• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
  • [S-HIGHLIGHT]Pretty sure there's no Follow-Me feature[/S-HIGHLIGHT]. Though, no Gym Leader rematches is odd... has this actually been confirmed? I'm very disappointed by the lack of animations for the leaders, but no rematches either? Yikes.

If the Follow-Me feature really isn't returning, that seems like a waste. One of HGSS's enjoyed hooks, and Game Freak just axes it like that? I'm surprised that Game Freak would let 986 overworld Pokemon sprites go to waste like that, though... Why are BW taking so many steps backward...? I don't even have the game yet, and already I'm feeling what some people felt during Gen III (i.e., disappointment in removal of GSC's overworld time feature)

The sad thing is that I heard the games took at least 4 years to develop due to the High Link feature.'s programming...I'm a bit perplexed as to why other little features were removed during that time span...

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Well, his theme is there, but there's no confirmation on whether he appears or not. Personally? I doubt it.

The game was hacked, and while E4 rematch teams were found, Gym Leader rematch teams weren't. It was sort of expected they'd save that for the third version, though.

It's odd they would have his theme but not him to battle though. I really would like to believe he makes an appearance.

As for the rematches, that's pretty sad. Though yeah, I suppose it should have been expected. At least we have the Battle Subway and E4 rematches. :D

Maxite

Ideas and Insanity
    Years
  • Eh? Lack of serious aftergame doesn't bother me terribly, as I usually get bored once I beat the Elite Four. Still, I would list that as a terrible con.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • It's odd they would have his theme but not him to battle though. I really would like to believe he makes an appearance.

As for the rematches, that's pretty sad. Though yeah, I suppose it should have been expected. [S-HIGHLIGHT]At least we have the Battle Subway and E4 rematches[/S-HIGHLIGHT]. :D

Those were the reasons I decided to get Emerald after losing 2 Sapphire carts previously... The Elite 4 gets monotonous after a while when you have a fully Level 100 team, and just one "Battle Tower" mode gets really frustrating when you can't beat it.

I assume no Pokeathlon is present, either... I would've liked to see it expanded upon in Generation V, in tandem with Pokemon Contests.

Years
  • Jeez... is B/W really that con....y? (failword) xB
    Looks like the games aren't living up to their hype... But I'm positive that they'll add some things like Gym rematches in the 3rd installment. They probably took steps backwards, to make the eventual 3rd installment seem better than B/W. Pretty dumb, tbh. =/

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Jeez... is B/W really that con....y? (failword) xB
    Looks like the games aren't living up to their hype... But I'm positive that they'll add some things like Gym rematches in the 3rd installment. They probably took steps backwards, to make the eventual 3rd installment seem better than B/W. Pretty dumb, tbh. =/

I guess that Game Freak is really trying to make patience a virtue this Gen...while the person completely new to Pokemon won't mind (and will actually be glad that "Gray" improves upon BW's "stunning" experience), everyone else who has already plays Pokemon feels completely screwed over. When "Gray" comes around, experienced players will say "this should've been in BW to begin with!" Such seems to be the case with post-Emerald third versions... Hopefully, Gray clears up a slew of these Cons being mentioned...

Even though I didn't play Pokemon during the earlier years, I think the transition from Generation I to Generation II was the only one where players didn't feel screwed over (then again, there was nothing that could be tampered with to evoke that much backlash aside from Pokemon design). From Generation III onward, the "Generation Transition" continues to feel like "two steps forward, one step back"...

...This feels like the oddest "rebirth" ever. It's almost as if you could say the only reason Game Freak said that was simply to limit Isshu's regional Dex. Though some things do feel revamped, such as TM usage and version differences.

GoldvsRed

Geodude is a pretty cool guy.
    Years
  • How about everything. I live in nostalgia land, ill admit it. Game Freak turned this up to 11 and now im feeling emotions I cannot express on this forum. Black & White have toppled GSC.

This, all the way. It manages to feel incredibly fresh and new, while also maintaining a prominent air of nostalgia. I, for one, think that these Pokemon designs actually seem closer to the style used in Generations I and II than Generations III and IV's designs did. They manage to make them feel original, but also very familiar.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Jeez... is B/W really that con....y? (failword) xB
    They've always done that with the games. Each third installment of each generation brought something new that the first two didn't have. It's how the companies make their money. They catch your attention with the first two installments, to show you the general new things that the generation brings. Then the third installment adds onto the first two to get players of the first two back in, and to get those who waited. While it would make sense for them to put all the features in the first two games instead of waiting for the third one, people are still buying the first two, even if some features are missing.

Right now, I really have no new complaints. Some of the Pokemon designs still have time to grow on me before I completely dismiss them. We'll see if my lack of complaints continues, though, as I learn more.

A pro, though, is the music. I'm loving the music, especially the classics from the older games.

