• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

Isasapiens

A pine tree...
Years
  • Actually, I don't dislike much of this game now. Of course some pokemon designs aren't that good, but you can't judge a book by its cover, and, most of the pokemon designs I liked.
    But I'll play to see if this game is as good as they talk (or as bad) and then I'll have a good opinion. Out of that, the game looks good.

Rankurusu

WHITE VERSION AT LAST!!
    Years
  • I dislike the fact that the new Pokedex includes no new eolutions for past pokemon. I was hoping for a Castform evo, and a Sableye evo, but I guess I'll wait until next gen.
    I also don't like all of the humaniod pokemon, that could get really annoying.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    I hate the fact that there isn't dark gym in the game, maybe because they are too evil to have a gym I hope there will be dark elite four

^--- this.

The list:

1. The starters, ANOTHER Fighting and the rest being single typed
    2. The choice of Legendaries, The look awful!
    3. The fact that there are no Pokemon that evolve from a Pokemon, which is from another region and vice verser.

^--- this minus: reshiram, zekrom, kyuremu the dragon trio.

I hate about 90% of the Pokemon in it, most of them look like they where designed by a 5 year old, there are a few good ones, but not enough for me to be happy to sit through a game with them in, I was hoping they would have gone back to the more simple designs of the 1st and 2nd generations, those Pokemon look like they could actually be real creatures, now they are trying too hard to have the Pokemon look "cool"...needless to say it didn't work.

hey! my 3year old daughter draws better than that >.>"

The lack of a Dark-Type Gym or a Poison-Type Gym is a little disappointing. Also, the Starters remain mono Typed for all of their evolutions... Except for Pokabu's final Evo, and OF COURSE that had to be a Fighting-Type. Other than that, I really like this Generation.

^--- i agree with this too, the poison types wouldve easily made a great gym in this region, & a dark-type E4 seriously? couldnt we have a gym instead -_-"

Bluemoon

Bluemoon
    Years
  • I just check out serebii.net and checked out all th pokemon....
    and I dont know what to say....
    There is something when I was scanning the pokemons, there was no vibe, the way iut usually gives me. Stuff I dont like pokemon that that are out from being a pokemon like The ice cream family I hate the second one it looks like something from a 3 year old game and pokemon that evolved that that the only thing that changed were its size and color like the alligator family....
    I dont like second and third evolution of Gear... they look like gear that they just added stuff on them to make them look different.. and lastly majority of the pokemon lost its cuteness.. cuteness is suppose to attract most players...
    But the rest I like them... but rating them from 1-10 ill give it 6...

Years
  • The only thing I can say that I don't like about B/W is the extreme difference between most Pokemon's base forms and fully evolved forms. I think GF overdid it with this generation... =/ For example, families like: Tsutaja's, Pokabu's, Mijumaru's, Meguroko's, Desumaku's, Kaburuchi's, Kibago's, Monozu's (its final evolution seems out of place). I even tried fixing up Sazando, so it could look more like its predecessors:
    Spoiler:

And then there's Pokemon who's evolutions look like a simply larger version of themselves. Chillarmy's, Gigear to Gigigear (one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen), Kurumiru's, and Meguroko to Warubiru (it should've had a slightly different coloration so its final evolution wouldn't look so out of place).

But that's really all I dislike... Even though I have heard that there is no night and day (which is pretty weird), but I'd trade 24 hour changes for seasons any day. :B

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • The only thing I can say that I don't like about B/W is the extreme difference between most Pokemon's base forms and fully evolved forms. I think GF overdid it with this generation... =/ For example, families like: Tsutaja's, Pokabu's, Mijumaru's, Meguroko's, Desumaku's, Kaburuchi's, Kibago's, Monozu's (its final evolution seems out of place). I even tried fixing up Sazando, so it could look more like its predecessors:
    Spoiler:

And then there's Pokemon who's evolutions look like a simply larger version of themselves. Chillarmy's, Gigear to Gigigear (one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen), Kurumiru's, and Meguroko to Warubiru (it should've had a slightly different coloration so its final evolution wouldn't look so out of place).

But that's really all I dislike... Even though I have heard that there is no night and day (which is pretty weird), but I'd trade 24 hour changes for seasons any day. :B
    I don't think that they did take the 24 hour thing as they showed a screen shot with a sun set.

