• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Proposed Tennessee bill would make it a crime to practice Sharia law.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Waah??? I thought people were over the unjustified hysteria that Islam was bad... Apparently not...

This makes it even more obvious that Tennessee is only fit for white Americans... I mean there are cults out there, legitimate ones, and this guy bans a legitimate religion... Wow...

I hope people protest this, Muslims, and people who enjoy freedom alike...

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years

Good to see that ignorance and bigotry are alive and well in the South.
    I read the article, and...
    Well, first of all, I have to protest to this. Isn't it just slightly hypocritical that you make a general statement about Southerners in the same sentence that you damn us for ignorance and bigotry?

This has nothing to do with "the South." Don't group the entire region together while you cry about ignorance and bigotry.

Anyway, moving on...

Waah??? I thought people were over the unjustified hysteria that Islam was bad... Apparently not...

This makes it even more obvious that Tennessee is only fit for white Americans... I mean there are cults out there, legitimate ones, and this guy bans a legitimate religion... Wow...

I hope people protest this, Muslims, and people who enjoy freedom alike...
    Now, after the above comment, I just want to say that no, I do not support people torching Muslim construction sites, and using force to drive out mosques. Then again, I wish people would realize that pounding nails into your own wrists doesn't make you a martyr, but...

Anyway. I don't support this (And what do you know, I'm Southern!), and I think that the people behind these crimes are absolutely disgusting.

Now, about the actual law itself... Once again, I don't support it.

But sitting around on an internet forum, complaining about Southerners and laws you don't like isn't going to change it.

Write a letter to your Congressman, or the Tennessee politicians, and do something about it.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I'd certainly encourage the same. As I told my American buds to do so for DADT. I can't myself, being Canadian. Though for Canadian action I did send a letter about the abhorring internet usage law that the CRTC was going to enact, thankfully as of which has now been repealed due to over 500 000 signatures from a petition.

Years
    Well, first of all, I have to protest to this. Isn't it just slightly hypocritical that you make a general statement about Southerners in the same sentence that you damn us for ignorance and bigotry?

This has nothing to do with "the South." Don't group the entire region together while you cry about ignorance and bigotry.

Then why, time after time, do we see this same ignorance and intolerance coming from the former confederate states? Jim Crow, segregation, the KKK, the Koran burning preacher, etc. Old habits die hard. Was that a generalized statement? Yes it was. Does that mean it's entirely wrong? No. There is a measure of truth to that statement. Now, there's plenty of racists and bigots all over this country. I'm well aware of that. But you always seem to see the major problems concerning religion, race, etc, originating from the bible belt and the old south.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years

Then why, time after time, do we see this same ignorance and intolerance coming from the former confederate states? Jim Crow, segregation, the KKK, the Koran burning preacher, etc. Old habits die hard. Was that a generalized statement? Yes it was. Does that mean it's entirely wrong? No. There is a measure of truth to that statement. Now, there's plenty of racists and bigots all over this country. I'm well aware of that. But you always seem to see the major problems concerning religion, race, etc, originating from the bible belt and the old south.
    Okay, you've got me there.

About one hundred and fifty years ago, the South was racist, just as everyone else was. I mean, I know history teaches us that the Northerners were busy instituting justice for all while the Southerners were beating blacks for fun, but do you really believe this is true?

And, just out of curiosity, wasn't there some big hubbub over a Muslim community center near ground zero? If the North was tolerant, they would allow the Muslims to set up there. And yet, the racist New Yorkers told the Muslims that they wouldn't have it.

It doesn't add up.

I want to know why the history books are so full of the South being racist towards blacks, yet they have a considerable amount less to say about the racism towards immigrants that the North exhibited. Surely, if it's so horrific for the South to be just as racist as everyone else, then the same standards should apply to Northerners.

Additionally, have you been to New Orleans lately? Blacks and whites (Yes, I call them "blacks and whites." What's in a name, besides PC garbage?) are partying together. In harmony. Everyone's having a good time, race be damned.

In other news, there have been several racial riots all around the country in the last decade, particularly in the North East and California.

I doesn't add up.

Am I saying the South is a shining example of racial harmony? No, by no means. However, I just want to say that the South isn't some horrific hellhole that shoots anyone that isn't white. I find it more offensive to go out of your way to be extra unoffended by someone, just because they're a different race than you.

If the South is so racist, explain this to me:

Why do I wake up in the morning, listen to a black man singing on the radio, go to school with black students (And no riots break out!), listen to my black teacher, listen to a speech from my black president, and go home, all without any conflict ensuing?

And did I mention there's a Muslim in one of my classes? At a Catholic school?

I'm sick of revisionist history. That's Marxist ideology, and I hate to see America fall prey to it.

Whatever. I'm not having this argument, I gotta go prepare for Mardi Gras tomorrow.

