• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
Years
  • Not enough space in the PC. 720 spaces - 649 mons = 71 spare slots for my NU team, assuming I have UU variations of those mons as well. There will be more than 71 mons in NU.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • -Cool graphics
    -The Dream World (hello Speed Boost Blaziken)
    -The starters
    -The Elite 4
    -Pokemon with insanely high base stats

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • The graphics
    Cynthia coming back
    Caitlin being an E4 member
    99% of the pokemon
    Seasons
    The E4 typing
    The game title
    Finally a Man-O-War pokemon
    Pokemon Musicals!!
    The larger cities.

King Gumball

Years
  • If I buy B/W from the USA and use it on an Australian DSi will it work? Because the Japanese games do not work on American DSi only on American DS.

Butterfree-Charizard

Bug Type Master
    Years
  • Its not the game that I don't like (I love BW and the Gameplay). Its the most Pokemon that I don't like. Though there's only a certain Pokemon I like. But many I don't like. I mean look at these!
    isshu-pokemon-154.jpg
    isshu-pokemon-153.jpg
    isshu-pokemon-104.jpg
    isshu-pokemon-90.jpg
    isshu-pokemon-75.jpg
    isshu-pokemon-135.jpg
    isshu-pokemon-136.jpg

For god sake! I would prefer those guys on Deviant Art to make the Pokemon than those freaks! I have a bunch of talented watcher/friends there which they're more talented and smarter to make a Pokemon (Fakemon).
    I agree its like its not even pokemon anymore.

Alaskan Husky

lux aeterna
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2013
    - Gigigear
    - Chillarmy evo
    - There are about seven or eight new Pokemon on my "hate" list (GroundGhost2, Water tadpole, Gigigear, Chillarmy evo, Gigear, Nageki, Dageki). Up until now, there have been only two.

Heck, I can deal with everything else, to be honest.

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    well, i change my mind
    i haven't run into any problems other than language barrier and so far i can't complain :)
    seriously, once i started playing, i stopped being skeptical

King Gumball

Years
  • well, i change my mind
    i haven't run into any problems other than language barrier and so far i can't complain :)
    seriously, once i started playing, i stopped being skeptical

So do you know if the American game would work on an Australian bought DSi?

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • How about everything. I live in nostalgia land, ill admit it. Game Freak turned this up to 11 and now im feeling emotions I cannot express on this forum. Black & White have toppled GSC.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Merged "The Best of B/W" here since it seems reasonable enough to have this as one pros and cons discussion thread. Also, edited the first post to match the added topic. :)

Maxite

Ideas and Insanity
    Years
  • Pros:
    I haven't been this excited about Pokemon since Diamond and Pearl came out.
    If you're a Dark-type fan (of which I'm one of, behind Dragon), this generation will treat you kindly.
    Lots of new and unique type pairings. First pure-Dragon final evos. First pure Flying type.

Meh:

Some Pokemon designs are bad. I'm not one to say "This doesn't look like a Pokemon!", but three of the legendaries that look like genies riding on clouds look almost identical.

Cons:
    Only 156 Pokemon in the Isshu Dex? Short Dexes rarely do good things, especially when 10% of the Pokemon in the Isshu dex are either Event or Legendary Pokemon.
    I haven't played the game yet (will be soon, so opinion is subject to change) but the region seems awfully small. Maybe the maps that I've seen are just highly deceptive, and the region is actually quite vast.

That's my thoughts so far. I'm sure as more details come out, I'll have more praises and scorns for the series.

Years
  • How about everything. I live in nostalgia land, ill admit it. Game Freak turned this up to 11 and now im feeling emotions I cannot express on this forum. Black & White have toppled GSC.

I didnt think it possible either, but i agree. Game freak just laid down a royal flush with B&W. They brought the house down. B&W will be considered the best Pokemon games we have, just watch.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • Cons:
    -Gym Leaders and Elite Four are done horribly
    -PokeDex is too small
    -No Battle Frontier
    -No post-E4 location with old Pokemon
    -Isshu is too linear
    -Gym Leaders no longer have animations
    -Final starter evolutions are awful
    -No Gym Leader rematches

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    CONS
    -Gym Leaders and E4 Are way too weak-unless you can't heal between them
    -Tons of the Pokemons are derp
    -No prevos/evos of old pokemon
    -Plasma's story went from cool to derp
    -only 8 routes
    -rushed, didn't live up to the hype
    -pseudo-legend was wasted horribly and a lot of legends were too
    -laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame champion

PROS
    Unique Concepts
    New Take on Pokemon
    Lots of new features
    Good starters
    Cool Gym Designs
    good typing for pokemon
    two rivals

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Can anyone confirm if
    Spoiler:

Because if thats the case, I'm so adding that to my Pros list haha.

And what the hell? There's no Gym Leader animations? That's so very disappointing. It's something pretty basic now, for them to remove it is saddening. Hopefully they rectify this with the third game.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Cons:
    -Gym Leaders and Elite Four are done horribly
    -PokeDex is too small
    [S-HIGHLIGHT]-No Battle Frontier[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
    [S-HIGHLIGHT]-No post-E4 location with old Pokemon[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
    -Isshu is too linear
    [S-HIGHLIGHT]-Gym Leaders no longer have animations[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
    -Final starter evolutions are awful
    [S-HIGHLIGHT]-No Gym Leader rematches[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

OK, the lack of Gym Leader rematches is inexcusable. All that does is severely detract replay value.

Removing animations from Gym Leaders seems like a step backwards. You'd think both Pokemon and Pokemon League members could be animated... Old Pokemon could at least be added in a Safari Zone similar to Emerald's expansion...

The lack of a Battle Frontier I kind of expected, but it is still a let-down... Is there a Battle Tower at least?

DAIKENKI
    is still my primary "Con" until Sugimori artwork is revealed...hopefully that can rectify the situation...

I really hope "Pokemon Gray Version" will be worth the wait, considering all of these Cons mentioned so far. :\

When the designers mentioned they wanted to "break" some parts of past Pokemon games, I think they broke a bit too much. "A bit" may be an understatement, unfortunately...
    And is the Follow-Me feature from HGSS still in there?

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    OK, the lack of Gym Leader rematches is inexcusable. All that does is severely detract replay value.

Removing animations from Gym Leaders seems like a step backwards. You'd think both Pokemon and Pokemon League members could be animated... Old Pokemon could at least be added in a Safari Zone similar to Emerald's expansion...

The lack of a Battle Frontier I kind of expected, but it is still a let-down... Is there a Battle Tower at least?

I really hope "Pokemon Gray Version" will be worth the wait, considering all of these Cons mentioned so far...

Pretty sure there's no Follow-Me feature. Though, no Gym Leader rematches is odd... has this actually been confirmed? I'm very disappointed by the lack of animations for the leaders, but no rematches either? Yikes.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • Can anyone confirm if
    Spoiler:

Well, his theme is there, but there's no confirmation on whether he appears or not. Personally? I doubt it.

Is there a Battle Tower at least?

There is the Battle Subway, which is essentially, and for all intents and purposes, the same thing.

No, unfortunately. :/

Though, no Gym Leader rematches is odd... has this actually been confirmed?

The game was hacked, and while E4 rematch teams were found, Gym Leader rematch teams weren't. It was sort of expected they'd save that for the third version, though.

Back