Last edited:

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • If the Follow-Me feature really isn't returning, that seems like a waste. One of HGSS's enjoyed hooks, and Game Freak just axes it like that? I'm surprised that Game Freak would let 986 overworld Pokemon sprites go to waste like that, though... Why are BW taking so many steps backward...? I don't even have the game yet, and already I'm feeling what some people felt during Gen III (i.e., disappointment in removal of GSC's overworld time feature)

The sad thing is that I heard the games took at least 4 years to develop due to the High Link feature.'s programming...I'm a bit perplexed as to why other little features were removed during that time span...
    I think thats BECAUSE it took 4 years to develop the high link. Likely they'll work on the little stuff for Grey. Let's be honest, a decent WiFi system is what Gen IV was lacking and if we take a few steps back graphically, I'm ok. They got something IMPORTANT fixed. As for the follow me feature, they also had to program the new 156 pokemon and since none of the old ones are even in the game until post-game, they probably decided to temporarily scrap it. Or maybe even develop it further. They chose to experiment and it's mostly paid off. You can't expect perfection, that leads to disappointment.

Also... Since we have a pure Flying type... will Roost make it a ???-type? I sense new battle strategies <3~

Years
  • Cons:
    -Gym Leaders and Elite Four are done horribly
    -PokeDex is too small
    -No Battle Frontier
    [S-HIGHLIGHT]-No post-E4 location with old Pokemon[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
    -Isshu is too linear
    -Gym Leaders no longer have animations
    -Final starter evolutions are awful
    -No Gym Leader rematches

After you beat the Elite Four you can find Pidgey, Wurmple, Rhyhorn, Gastly, Starly, and Shinx in White Forest at Level 5.

The Red Chain

Alright, let's see if I can give a mildly good description. Gonna use just pros for now~

- I for one am deeply in love with all the vibrant colors and semi-3D aspects. It gives a popping feel to the games when you look at them, and the color schemes make them stand out brilliantly, even at night. The angle changes are amazing as well. Like, when you're talking to someone you get an RPG style talking scene at times [like with mom], even some where you are talking face to face and you see through your trainer's eyes [like with N]. When you cross Sky Arrow Bridge and when you view the Ferris Wheel from what seems to be your perspective, the angles change drastically. It gives a feel like you are really seeing through your characters eyes, and it lets you get a taste of what's going on much better than in the past games.

- The low HP music is amazing. I'm really glad they changed that annoying beeping to a catchy frantic tune. <3

- Dream World. Having all of the old Pokemon [almost] and some of the new, with helpful and grand abilities. The new abilities, like Drought Ninetales, are gonna be amazing.

- Every bit of the music that plays. It's all so melodic and beautiful. The battle tunes are extremely epic as well. Even Victini's battle theme has this hard beat playing throughout in the most epic of ways, despite being a tiny wittle legendary. Amazing stuff. <33

- All the old Pokemon being wiped off the plate until the very end. To me, this gave a great refreshing feel to the game itself. To know every patch of grass you run into will be a new Pokemon you've never seen before.

- Giving an immense power boost to a ton of the new Pokemon. There are like 140s and 145s in both attack ranges everywhere, and 3 stage evolutions. It's really amazing, and will surely mix up the metagame. This includes the new tricky abilities and the new moves. Alot of them really counter crap like Scizor in the metagame. I'd say they actually studied our current metagame and decided to screw us up.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Alright, let's see if I can give a mildly good description. Gonna use just pros for now~

- I for one am deeply in love with all the vibrant colors and semi-3D aspects. It gives a popping feel to the games when you look at them, and the color schemes make them stand out brilliantly, even at night. The angle changes are amazing as well. Like, when you're talking to someone you get an RPG style talking scene at times [like with mom], even some where you are talking face to face and you see through your trainer's eyes [like with N]. When you cross Sky Arrow Bridge and when you view the Ferris Wheel from what seems to be your perspective, the angles change drastically. It gives a feel like you are really seeing through your characters eyes, and it lets you get a taste of what's going on much better than in the past games.

- The low HP music is amazing. I'm really glad they changed that annoying beeping to a catchy frantic tune. <3

- Dream World. Having all of the old Pokemon [almost] and some of the new, with helpful and grand abilities. The new abilities, like Drought Ninetales, are gonna be amazing.

- Every bit of the music that plays. It's all so melodic and beautiful. The battle tunes are extremely epic as well. Even Victini's battle theme has this hard beat playing throughout in the most epic of ways, despite being a tiny wittle legendary. Amazing stuff. <33

- All the old Pokemon being wiped off the plate until the very end. To me, this gave a great refreshing feel to the game itself. To know every patch of grass you run into will be a new Pokemon you've never seen before.