Laissez les bon temps rouler.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Ironically the revisionist history stuff, is already taking place by a textbook company in Texas. I read a bit about it, and to be honest I was kind of scared...

I can't remember off hand what was being changed, but among other things, one of the changes was that it was not black people (Martin Luther King Jr. et al) who helped gain recognition for black people, but only white people's decision to allow it so. And other word usage changes...

Anthraxinsoup

Professional Vidya Player
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    You North Americans take things for granted. In France many girls are jumped by Muslim boys(and I've seen it happen) for dressing as a French girl, and not as a Muslim. Stop Ja, that was a good program. When your country is over run with Muslims screaming ALLAH AKBAR and blowing themselves up is bad. I lost a family members in the airport attack this year in Russia. Sharia Law also supports marrying young girls, this is our world, that is a sick and vile thing and I hate nothing more than paedophiles. I hate them more than anything when I say this it's true, I get pissed even at the thought of them, and don't tell me times were different when Muhammad married a 9 year old, that wasn't even fertile age yet and he was 54! THAT IS SICK AND THAT IS FORSURE!

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    You North Americans take things for granted. In France many girls are jumped by Muslim boys(and I've seen it happen) for dressing as a French girl, and not as a Muslim. Stop Ja, that was a good program. When your country is over run with Muslims screaming ALLAH AKBAR and blowing themselves up is bad. I lost a family members in the airport attack this year in Russia. Sharia Law also supports marrying young girls, this is our world, that is a sick and vile thing and I hate nothing more than paedophiles. I hate them more than anything when I say this it's true, I get pissed even at the thought of them, and don't tell me times were different when Muhammad married a 9 year old, that wasn't even fertile age yet and he was 54! THAT IS SICK AND THAT IS FORSURE!
    The only problem is, America feels so horrifically guilty about each and every little thing, that we take the American Dream too far, and are blinded to common sense.

Years
    No religion should be singled out like this. What people want to do in their own lives is their business and if they want to follow particular religious principles that's their business.

That said, I don't like some of the interpretations of sharia law as practiced in various corners of the world and in general I think law should always be secular. I'm so not cool with forced marriage and beating people for imagined offenses against someone's religious sensibilities. When you have someone who thinks they're following god's laws then they think they're above the laws the rest of us agree to follow. In extreme cases you get lots of violence so I can maybe almost see where someone might think a law banning sharia law would help, but as long as people follow the regular ol' laws then we don't need anything special that targets specific groups of people.

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    I have to say: why does it matter? Sharia law isn't valid in court jurisdiction in any US state, so why does it matter that the court bans it? The tenets of daily life and stuff aren't able to be banned, as that would violate the practicing of freedom of religion.

Anthraxinsoup

Professional Vidya Player
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    The only problem is, America feels so horrifically guilty about each and every little thing, that we take the American Dream too far, and are blinded to common sense.
    I moved to America to have a better life and get a more accepted Medical Degree. Have you ever lived in a 2nd world country? I love Poland and any attack on her will result in my giving my life to kill the people who attacked her. Paedophilism is supported by Sharia Law, which is illegal in Western worlds(and not to mention the worst thing you can ever do). It should be banned.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I'll predict the outcome of the inevitable lawsuits: The 1st Amendment's Free Exercise clause invalidates this bill if it is passed.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    I don't hold it against you Americans, rather I blame the bigots that are allowed into congress these days (or however it is your legislative system works). I don't even blame Christianity. It's always been a personal belief of mine that no religion, not even that one with the DC-8 and the volcano (You know who you are ;D), is inherently bad or preaches strife amongst races. Sects of certain religions, The Nation of Islam being a prominent example, certainly do advocate some form of discord, but they're just deviants, and are therefore not representative of the entire religion.

I must protest.

You're one of those internet people who think they know everything about a certain group of people just because they've either experienced the threat or have read about it somewhere on the internet. I empathise with you for your loss, but I don't go around burning German flags for what the Nazis did.

Anyway, what you're saying is that Islam, as a religion, is evil for all these things that people do? Allow me to emphasize that you're blaming a religion for what people (misguided people) do.

As for Muhammad (S.A.W.) marrying a nine year old girl... I bet you went on Wikipedia or one of those other hate sites didn't you? Allow me to enlighten you:

Fact: Any account of Muhammad's (S.A.W.) life, narrated through the eyes of his followers is known as a Hadith.
    Fact#2: Hadiths are not the penultimate word of God. Not all of them are reliable.
    Fact#3: The Hadith in question contradicts both historical and Quranic evidence.

And also, Shariah law prohibits the consummation of marriage for someone who hasn't yet reached mental and sexual maturity.

Problem?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    He just said bigotry is alive and well there. A bit redundant, since it's alive everywhere, but still.

