• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

rockets>u

The Champion of on-and-off
Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2011
    I find it funny how people said the Fighting trio looked too different from each other but not they are saying the Flying trio is too similar :P

Maybe that is because the flying trio looks exactly the same?
    I think it would have been fine if they were alternative forms, but they are not.

To be honest, I only like 12 of the new Pokemon which is extremely disappointing.
    I really like the version mascots, but then you take a look at the flying trio and think.....wtf?

Edit. Also I really dislike how every third fully evolved Pokemon has a stat over 130, especially that bug with 130+ attack and 100+ in both defences.

Ninjask uses SD, sub, sub, pass to superbug, good game

Last edited:

Chocos0

Eclipse the Umbreon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2012
    I'm not hating, but I'm just disappointed in the looks of the 156 new pokemon.
    It's just their looks that make me discouraged, but I love the games, so don't knock it before you try it! =P

Years
  • NO NO NO! When the 1st few pokemon come out they looked decent to okay but now the huge wave of pokemon that came out. I mean look at all the legandaries only 3 look good and its the 1st 3 that came out! I love that theres more fighting tyrpes but They're ALL ugly, right now theres only 4 pokemon I'd put on my team.

I'm really mad they messed up
    1. Mijumaru's last evo when 1st stage looked AMAZING, I LOVE Futachimaru!
    2. Only Yannapu's evo looks good out of the 3 monkeys.
    3. Meguroko last evo ruined the stage b4 him
    4. Why does Rankurusu (My fav B?W pokemon) pre-evos look like pathetic digimon.

I have ALOT more complaints but its getting late.

P.S Yooterii is cute but none of his evos are worth it.

So far:

1. Unfortunately, DAI. KEN. KI. Seriously. :cer_cry: :cer_no:

4. Repetition of the Fire/Fighting combination for the Fire starter. AGAIN. FOR THE THIRD GENERATION IN A ROW. :cer_confused: :cer_no:

4. The apparent lack of a Dark-type Gym (we have a female Professor; so why couldn't this come to fruition for innovation? Being restricted in the Elite 4 all of the time won't help things much...)

5. The apparent overobsession with hexagonal shapes in the graphics. Plain old squares and rectangles are fine for me.

I really really feel your pain, especially about #1. Why does my poor Futachimaru have to..... smh I can't even begin to phrase it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    i really dislike gigigia
    and the flying trio
    i mean COPY PASTE MUCH
    and, as a dragon trainer, the dragon pokemon are really cool lookin
    especially the dark/dragon wateva
    but mostly, i find this gen to be really nice unfortunately
    maybe when the english comes out, THEN i'll tell you all my hate comments

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I dislike the badges, that there are no pre evos and evos, that there are 2 different 8th gym leaders, that there are so many fighting types, and that there are 2 trios for the legends. Yeah a lot of things I dont like. Oh and that Belle is the champion. Cynthia so badly puts Belle to shame.

Oh but just so you guys know, I do like the pokemon more than ever!

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2012
    -The starters' typings. Fire/Fighting is starting to get tiresome and the others could've been both Grass/Dragon and Water/Fighting(if Miju's final evo. was biped instead) respectively. Too bad I actually liked the pigs as they're very reminiscent of Ganon from the classic Zelda games.

-Inappropriately-typed pokemon. The zebra and the goth lines look so different from others of the very same type, yet are single-type and neither of them are part-Dark even though they've the physical characteristics required to be that type. Zuruggu/Zuruzukin should be Dragon instead of Dark, Rankurusu and its prevos. appear to be part-Poison, Desukan is too solid to be pure Ghost, Chillarmy/Chirachiino could've been another pure Ice-type instead, what's so 'rocky' about the archeopteryx pokemon, and I don't see any warriorish characteristics in either of the quadrupedal musketeer legendaries.

-The concepts or designs of some pokemon are either mediocre or plain terrible, esp. the legendaries. I want a better Dark/Fighting-type and Zuruggu/Zuruzukin look like very poor excuses for such a typing combo. The Power Ranger-esque pokemon and judo fighters don't look any better either and the vultures just look uninspired. I'm just not into the disgusting idea of a garbage pokemon. The genies look very ugly too and Meloia looks very awkward as well. Of course, that's just the sprites I saw at Serebii and hopefully the designs improve as the animated art for these pokemon will eventually surface.

-The ability "Sturdy" now became like Focus Sash. Now, I need Desukan on my team to counter any opponent pokemon who has
    Sturdy" with its "Mummy" ability, so I don't have to waste another move to take out that opponent pokemon.