- Giving an immense power boost to a ton of the new Pokemon. There are like 140s and 145s in both attack ranges everywhere, and 3 stage evolutions. It's really amazing, and will surely mix up the metagame. This includes the new tricky abilities and the new moves.
    [S-HIGHLIGHT]Alot of them really counter crap like Scizor in the metagame. I'd say they actually studied our current metagame and decided to screw us up.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]​

I would LOL if that really did happen. Maybe to get back at Smogon or something and laugh at them while doing it...? :cer_laugh: Anyway, I think it's possible that the developers reviewed part of the metagame and tried to make efforts to balance/improve it more for Pokemon's rebirth, Generation V. From what I can tell, a whole lot of Pokemon will be given an actual fighting chance this time :D...although previous powerhouses may even get demoted (I've been hearing Scizor's name a lot lately in regards to this... :() As for the metagame improvements, a "pro" so far... Reminds me of Karen's awesome "strong Pokemon, weak Pokemon" quote... Maybe Game Freak was trying to make the "win with your favorites" mentality a bit more of a reality...? :)

Argh...I really want to hear the low-health tune now, but I'm withholding myself from spoilers! It hardly annoyed me in past Gens, but the fact that it now has a "catchy tune" just made it a bit cooler.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • The games do have a few dissapointments, no offense they were great game and all, the storyline is a definite improvement over the previous generations storylines, this is what Diamond and Pearl should have been like, the game does have problems, which will hopefully be fixed in the third game, for example, one of the major problems of the game is the evolutions of every Pokemon listed after Chirachiino evolves after level 30, bolded are the ones I find most ridiculous:

Spoiler:

Jiheddo evolves to Sazando at level 64! It probably won't even evolve fully until well after the E4. And Washibon into Wargle at Level 54? Seriously, what were these people smoking when they made these evolutions. The highest level evolutions we had before this were Dragonair into Dragonite, and Pupitar into Tyranitar, both at Level 55, that is just ridiculous.....

Years
  • The games do have a few dissapointments, no offense they were great game and all, the storyline is a definite improvement over the previous generations storylines, this is what Diamond and Pearl should have been like, the game does have problems, which will hopefully be fixed in the third game, for example, one of the major problems of the game is the evolutions of every Pokemon listed after Chirachiino evolves after level 30, bolded are the ones I find most ridiculous:

Spoiler:

Jiheddo evolves to Sazando at level 64! It probably won't even evolve fully until well after the E4. And Washibon into Wargle at Level 54? Seriously, what were these people smoking when they made these evolutions. The highest level evolutions we had before this were Dragonair into Dragonite, and Pupitar into Tyranitar, both at Level 55, that is just ridiculous.....

The high level requirement kinda makes sense though, given how powerful these Pokemon are, and how long the game is. After the E4 you have to find the Sages, which will take awhile, plus there's a 600+ pokedex to fill up now.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I don't really have a problem with the high levels. Does this somehow affect EV training or something? I mean I don't really see a problem with it so that's why I'm wondering why people are complaining. :15:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm diggin' it. I avoided every spoiler possible though, so I've yet to find a pro and con like what y'all are saying. Only con I have, and it will later become a pro when I grind more, is the level difficulty. Hardest first gym I have ever been to. Seriously. :|

Kenta-kun

&#27515;&#31070;
    Years
  • I like the game so far.

Now, granted, I can't comment on the story much. It does seem like it's pretty story-heavy, and I try to work through translation while I can (I'm on exchange in Japan right now), but sometimes I just wanna play the game. Opening cinematic is cool though.

My only complaints? The removal of the complete touch-screen interface of HGSS is shocking, and it will be dearly missed. I liked not having to hold down B to run. It's a little odd that they removed the whole "Pokemon follow you" thing, but that was more aesthetic than anything else, so it doesn't bug me as much as the touch screen thing.

I'm pretty early on (just after the first gym), so we'll see as time goes on! loving it so far though.

Years
  • I'm diggin' it. I avoided every spoiler possible though, so I've yet to find a pro and con like what y'all are saying. Only con I have, and it will later become a pro when I grind more, is the level difficulty. Hardest first gym I have ever been to. Seriously. :|

I agree completely. Sure it'll be hard at the moment, but i'd prefer that the gyms are harder. Usually if your team is around the same level as the gym leader, you'll win.

I better get grinding then. :/ haha.

Maxite

Ideas and Insanity
    Years
  • I never really paid much attention to how I leveled up my Pokes until after I played Pokemon Pearl, when Byron kicked my ass. Then I've gone with the general formula of being Level 15 for the first Gym, 25 for the second gym, and five more for each gym afterwards. Yes, it's a lot of grinding, but it feels so good just sweeping the gyms. It gets really grindworthy when I get a new Pokemon later in the game (after fourth gym), and then I have to really train it to catch it up with the others.

So tough gym leaders should be a nice challenge.

Years
  • I never really paid much attention to how I leveled up my Pokes until after I played Pokemon Pearl, when Byron kicked my ass. Then I've gone with the general formula of being Level 15 for the first Gym, 25 for the second gym, and five more for each gym afterwards. Yes, it's a lot of grinding, but it feels so good just sweeping the gyms. It gets really grindworthy when I get a new Pokemon later in the game (after fourth gym), and then I have to really train it to catch it up with the others.

So tough gym leaders should be a nice challenge.

Exactly, they're gym leaders after all. They should be able to whip you unless your team is very high leveled.

For me i try to stay even with them, like i'll challenge the gym, and if I loose the first time, I go grind until im in the same general area level wise as the Gym Leader. Or I challenge the gym multiple times until i win, and get experience that way.

Another Pro for me is that Cynthia appears, and has a wicked team with her. :D (Wargle <3) The B&W version of Red, basically.

Back