• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

Years
  • I like the fact we have a thread dedicated to this. o_0

Yes Calder, we know you don't like the designs, but there are plenty of people who do. And every generation, tons of people whine, gripe and complain about minor aesthetic details. There is more to the games than just the Pokemon appearances. This time next year, this thread will be irrelevant and everybody will be nicely settled into Gen V.

@ Elf I heard around on Serebii that there is a PC upgrade that comes with the national Dex.

Naruto456910

Sareo Yukimura, The Original..
    Years
  • I was severly dissapointed by Pokabu's evolutions.. :( I wanted to destroy the grass snakes since all my friends were taking it but now I can't. <_< So Im taking Mijumaru.

Not only that, it seems to take a lot of leveling up and stones to make these new Pokemon evolve.. the most common numbers I've seen for 2nd and 3rd evolutions were 30-50 and even one at 64.

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
    Years
  • ~Odd-numbered speed/attack stats

~Sun Stone evolutions have always been lame Pokemon in my opinion. This time is no exception.

~O: :U has Sandstorm teamz? I am so not surprised.

~Pokemon droppings are confirmed to be from the nose (ice bear)

~Seasons last ONE MONTH. EACH.

~event Pokemon again...

~Lotto 649

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • ~Odd-numbered speed/attack stats

~Sun Stone evolutions have always been lame Pokemon in my opinion. This time is no exception.

~O: :U has Sandstorm teamz? I am so not surprised.

~Pokemon droppings are confirmed to be from the nose (ice bear)

[S-HIGHLIGHT]~Seasons last ONE MONTH. EACH.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

~event Pokemon again...

~Lotto 649

Make that Disliked Feature NUMBER NINE. :cer_pissed: And let me guess - certain Pokemon are only available during certain seasons, right...?

Seasons lasting 2-3 weeks would have sufficed, IMO. A month will just drag them out unnecessarily...

Last edited:

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • Ah crap. The new Pokemon sprites look like Fakemons, and the Legendary Flying trio are EXACTLY THE SAME, just different colour. D:

EDIT: Gear is this generation's Magneton!
    No link to previous generation. Luvdisc DOESN'T evolve into Manmabou. Great, more UU Pokemon.
    Dragon Pokemon are easy to get! Or, so I pressume. You can find a dragon pokemon early in the Pokedex.

Last edited:

Naruto456910

Sareo Yukimura, The Original..
    Years
  • Well I figures it makes sense that seasons are one month. They are trying to make it seem logical, and some people do take a while to beat Pokemon games.. Not only that you can always change DS time.

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
    Years
  • Well I figures it makes sense that seasons are one month. They are trying to make it seem logical, and some people do take a while to beat Pokemon games.. Not only that you can always change DS time.

And not every player will play every day. Who knows. The game could be boring. Or maybe a spoiler that "the possible" Hoenn reinvention could soon follow even the Japanese release of BW.

§acred†Beo!

F.A.T.E.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    Well I actually don't have very much to hate at this point in time, i've looked over the new pokedex several times and I can't find much to hate rather then a few over complicated designs. I think people need to calm down and stop hatting on the new pokemon, it happens every generation. There are always going to be pokemon that are simply fantastic, and well garbage its just how it goes. The storyline and new features itself are enough to make me buy the game. This is coming from a guy whose been playing pokemon since blue version first came out when I was eight.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Ah crap. The new Pokemon sprites look like Fakemons, and [S-HIGHLIGHT]the Legendary Flying trio are EXACTLY THE SAME, just different colour.[/S-HIGHLIGHT] D:

Disliked Feature NUMBER TEN. That is quite possibly the laziest spriting ever, and this is for an actual, official GAME. Even all the unofficial Fakemon trios I have come across at least know to take the time to differentiate the Pokemon designs. Just recolors? At least make them different in design. Even Lati@s, Plusle, Minun, Volbeat, and Illumise had slight design variants to lessen the annoyance. And this recolor thing is made more funny irritating when you consider that Deoxys and Rotom have multiple designs via Formes, yet they're still the same Pokemon.

I really didn't think it would get this far; I thought Daikenki would be my only problem... I genuinely wanted to love these games.

Well I figures it makes sense that seasons are one month. They are trying to make it seem logical, and some people do take a while to beat Pokemon games.. Not only that you can always change DS time.

As for 'beating the main game' taking a month's duration, that I can understand for beginners. But if you have to replay the game multiple times for specific reasons (i.e., before my knowledge of HGSS, I replayed FireRed multiple times just to catch the Legendary Dogs. Very tedious when you also have to complete the One Island Machine sidequest), then the month-duration-for-seasons features may be annoying, especially if it puts certain restrictions on Pokemon availability.

I'm unfamiliar with the DS time exploits since I don't actually have one yet, though I have heard it mentioned regarding Pal Park's time limitation in DPPt.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'm severely disappointed. I had high expectations for this generation and they all slowly went down the drain with every piece of leaked information that came through. The Pokémon are the main let down I have. There are about... I don't know, five(?) or so that I actually like. The rest of them just look like Digimon, to me, and that just... that's upsetting. I don't think I'd be buying this game. I'll stick with the first four generation. This generation makes generation 4 a lot more tolerable to me, considering I haven't liked Gen IV until recently.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Right now, my main disappointment is with the copy/pasting of the Legendary trio's designs. A lot of the revealed forms actually made me like the Pokemon of this generation, but that's just... I don't know. I know that they're related to one another, but they really shouldn't look too much alike.

