather than "Za-too". I pronounce it right now though, which is probably a good thing...

But then again, I guess that I've been finding most of the Generation V Pokemon difficult to pronounce, although to be honest, I always make a few slip ups at the begining of a new generation. After swirling the word around for a few minutes, I tend to find the right way to pronounce it. Well, I do usually.

Mewtwo152

nomnomnomnonmnom
    Years
  • I've always said Suicune as 'Sui-coo', because that's how Eusine seemed to say it in one episode. I used to call Raikou 'Rai-kooh' instead of 'Rai-koh', and I call Rayquazza and Milotic 'Rayqwazza' and 'Mill-o-tick'.

A few days ago, I realized I'd been adding a's into Zapdos and Girafrig, saying Zapados and Girafarig.

MysticFlygon

Rookie Hacker
    Years
  • Well before I go into the name I'll never figure out, I have to say I was surprised when I heard what I thought was the uh-nova region pronounced as u-nova in the anime. But anyway, the name I'm having trouble with is Reuniclus. Since the U's in Pokemon seem to just make the "u" sound I'm guessing it's pronounced ree-u-nic-lus but of course I'm not sure.

Years
  • I've always pronounced Chimecho wrong on purpose because I think my way sounds cooler...
    On the anime, they pronounce it Chime - echo (As in ECHO...Echo... echo...)
    But I've always pronounced it Chime - cho. :D
    I still pronounce Shedinja as Shedninja..
    And until the anime pronounced Riolu (RI-O-loo) as RI-loo
    As for Rayquaza, I've always pronounced it as Ray-Quar-Zah...

But what about Regice? My friends always argued about this one. We never knew whether it was Rejj-ice, Regi-ice or Reg-ice...

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Do you have trouble pronouncing certain Pokemon's names?
    If so what ones?
    Do you get a shock when you think that you have been saying the Pokemon's name right but then hear the proper pronunciation in anime?
    Do you still not know how to pronounce a certain Pokemon's name?
    Are the new Pokemon's names giving you trouble?

Post you answers here!​

Personally I have a lot of trouble when it comes to pronouncing a Pokemon's name when I first see it. This was a lot worse when I was little. I'm having a little trouble with Zweilous. Is it pronounced zwei (like German for two)? I learn the proper pronunciations from the anime most of the time. I think I've got most of the older names down pact now. The new Pokemon names are giving me some trouble though (but first I have to learn them).

I've always pronounced Chimecho wrong on purpose because I think my way sounds cooler...
    On the anime, they pronounce it Chime - echo (As in ECHO...Echo... echo...)
    But I've always pronounced it Chime - cho. :D
    I still pronounce Shedinja as Shedninja..
    And until the anime pronounced Riolu (RI-O-loo) as RI-loo
    As for Rayquaza, I've always pronounced it as Ray-Quar-Zah...

But what about Regice? My friends always argued about this one. We never knew whether it was Rejj-ice, Regi-ice or Reg-ice...

Hmm...

Missingno.:
    Despite the full rendering of "Missing Number", I still call this guy "MIS-ing-no" or "MIS-ing-go".
    Groudon: I pronounce it "GRAU-don." I LOL when I hear the pronunciation of "GROO-don."
    Kyogre: I pronounce it "KY-o-gurr." LOL at the pronunciation "KY-o-gray".
    Rayquaza: I pronounced it "Ray-QUAH-zaa". Upon watching Destiny Deoxys, I hear the pronunciation "Ray-QUAY-zuh". I still stand firm on my original pronunciation.
    Shedinja: I occasionally pronounce it as "Shed-Ninja" due to glossing over the lack of an "N".
    Regice: I pronounce it REH-ji-ice, though I've heard "REH-jice" as a valid pronunciation as well. With the Regis in general, regarding the Regi prefix, I alternate between "Reh-JEE" and "Rehj-EYE".
    Illumise: WTF, anime? "Ill-u-MI-zay?" I pronounce it "ILL-u-mize." I honestly don't see how you could get the anime pronunciation from first glance.
    Dialga: I tend to pronounce it "Dee-AHL-ga". I've heard "DYE-ahl-ga" at times, which is a decent pronunciation.
    Giratina: I tend to pronounce it as "JEE-rah-tee-nuh." There was one Platinum commercial where I heard it rendered as "GEAR-ah-tee-na", which sounds equally cool. :)
    Snivy: I thought it was "SNIH-Vee" ("snih" rhymes with the "rih" in river.) Apparently, it's "Sn-EYE-VEE." I had a feeling the actual pronunciation of ivy would be used, but it still sounds weird IMO.