-Shibirudon, a pure Electric, has the ability "Levitate". Unless the player has a move or ability that makes such a pokemon vulnerable, esp. if it's in his/her opponent's team, a pokemon with no weaknesses what so ever is just plain broken. Neither Sableye nor Spiritomb should've been dual Ghost/Dark for that very reason alone.

-The move "Evil Eye" is Ghost-type instead of Dark. Dark in Japan is known as "Evil/Aku" and I don't see what's so 'ghostly' about this move. I mean, isn't this why the move "Dark Pulse" is known as "Evil/Aku Pulse" in Japan?

-Triple Battles. This has the potential to be broken as it'd probably take more strategy to overcome the opponent in such a setting than it would in a double battle.

-No appearances of old pokemon or evos. of them what so ever. Grumpig and Dunsparce are good example of those who really need evos. and do they have to scrap all the oldies just to make this gen. "fresh"?

And alternately, since we currently don't have a "Light-type" :(, I see the Fighting-type as using just, honorable methods of waging battle against others, as opposed to the Dark-type that uses dishonorable, underhanded methods to fight. In that case, it doesn't matter whether you're humanshape, quadrupedal, or whatever - what matters is whether you fight with honor (Fighting-type) or dishonor (Dark-type).
    I'm guessing these quadruped Legendaries are of the former distinction. :)
    I don't necessarily see Fighting as strictly the "good guy" or "honest combatant" type and only a few pokemon of that type like Gallade and Lucario easily fit the description. Fighting-types are usually bipedal pokemon who appear to embody a certain martial art/fighting style and don't have a "monstrous" appearance like the quadrupedal musketeer legendaries do.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Okay, I'm slowly getting over the fact that the Pokémon sprites suck, but I dislike the fact that they stated that this game would have new characters. If I remember correctly, multiple sources stated that it'll be only new characters. If that's the case, which I would have much preferred, Cynthia being included in the game - as much as I like her - just ruins that and thus is something I dislike about the game.

zapdosa

GG
    Years
  • The Pokemon. I hate them. I counted how many I actually like. I liked 22/156.

I know I'm being awfully negative now. But I'm disappointed. ='( I feel like crying.

I do know I reacted similarly to Generation 4 and it took me a year to like to them. But Gen 4 wasn't nearly as bad as this....

I guess time will tell if I develop a taste for them or not. ='(

I completely agree with you. The creators messed up so bad.

Out of all of them I probably like about 10-20. Everything is just so messed up.

The Pseudo-Legendaries look like absolute trash. The Legendaries besides Zekrom all look like they took about 10 minutes each to create.

I'm so disappointed, I'm speechless right now.

Years
  • Okay, I'm slowly getting over the fact that the Pokémon sprites suck, but I dislike the fact that they stated that this game would have new characters. If I remember correctly, multiple sources stated that it'll be only new characters. If that's the case, which I would have much preferred, Cynthia being included in the game - as much as I like her - just ruins that and thus is something I dislike about the game.

Cynthia is in the game, and you battle her. She has a vastly improved team as well. :) Also, the Psychic E4 is the frontier brain Caitlin from HGSS.

EDIT: And detective Looker also makes an appearance:
    https://pokebeach.com/

Back on topic, the only thing i don't like is the fighting legendary Trio. :/ meh. They are goofy lookin'. But i love everything else.

The Red Chain

Cynthia is in the game, and you battle her. She has a vastly improved team as well. :) Also, the Psychic E4 is the frontier brain Caitlin from HGSS.
    ... Uh.. he said that he dislikes the fact that she's in the game. XD

Btw, I change my 50% to 65% of the Isshu dex being lolworthy.
    I adore these games, but the Pokemon designs.. are.. mostly hideous.

I want to be fair to Isshu and keep saying every generation has it's awesome Pokemon and it's stupid Pokemon, but I just can't let this slide. There are way more pitiful designs than there are good ones. It's a pleasant thing that the good designs actually make up for the crappy ones in some odd way. Though, I have taken a vow to faint every ugly Pokemon I run into in these games for the sake of my rage.. :x

Years
  • ... Uh.. he said that he dislikes the fact that she's in the game. XD

Btw, I change my 50% to 65% of the Isshu dex being lolworthy.
    I adore these games, but the Pokemon designs.. are.. mostly hideous.

I want to be fair to Isshu and keep saying every generation has it's awesome Pokemon and it's stupid Pokemon, but I just can't let this slide. There are way more pitiful designs than there are good ones. It's a pleasant thing that the good designs actually make up for the crappy ones in some odd way. Though, I have taken a vow to faint every ugly Pokemon I run into in these games for the sake of my rage.. :x

Oh giant fail. D: Whoopsy.

