• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    It was most likely an exclusive for HGSS only. They probably removed the feature so they could include the new features we have now. I guess I don't mind it much, as I'm sure it will still have us to continue playing HGSS for this feature itself. Besides with the new features we have now, there is still more enjoyment for us to participate in.

Anyway, I think one of the biggest (or main, I should say) pros for this game would be the Triple/Rotational battling feature. I think this gives us a good way to experience competitive battling in a new way as well as non-competitive battling. Sure it may just seem like a regular battle except this time with three, but there's also the fact that there's a specific way to do it all; this is where the rotational battling style comes in.

I think the only main con I have so far until I play the game for myself, would be by not having the following feature. An HGSS exclusive I understand that, but it still would have been fun to have the feature included again. Other than that, it's not that bothersome for me so it's all good. n_n;

From what I can see and hear until I can actually play it for myself, Black and White are quite the games. Still, I'm sure when I do get to experience it for myself I probably won't have that much cons to list at all as I tend to adjust to new or different things quickly. Seeing as it also received a 40 rating and I absolutely loved DPPt, I might not want to even put the games down. u_u

xMiZx

Lazy Battler
    Years
    It's going through a lot of changes imo.

There are a lot of pros about Black/White. First, the story seems a bit darker than the originals. I like how they're making the story the same concept of the older games but putting it in a different world and feeling. It makes you feel like you're playing a new game. The soundtrack is amazing. Seemed like they took some risks to make it different, and it works. I agree with Kaori with the 3-on-3 Rotation battles. It's a normal battle, but it's a test of prediction. It's going to change the competitive community very much.

At the moment, the only con is that the gym leaders only has three pkmn to battle with as you're going for your badges. Although I can understand seeing that the other 493 pkmn aren't in the region your first playthrough.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years

In a way how else would you be able to transfer your 4th generation game Pokemon into the Black and White games? Just go to a friend and borrow their DS so you can trade your Pokemon

:t354:TG
    Well I wish we could do what they did between gen I and II where you just trade so then you can trade to a friend in Wi-fi and then trade them from ther to your own B or W (I have no friends with a DS)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    The favourite Pokemon thread is for the Pokemon that actually do exist, so I moved the post to the pros/cons discussion, so you can discuss here whether you think it's a good or bad thing that there aren't any Eevee evolutions. :x

The Red Chain

B&W is so dead, haha. Allow me to bring some life back momentarily.

For the topic brought up above, I think it's a plus there's no Eevee evolutions.
    Despite my desire to see a Ghost and/or Flying one, I wouldn't really like having a mini-Arceus running around with all the type variations.

I did discover another pro though as I've played through : The plentiful vending machines!
    Lemonades are amazing to have since they are cheaper than Super Potions, available early, and heal even more than Super Potions do. Sometimes I even prefer them over Hyper Potions.
    The fact they are available practically everywhere throughout the game is simply genius. <3

Oh, and yet another pro I just thought of : Tabunne. Practically the same amount of experience Chansey gives, except extremely early game and extremely easy to hunt down.
    Not to mention you find it everywhere just like a regional pest. The thing is a blessing when it comes down to pure grinding. I finally don't have to dread training! :D

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    was anyone else expecting another eevee evolution?
    or was it just me?

I wasn't, but I kind of did in a way, as a lot of people were expecting one and speculating on the next eeveelution typing.

I hope there are future eeveelutions, as there are 7 now (though I doubt anymore will ever be created. 7 is the magic number). I dont mind that there were no eeveelutions in this gen.

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2011
    I think one of the pros are *fixing* location-specific evolving.
    In the sense that you couldn't evolve into Leafeon, Probopass, etc in HG/SS.
    I absolutely hated that aspect of the game, and at least they have new location to do it in.