That, and the ten less boxes (to start off with?) I like breeding Pokemon for natures and maybe for shiny quality. But to not have ten boxes until the National Dex is achieved? Meh.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Surprisingly, I'm actually okay with the Fighting trio being quadrupeds (I haven't seen them, but I've heard that they are on all fours). Though Fighting implies a humanoid form, you don't have to be bipedal to be a good fighter.

Take, for instance, Ivysaur/Fushigisou (love how the announcer says the latter: FuSHIGGYso!) of Super Smash Brothers Brawl. The series' first four-footed fighter, it can still hold its own during some matches:

Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

And alternately, since we currently don't have a "Light-type" :(, I see the Fighting-type as using just, honorable methods of waging battle against others, as opposed to the Dark-type that uses dishonorable, underhanded methods to fight. In that case, it doesn't matter whether you're humanshape, quadrupedal, or whatever - what matters is whether you fight with honor (Fighting-type) or dishonor (Dark-type).
    I'm guessing these quadruped Legendaries are of the former distinction. :)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Surprisingly, I'm actually okay with the Fighting trio being quadrupeds (I haven't seen them, but I've heard that they are on all fours). Though Fighting implies a humanoid form, you don't have to be bipedal to be a good fighter.

Take, for instance, Ivysaur/Fushigisou (love how the announcer says the latter: FuSHIGGYso!) of Super Smash Brothers Brawl. The series' first four-footed fighter, it can still hold its own during some matches:

And alternately, since we currently don't have a "Light-type" :(, I see the Fighting-type as using just, honorable methods of waging battle against others, as opposed to the Dark-type that uses dishonorable, underhanded methods to fight. In that case, it doesn't matter whether you're humanshape, quadrupedal, or whatever - what matters is whether you fight with honor (Fighting-type) or dishonor (Dark-type).
    I'm guessing these quadruped Legendaries are of the former distinction. :)
    Yeah and it makes even more sense when you think that they are Based on the Three musketeers :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    I dislike nothing about Black and WHite they are what I expected which are good fun games with unique pokemon. I like all the pokemon games and like all the designs..im guess im a open person to new things :P

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2012
    You guys are not alone. I would say 70% of the Pokemon this generation look like badly-drawn Fakemon. :S

The ones I particularly like:
    Victini - really cute, and I like how GF is returning to Psychic/XXX typing for the "Mew" of Gen V
    Tsutarja family - smug, one of my favourite grass starter families
    Munna - the design is actually quite intriguing
    Shikijika - the deer is so Bambi and Disney-like with its own unique Pokemon twist
    Wargle - it's so cool

Now on to the particularly bad ones....
    Gamageorge - the frog of Gen V.... looks like black blobs/pustules are exploding out of its skin....
    Nageki - why are Pokemon wearing man-made black belt coats, and evolving along with its clothing....
    Futsude.... looks like badly drawn but also disgusting bugs you want to run away from....
    Monmon... I don't even know what it is....
    Darumakka.... looks like a blob with oddly placed mouth....
    Marakacchi.... another plant-like thing that leaves me speechless (in a oh-no kind of way)...
    Zuruzukin.... Fakemon.... badly drawn Fakemon.... this is a nightmare...
    Dasutodasu... the garbage bag Pokemon.... at least Muk was cute and simple.... this is just... well... garbage....
    Baibania... the Ice-cream Pokemon family.... does not look cute, looks over-designed... sigh.... Don't know what purpose it serves...
    Tesshildo.... Finally a Grass/Steel type but I'm faced with a metal ball and three tentacles with mouths looking like they're ready to eat me....
    Chobomaki.... dot dot dot.... Fakemon... Fakemon....
    Kojofu.... some Fighting Pokemon that just looks like a badly drawn doodle someone made during a boring meeting...
    Argh... there are so many more badly designed Pokemon but I'm going to stop here.... Such a HUGE disappointment.

The Pokemon they showed in the previews are actually all of the ones I like.... It seems like they hid the rest for a good reason; not to pleasantly surprise the player upon playing the game, but to prevent people from getting scared off buying the game.

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2023
    I've only been paying attention to the Pokemon. Until today, I was disappointed. But there are plenty of cool ones to use in my team.

That said, I'm REALLY disappointed in Pokabu's evolutionary line. Forget the Fire/Fighting, I just find it completely ugly. I was hoping it would become an awesome fiery boar. I'd also have liked to see some more unique types. Like a Ghost/Steel that is a possessed suit of armor.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

• Yeah and it makes even more sense when you think that they are Based on the Three musketeers :)
    Really? Interesting...

And I just remembered another disliked feature, which makes it up to 11 of them for me. The fact that you need 2 systems to transfer DPPt/HGSS Pokemon to Generation V via Transfer Machine. I understand the hardware limitations, but I thought it was going to involve some kind of hot-swapping instead...

Or even better, have the PokeWalker be able to transfer Pokemon to BW, so you don't need 2 systems... (though that it would be tedious). The 2-system thing means that you have to shell out the cash for another Nintendo DS, or that you're going to become heavily reliant on friends with Nintendo DSes.

In any case, I guess I should be glad+grateful that some form of backwards compatibility with Generation IV is preserved, because I would not like to go through the Gen-2/Gen-3 incompatibility issue (I started in Gen-3, so thankfully I averted the fiasco).

Last edited:
    Back