Sometimes the anime pronunciations surprise me. Generation 5 looks like it has the weirdest Pokemon names ever in terms of pronunciation. Snivy is my first main problem. >.<

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    There's always some pokemon I've pronounced wrong. Heck, I'm sure I've pronounced nearly everything wrong since Gen II since that was the last generation I was really involved in. Even then, I'd pronounced Suicune wrong, but that name is just confusing unless you hear someone say it first. o.O Of course some of the newer pokemon names are really... confusing and I know I'll be pronouncing some of them wrong after I buy the games but, eh, that's okay, right? :D I like hearing them in the anime, but then sometimes I think they sound wrong but maybe that's because I thought I was right.

Rosebud2

My Pokemon is Fight!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2012
    I used to think that Scyther was pronounced "Skyther" and not "Syther." Even after my brother corrected me I still forget a lot out of habit. And I've never been sure, is Raikou "Rye-koo" or "Rye-ih-koo"? I pronounce it both ways.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I'm so bad with the Pokémon pronunciations. XD I have a horrible habit of calling Suicune "Sue-eye-cune" when it's "Swee-cune," I screwed up Bonsly's name by calling it "Bawns-lee" instead of "Bawns-lie" and I keep saying "Rye-koo" instead of "Rye-ko" for Raikou. I though Snivy was pronouced "Snih-vee" for the longest time and thought it was ridiculous because it sounded like "sniffly" :(

Others include Rayquaza - I thought it was "Ray-kwah-za" instead of "Ray-kway-za." I also have a bad habit of calling Regice "Regis," hahaha.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I used to think that Scyther was pronounced "Skyther" and not "Syther." Even after my brother corrected me I still forget a lot out of habit.

SKY-ther? Whoa; haven't heard that one before. Sounds cool, though. I've heard Scyther's name and its unique PokeSpeak accent in the anime for the longest time, so I've always pronounced it SY-ther.

I'm so bad with the Pokémon pronunciations. XD I screwed up Bonsly's name by calling it "Bawns-lee" instead of "Bawns-lie"

Wait, it's BAWNS-Lie? I thought it was BAWNS-Lee... >_>

Years
  • I've always pronounced Suicune 'soo-ee-soon', Groudon 'gr-ow-don' (like brown, not row), Kyogre 'kee-oh-gur' (like, ya know, 'ogre') and Arceus 'ar-see-us'. Apparently all of these are wrong?

Not sure if Pidgeot should be pronounced 'pij-ee-ott' or just 'pij-ott' though. I always thought they said the former in the anime, but Battle Revolution used the latter.

Would be nice if they gave us a pronunciation guide when introducing weird names in a text-only game, though. :D

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
    Years
  • I think you say Groudon right. I could be wrong, though.
    You say it like the start of 'ground' right? except you leave of the n and the d, and then you just say 'don' at the end? I think that's right, dude. But no, it isn't soo-ee-soon. That's how I said it at first too. It's swee-coon.

I have no idea about Pidgeot. Both ways are accepted, I think.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I've no idea. I don't have cause to say monster names. I don't care about official pronunciation anyway, if one says a word and people understand it regardless, then we're all none the worse.

I use to pronounce Suicune, Su-Coon but people tell me it's suppose to be Swee-Coon.
    I'd personally go for SU-isoon or SU-iku-né.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't see the problem with suicune, I could pronounce his name from when I first learned about him. It makes me so angry when people pronounce rayquaza "ray-qwa-zah," even though theyve seen the movie 10 times. Or are they right, and I pronounce it wrong?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • Rayquaza is something I have trouble pronouncing. I've always been led to believe that it was pronounced Ray-quah-zah but they mention in the anime that it's mentioned Ray-quay-zah. Another thing i have a problem with is Axew. I don't have a problem pronouncing it, but why do they pronounce it like Ack-shoo? Sounds really dumb imo.

Also Pokemon in general. Apparently I read once that it's one of the top ten games to pronounce, or at least mispronounced. A lot of people including myself pronounce it like Poh-keh-mon or some other variant, but it's meant to be pronounced Poh-kay-mon. or something. :/

Back