• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Did anyone mention the con of Selfdestruct and Explosion no longer halving the opponent's defense? Because that's definitely a big big big con.

I've already taken a great liking for the new Pokémon. Now the leaked list of localised names is a bit worse. But I'll like that sonner or later too.
    Oh, I seriously hate the nerf of SelfDestruct/Explosion. Pokemon like Nattorei or Gigalith would've been happy if the Defense-lowering side effect of those moves stayed.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Oh, I seriously hate the nerf of SelfDestruct/Explosion. Pokemon like Nattorei or Gigalith would've been happy if the Defense-lowering side effect of those moves stayed.
    What Selfdestruct could lower the defense of the opponent before...wow that just shows how much I know about the move...
    I like it how they made Petal dance more powerful :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2016
    Game BLK/WHT what could be better

I think that the game should have it like Heartgold/Soulsilver, where the pokemon can follow you.That would be better

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Pros and cons seems to cover this, because it appears to be a con for you~

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
    I was a little confused when I heard they don't have Walking Pokemon. But then i remembered that the camera is much diferent now, so they would need 650+ images of the pokemon, multiplied by every angle and motion. Hopefully we will gett walking pokemon latter.

There is no exuse for lack of Remaches. If you can do it once, just do it again.

Out of 650 pokemon, how am I suposed to find the 2 I actualy care about? (in Dream World)

Last edited:

Blue Trainer

Do iT FuR TeH LulZ
    Years
    Personally I think the new Pokés are terrible artistically.

They are supposed to be wild creatures - so like others before me - I'm baffled on how natural evolution decided that a Garbage bag or Light Bulb or other man made shapes - were suitable for survival.

With Pokémon - the first 256 was fine. After that it just starts to get a bit desperate. I'm aware they are catering to a younger generation with the graphics - and that the metagame is still intact - but still - they could make the new characters appealing to kids as well as the older generation without resorting to lazy design ideas. Boo to you Gamefreak.

Blue Trainer

blue

gucci
    Years
    Con: No VS. Seeker, there is the Tabunne method nontheless, which pretty much makes up for it if not better way to gain exp, still would have enjoyed the VS. seeker though.

Rayce

Nooo0000OOB
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    This will be a long list of complaints, some petty some big problems.
    1. Monkeys. There are already a few and they weren't good in my opinion, they were mostly silly. What do they do? Add 6 more terrible ones...
    2.Stage 2 pokemon(basic->stage one->stage two).19 more that means 57 out of 156 pokemon are part of a 3 stage evolution chain. There is only 27 stand alone pokemon and 36 stage 1 pokemon! GEEZ!
    My math is wrong somewhere but that is close.
    3. The sprites are not professional looking... It is very strange, but look at the spriting forums on this site and you'll find better
    4.The ideas are weird. The ice cream one is absolutely terrible and you will never make be go against that
    5."Cute" pokemon. You are playing a game about animal fighting but they keep making pokemon that are meant to be cute and cuddly?
    6. The names. Throh, Timburr, Woobat and Swoobat? These took know real though, they are just giving fun names for little kids or something.
    I'll do some more later but I need sleep right now

Last edited by a moderator:

Rayce

Nooo0000OOB
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    7. look at klink, klang, and klinklang(again terrible names). The evolution involves only adding more to the sprite. I know if anyone made a sprite like that on this site they'd be criticized about it.
    8. Inadequate stage two pokemon. By stage two they should be pretty strong and very useful not only in stats but in appearance. Pokemon like Gothitelle, Reuniclus, and Vanilluxe(I cringe at the name) all look like they barely deserve basic statis.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    I dont like how most of the awesome pokemon that are on my team werent avilable untill after my 5th gym battle

JakeG

Pokemon Awakening-Coming Soon!
    Years
    I have played Pokemon from the very first games and gotten nearly every game since then and other then a few cons I loved every single one of them heaps, even when I got to a teenager I still had love for Pokemon and always looked forward to every new Generation, now with so much con features/removals and the way Pokemon have turned out, I have given up Pokemon for good. SoulSilver was my last game and I guess a nice way to finish it off, I'm not paying for this game I am finally off Pokemon for good. Farewell.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Recently found two Pros and one Cons; really hoping the Cons lessen:

Pro: EV recalculation after the completion of each battle! Amazing! I always dreaded training Pokemon to Level 100 in Generation 3 because a Pokemon's EVs are basically set by that point. You can tinker with the EV-reducing Berries and the Vitamins, but you can't make up the EVs gained through actual training. But now they introduce this nifty feature, so EV-training is made even easier! MAJOR PRO, IMO, and I commend whoever implemented it in the programming. :cer_boogie:

Pro: A minor detail, but I love how the "Fists" are redesigned for BW:
    Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

In Generation 3, I loved the "gritty" feel of the fists, paws, and "chops/thrusts". I disliked how in Generation 4 they were given a more "digitized", blocky feel. The transition from paws to human feet for the kick attacks was even worse. Ick. In Generation 5, however, I'm glad that the fists and "chops/thrusts" have regained their rounded forms that are similar to the Generation 3 depictions, with a nice matte look to them now. I still hate that the kick attacks are still rendered as human feet as opposed to animal paws. T_T

Con: According to this thread, the concept of having all combatants' Pokemon shown to each other before the battle begins. This way, you know exactly what 6 Pokemon you have to deal with. Without this feature, you would have to be ready for 649 Pokemon at any given time. I think they should have made this feature optional, to please those who like surprises and to please those who dislike excessive guesswork in Pokemon battles.

Ibis

flyin' with Lugia!
    Years
    After having so much fun with my SS and HG games (I particularly enjoy the Partner Pokemon following you around who you can talk to and interact with and I also really like the Pokewalker feature), I'm having a hard time accepting the changes in the Black and White games - namely, the loss of the Partner Pokemon and Pokewalker feature.

I'm sure I'll have fun with the new games - and maybe it's a little embarrassing to admit this - but out of the 540 hours I've already clocked into my SS game, a decent number of them were clocked by just running around with my Partner Pokemon and interacting with them. With that knowledge, I just know I will miss that feature in Black and White.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
    - N leaves forever after the final battle in his castle~ Why can't he stay~~?
    - No VS seeker~
    - Can't catch Pokemon from older generations unless National Pokedex is obtained~

Back