I'm in a way relieved that there weren't any past-pokemon evolutions in the game, but it's just me. I don't see the point of building on some evolution lines. Or at least not a ton of them at once, being Magmortar, Electivire, and so on. [On that note, I really don't like baby pokemon and the incense crap that comes with it. Happiness is random, but I can deal with it. Happiness and a stone is just 'waaat', even though it's not a B/W deal. I'm glad there's no pre-evos.] I guess the only pro of that is being able to use the "same", just evolved, pokemon that now has higher stats. Though I am confused about the one that looks like Luvdisc, which is weird that it never even had an evolution in the first place.

I haven't looked at all of the ways of evolving. I'm mostly fine with higher-than-usual levels to evolve, but I hope any stone or trade-related trades are in moderation. I'm not a huge fan of trading pokemon with items that aren't easy to come by. At least, maybe for me, those items being Protector King's Rock, Deepsea items. Electirizer/Magmarizer (sp probably) aren't so bad, but you have to catch the random baby pokemon and hope they have it.

Like other people, I don't love all the new pokemon, but the phase will probably pass, or I hope. Also disappointed at the Fire/Fight starter once again, but I'll live. Event pokemon aren't super exciting for me, mostly because I don't hear about (or really research, so, my fault) the events, so maybe I can actually care and finally go to some.

All in all, I'm looking forward to it. I'm just a fan. The pokemon, the breeding, and the game in general.

Last edited:

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
    I like the games and the region and the new features that it's bringing us, but;

• No evoloutions from previous gens.
    • No pre-evo's from previous gens.
    • No Eeveeloutions.
    • The 3D get's a little repetitive in some places ... doesn't feel as Pokemon like anymore.
    • Not blaming the creators [because it's hard to make legit Pokemon] but the Pokemon design has gone down, in my opinion.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Was it that good for you?

I understand why black and white got a perfect score its amazing, its only fault for me was im bored after everythings done( i dont capture or raise other pokemon because im waiting for the english copy to do that) This is my third time playing thru it . So to get back on point.....i was looking for some other good rpgs for the ds , ive played a couple(rune factory 3, Golden sun dark dawn) but none seems to be better then B/W or even comes close. I dont know why but thats how i feel now. Does anyone feel the same?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Well, in the past you've made a similar thread like this, saying how B/W makes you not want to play other games as much, which, could either be taken as a pro or a con (since this is generally the thread where you discuss your thoughts as a whole of the games rather than any other thread).

And since you did state a con in your post, I think that if this thread was left on its own, people would eventually start discussing pros and cons as to why they don't want to play any other game, so merged where people can still discuss.~

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    Loved.
    • How the battling system has been sped up.
    • The stunning 3D graphics.
    • How there's more to do after the E4/League.
    • Dream World.
    • The introduction of Desukan <3 You sexy Coffin' you.

Hated
    • How my games in Japanese
    • How quickly the game goes by.
    • How easy the game is and how it doesn't provide a challenge..

Years
    Unfortunately, I am disappointed in the ending of the game.

Just credits? Seriously? HG/SS did a better job at showing the credits, come on.

But I now love the Winter season. It's. So. PRETTY.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    Ohhh thats another thing I should of added to my Loved list.

The seasons. I love how with each season can bring you different varieties of Pokemon and Items, such as Winter, the Snow makes hills into different places for rarer Pokemon and Items.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    I like the approach the Black & White has taken with Pokemon. It makes the video games seem modern and fresh and I think they took risks by spicing up the games but - in my opinion - those risks paid off, big time. I also love the overall designs of the Pokemon. Yeah, it's more of a personal reasoning but I think they signify what Pokemon should look like (crazy, mythical creatures) and the designs are certainly unique!

Finally, I love the new way they've enhanced competitive battling by adding some new creatures to the mix. I know yhis happens pretty much with every generation but this one (and don't quote me too much on this, I've only skimmed the stats) seems to have produced a balance that most competitive battlers will revel in. That and it looks like the Battle Frontier Subway will be so interesting!

Sleet

Forum Lurker
    Years
    I'm a nostalgia freak and despise the new Pokemon.

Everything else is pretty good.

Last edited:
    Back