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
  • There is honestly nothing I dislike about the game besides a few pokemon with some radical designs. Just a few, I have more likes than dislikes when it comes to the actual pokemon that are supposed to inhabit this region. What were they thinking with some of those? But you cannot please everyone. Most people seem to like the monkey trio, while I really do not like the designs. I don't even like the water one and I'm a water trainer.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • So far:

1. Unfortunately, DAI. KEN. KI. Seriously. :cer_cry: :cer_no:

2. The fact that Victini, of all things, ruined the National Dex FOREVER!!! Leave it at the end of the PokeDex to preserve tradition for the "cute"/Mew-esque legendaries!

3. The lack of a Light-type... :cer_cry: :pink_cry:

4. Repetition of the Fire/Fighting combination for the Fire starter. AGAIN. FOR THE THIRD GENERATION IN A ROW. :cer_confused: :cer_no:

5. The apparent lack of a Dark-type Gym (we have a female Professor; so why couldn't this come to fruition for innovation? Being restricted in the Elite 4 all of the time won't help things much...)

6. The apparent overobsession with hexagonal shapes in the graphics. Plain old squares and rectangles are fine for me.

Does anyone know if the Follow-Me feature returned from HG/SS?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Out of all the things the one thing that aggravates me is the missing 10 boxes in the PC

They seriously took out 10 boxes in the PC?
    There's like... 156 more Pokemon to catch along with all the others. O_O
    How do they expect us to fill the National Dex if we can't even fit all of the Pokemon in our PC? XDD

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    Besides the fact that you're overreacting and nostalgiaing to the max, I can't help but admit I chuckled a little at your claim that people aren't going to buy it. The huge number of preorders so far disagrees with you, and I'm willing to bet you'll buy the game anyway.

Also, about the word literally- you keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means. Unless you're talking about Yabukuron and Dasutodasu, who are pretty cool guys in my book.

I never claimed that no one was buying... If you read the post I believe I said alot of people will not buy this game... Literally was a joke to the fact that we have piles of trash as Pokemon now yes, but also a reference to the fact that the sprites look like they were made by the Quartz guy...

The Red Chain

They seriously took out 10 boxes in the PC?
    There's like... 156 more Pokemon to catch along with all the others. O_O
    How do they expect us to fill the National Dex if we can't even fit all of the Pokemon in our PC? XDD
    There goes my plan of filling the National Dex in White version. D;
    Or at least hunting the crap out of all the new shiny Pokemon... ;__;

• Not enough boxes to fill the Dex.
    • 13 flippin' legendaries.
    • 50% of the Isshu dex Pokemon designs being rofl-worthy.
    .. That's about all I have right now. I'll prolly come back and add more later.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Out of all the things the one thing that aggravates me is the missing 10 boxes in the PC

10 boxes removed...that means Game Freak just axed 300 Pokemon spaces/slots. No way. And some of us actually use those extra boxes for breeding, Pokemon capture, testing, and miscellaneous purposes. :cer_disbelief: :cer_pissed:

Is Game Freak trying to make us hate Generation V, the supposed rebirth of Pokemon? They were doing so well before with the BW previews/news, and now a firestorm of backlash is whipping up... :( :cer_cry: Add this (lack of PC boxes) to the things I dislike about BW so far, making it #7.

If I had been asked about this thread's question before Pokabu's second evo was officially revealed, I would have said nothing at all. I wonder how big this thread is going to get come "release" day tomorrow...

EDIT: Eighth thing disliked - the fact that some jerks decided to leak the starter evolution sprites so early... The preorders I'm iffy about considering them as actual leaks, but that's not the fault of the people preordering...

EDIT 2: Someone mentioned that extra PC boxes may come with the National Dex upgrade, so that might alleviate my frustration regarding the removal of PC boxes.

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Honestly disappointed with the some of designs. Yeah some of the concepts are really cool, but some of them are just "good lord what the heck is this ?!" Some of them really dont even look like Pokemon, a child could draw better, i wish i was joking. =/

EDIT :

LOL @ Epic fail of not enough boxes. "Well gee how am i supposed to, you know complete the national dex?" -___-

Back