Like you said, you can find it anywhere. There's no real reason to single out the South. I think a better way to put it would have been "What a dumb bigot this guy is" or something.

As for the story... what a dumb bigot this guy is. Even if it does pass by some freak accident, they can take it to the Supreme Court and have it ruled unconstitutional, since it's an obvious first amendment violation.

EDIT: oh, it's two guys. THESE guys are bigots.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    It should be illegal to illegalize Sharia Law since it is a major part of a large religion.

It should be illegal to legalize Sharia Law (as in, make it the law of the land for everyone in the US to practice) because that's putting another religion's belief upon another religion. This is what some Muslims want to do (some, not most). I don't know why people pay attention to the extreme minority within another background. It makes me angry.

Tennessee, you suck I understand what they're doing. But it still sucks.

Sharia Law would never get put into lawbooks here in the US, I don't understand why people are so afraid of it being put into place here. We do have freedom of Religion here, that let's others practice religion, but it also limits religion from getting into law.

I grew up in a Muslim community. I loved them to death. To this day, they were the best people I've ever met. They didn't want Sharia Law. :/

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Ouch ouch, and more ouch. I know the south seems to get a lot of slack for this but even kids near my area, which by the way is about 30 miles from Dearborn, practically US Capitol of Islam, want them all to die in a hole, and think they're inherently horrible people because they're not Christian (I'm serious). Seriously, every time I hear that, it makes me just want to hit them when they say something like that. People have a huge racism against pretty much anything that isn't the white Christian male majority in this country...

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I don't hold it against you Americans, rather I blame the bigots that are allowed into congress these days (or however it is your legislative system works). I don't even blame Christianity. It's always been a personal belief of mine that no religion, not even that one with the DC-8 and the volcano (You know who you are ;D), is inherently bad or preaches strife amongst races. Sects of certain religions, The Nation of Islam being a prominent example, certainly do advocate some form of discord, but they're just deviants, and are therefore not representative of the entire religion.
    1) Scientology is not a religion, it is a business. Religions don't have trade secrets.
    2) We elect our representatives. Ours is a representative constitutional democratic republic. We elect representatives to serve our interests (a flawed system to begin with, in my opinion).

The first real problem is with corporate sponsorship and lobbying, which has been compounded by a recent 5-4 ruling by the Supreme Court that lifted the limit on corporate campaign donations. Corporations pay big bucks to advertise whatever candidate they can manipulate best, which ensures the worst of the worst filth makes their way into office. These sort have no integrity and will gladly vote to destroy whatever freedoms we have if they get re-elected for it, and they make up the majority of congress. Few are the Senators or Representatives with the integrity to stand up for what they feel is right.

The second problem is a flaw with democracy, or rather our implementation of it. If the majority of people are bigots, bigotry becomes law. This is a problem with democracy in general. However, our implementation of democracy, which relies on districting and representation instead of actual vote counts, exacerbates the problem. If large groups of like-minded people live in the same area, they get a bigger voice than smaller numbers of people living all over the country. So if you have a bunch of bigots overly represented in one state or district, you make national news by trying to outlaw the customs of an entire religion, but if you have a bunch of programmers and IT people all over the country crying tears of blood over patent law insanity, nobody gives you the time of day.

It should be illegal to illegalize Sharia Law since it is a major part of a large religion.

It should be illegal to legalize Sharia Law (as in, make it the law of the land for everyone in the US to practice) because that's putting another religion's belief upon another religion. This is what some Muslims want to do (some, not most). I don't know why people pay attention to the extreme minority within another background. It makes me angry.

Tennessee, you suck I understand what they're doing. But it still sucks.

Sharia Law would never get put into lawbooks here in the US, I don't understand why people are so afraid of it being put into place here. We do have freedom of Religion here, that let's others practice religion, but it also limits religion from getting into law.

I grew up in a Muslim community. I loved them to death. To this day, they were the best people I've ever met. They didn't want Sharia Law. :/
    According to the topic, the law will make it illegal to practice Sharia law, which is stupid.

Provided people abide by the law of the land as well, there's nothing wrong with an additional set of rules if that's what your faith dictates, and outlawing such is silly (and a first amendment violation).

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I need more information.

How does this work in the United States? Is Sharai law only something practiced privately? Does it replace the judicial system in anyway?

Here, in Canada, "faith-based arbitration" is allowed to settle certain matters outside of the court system. Now, if that is the case in the States as well, then, yes, I would be against that. Not vehemently, mind you, because it doesn't really concern me.

But, in the case of Sharia law, for example, women fare far worse in divorce, child custody and inheritance matters - which is what "faith-based arbitration" covers.

So, in the name of equality I would agree that it shouldn't be practiced in such a manner that usurps the court system. But, again, like I said earlier - if that is not actually the case in the States, and it is more like a private/personal living code - then I don't care if it is practiced.

Back