Ill catch the legend trio, but i wont use them or anything. Those are the only ones i can legitimately say i dislike completely. And maybe the dark/fighting type. you know the one im talking about. xD

EDIT: everybody can stop whining about the lower # of boxes, after you beat the E4 you get 24 of them. :D so 720 pokemon in total.

Last edited:

Pumpkin Fields

King of Carrot Flowers
    Years
  • I think this is the best Pokemon gen yet (a quick calculation revealed that I'm in love with 43% of this gen's Pokemon) but I do have a few complaints.

All the humanoid Pokemon. I know this isn't new to the series but I just can't stand it. That was one of the main reasons I always avoided Fighting types, their human appearance freaked me out. I am very happy with Kojofuu and Kojondo however. They definitely have a place on my team.

I don't usually like legendaries and I never have one on my team, but I just can't look past Torunerosu, Borutorosu and Randorosu. I really wouldn't mind them if they weren't such a perfect example of laziness. Hell, they're all in the exact same position. It makes it look like there was no effort put into them at all. That's a shame because I was actually pretty excited when I first heard about them.

Seasons lasting for one month is a little much. I have a feeling most people will complete their first run through long before a month has passed. I can easily look past that though and I see they did it for the sake of realism.

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
    Years
  • A long review:
    Spoiler:

EDIT: WTF?! I may teach Psychic,Flamethrower and Ice Beam to my every pokemon after i find it? The second leader has pokemon at levels 18 and 20? Thanks for the hardness level Nintendo.
    EDIT2: WTF? The champion is that dumb Belle?! That's even worse than Iris. Deleting my save file if i'll lose.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2012
    I forgot to mention that I think combination moves could also be broken if they aren't limited to support moves and damaging moves that are specifically tailored for them(combos) like the Oath moves. I do admit that there are already existing moves that sound like they could be dual-type such as the "Mud" moves but that's about it.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • Haters gonna hate.....

I prefer to put the Gen 5 Pokemon into one of four catergories (with examples of each catergory, in Pokedex order):

Pokemon that are clever and well designed:
    Jaroda, Dekenki (yes, I like this one), Miruhoggu, Doryuuzu, Zekrom

Pokemon that are decent, but still good:
    Yanappu, Zuruggu, Chillarmy, Denchura, Goruggo

Pokemon that blatantly rip off older Pokemon in terms of design:
    Zoroark (Lucario), Mebukijika (Stantler), Emonga (Pachirisu), Mamanbou (Luvdisc), Kibago (Larvitar)

And Pokemon that are utter crap:
    Otamaru, Yabakuron, Koaruhii, Baniricchi, Gear

I think that a good third of them are really cool, the rest however.....

So don't hate them just simply for their design, only hate them for what their stats are, or what moves they learn, not their design, as quality is not judged by physical appearance.....

rockets>u

The Champion of on-and-off
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2011
    Haters gonna hate.....

I prefer to put the Gen 5 Pokemon into one of four catergories (with examples of each catergory, in Pokedex order):

Pokemon that are clever and well designed:
    Jaroda, Dekenki (yes, I like this one), Miruhoggu, Doryuuzu, Zekrom

Pokemon that are decent, but still good:
    Yanappu, Zuruggu, Chillarmy, Denchura, Goruggo

Pokemon that blatantly rip off older Pokemon in terms of design:
    Zoroark (Lucario), Mebukijika (Stantler), Emonga (Pachirisu), Mamanbou (Luvdisc), Kibago (Larvitar)

And Pokemon that are utter crap:
    Otamaru, Yabakuron, Koaruhii, Baniricchi, Gear

I think that a good third of them are really cool, the rest however.....

So don't hate them just simply for their design, only hate them for what their stats are, or what moves they learn, not their design, as quality is not judged by physical appearance.....

This is ridiculous, design is a MASSIVE part of Pokemon, just because you don't feel it is important doesn't mean others don't find it important.

Pumpkin Fields

King of Carrot Flowers
    Years
  • So don't hate them just simply for their design, only hate them for what their stats are, or what moves they learn, not their design, as quality is not judged by physical appearance.....

It really depends on what you hope to get out of a team. I never calculate stats or even take them into consideration, I only fight with my favorites. That being said, design is very important to me.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • Design was the biggest part of pokemon. Design is the main center point of Pokemon. Without good likeable designs there is no pokemon, it would never have been a success.

Stats are only a tiny feature on how to judge a pokemon, for training purposes of course. The actually design is the major part on how pokemon are judged..

But other people have other views, like competitive trainer.s

Years
  • I dont liek that their arent evovles or pre evovle forms of pokemon from other regions.

I forgot to say that i dilsike that yo ucan store only 240 pokemon.

Last edited:
    Back