• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

JP

wut?
Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I like the game so far.

Now, granted, I can't comment on the story much. It does seem like it's pretty story-heavy, and I try to work through translation while I can (I'm on exchange in Japan right now), but sometimes I just wanna play the game. Opening cinematic is cool though.

My only complaints? The removal of the complete touch-screen interface of HGSS is shocking, and it will be dearly missed. I liked not having to hold down B to run. It's a little odd that they removed the whole "Pokemon follow you" thing, but that was more aesthetic than anything else, so it doesn't bug me as much as the touch screen thing.

I'm pretty early on (just after the first gym), so we'll see as time goes on! loving it so far though.
    Are you serious? I can't believe they removed the touch-screen interface. What would possess them to do that? >_< That was very well received, but then again so was the Follow-Me feature.

The more I hear about these things that aren't integrated into the games, the more I'm believing that these games were in the works much before Heart Gold and Soul Silver were developed. Granted, the C-Gear (I think?) feature took apparently 4 years to develop, but that's a single feature. I would imagine that doesn't necessarily mean the games were in development for 4 years. It just doesn't make sense they'd remove something as useful as the Touch-screen feature, it's something so well praised and "expected to be there", it's shocking they'd take it out. I'm sure they'll add all these features to the third game though.

Kenta-kun

&#27515;&#31070;
    Years
  • Are you serious? I can't believe they removed the touch-screen interface. What would possess them to do that? >_< That was very well received, but then again so was the Follow-Me feature.

It's weird, because the menu itself is still on the touch screen...you just have to press X to bring it up. And you have to hold B to run again. And there's no initiating or scrolling through dialog using the touch screen.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    It's weird, because the menu itself is still on the touch screen...you just have to press X to bring it up. And you have to hold B to run again. And there's no initiating or scrolling through dialog using the touch screen.

That's very weird. Though, most of that stuff I still do just out of habit haha. I was getting use to not having to press B though, that's still disappointing.

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 20, 2013
    Having not finished the game yet, I can't completely dismiss the games, but simply in terms of Pokémon designs, I feel this is the worst generation so far. There are a few I really like, but most are quite ugly. The Flying, Electric/Flying and Ground/Flying trio are basically re-palettes, and don't even get me started on the Fighting-type trio. So much wtf.

Captain Riolu

Ace Detective
    Years
  • It's weird, because the menu itself is still on the touch screen...you just have to press X to bring it up. And you have to hold B to run again. And there's no initiating or scrolling through dialog using the touch screen.

This is my biggest complaint. Way to take a step back Gamefreak.

I love the music. Especially how it changes in certain conditions, like season, time of day, and Pokemon's health.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • It's weird, because the menu itself is still on the touch screen...you just have to press X to bring it up. And you have to hold B to run again. And there's no initiating or scrolling through dialog using the touch screen.

That sucks! I haven't even played HGSS, but I heard that you didn't have to hold B anymore, which was a great alteration for past titles... Why did Game Freak take another step back (same thing with the Follow-Me feature). I'm really hoping the features return in BW's "third version", becuase the removal of such cherished "pros" of HGSS is shocking...

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • The games do have a few dissapointments, no offense they were great game and all, the storyline is a definite improvement over the previous generations storylines, this is what Diamond and Pearl should have been like, the game does have problems, which will hopefully be fixed in the third game, for example, one of the major problems of the game is the evolutions of every Pokemon listed after Chirachiino evolves after level 30, bolded are the ones I find most ridiculous:

Spoiler:

Jiheddo evolves to Sazando at level 64! It probably won't even evolve fully until well after the E4. And Washibon into Wargle at Level 54? Seriously, what were these people smoking when they made these evolutions. The highest level evolutions we had before this were Dragonair into Dragonite, and Pupitar into Tyranitar, both at Level 55, that is just ridiculous.....

OMG why so HIGH!! this is ridiculous! Level 54 for that tiny baby chick to become a Wargle!!

543.png
    This evolves into its cocoon at level 22, compared to Caterpie evolving at like lv 8. Then
    544.png
    evolves at level 30 into
    545.png
    compared to Metapod evolving at like lv 10

same goes for these bug types
    540.png
    evolves at lv20
    541.png
    then level up with happiness into
    542.png

BUT the stats are WAYY higher than normal!! 490 total compared to Butterfree's 385 total. Does this mean that gen 5 pokemon will all be way stronger than their previous gen counterparts?

EDIT:
    432.png
    is more powerful than
    510.png
    so maybe only the pokemon that evolve in their 60's and late 50's are the extraordinarily powerful pokemon. like my pokemon diagrams? I love how this forum allows drag and drop with pics, you dont need to upload them in Image shak

Last edited:

Sage Harpuia

Hey, listen
    Years
  • It's odd they would have his theme but not him to battle though. I really would like to believe he makes an appearance.

The theme is here, but there is no trace of his sprite. So I guess it will be used for global link battle, when you face someone up in the ranks (if I remember correctly there was a no-friend-code-global-battle thing, right?).

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    The theme is here, but there is no trace of his sprite. So I guess it will be used for global link battle, when you face someone up in the ranks (if I remember correctly there was a no-friend-code-global-battle thing, right?).

Disappointing but not that surprising I suppose. At least we get Cynthia. <3

I Date Flaffy's

StreetFighter Till The End
    Years
  • The UnOffical 5th Gen Pokemon Hate thread

So the 5th gen has been out for a few days ow and we have had a good look at the new pokemon and as ive been going thought them i was getting dissopointed with some of the designs personally i think there are too many 2 stage familys and not enough 3 stage ones

So i want to know if there any pokemon you hate with a passion from the 5th gen.
    Dont get me wrong the games are amazing and ive been having so much fun playing them but some designs are just clear misses.

For example ill start with this one
    Spoiler:

they had such a good chance with the monkey trio but this one ruined it for me it looks like a pot head

okay i have a few more i would like to go over but ill let other people have a chance letthe hate commence :D

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Merged since you can discuss what you don't like and/or what you like here. Be sure to look around Black and White before creating a thread as there might already be a thread for an idea you have in mind. ;)

I think one of the cool things B/W did was remove the beeping sound when a pokémon reaches low HP. It got quite annoying sometimes and made me miss out the track music so I could turn off the sound. :\

Years
  • I personally think it's awesome that pokemon evolve at such high levels. before, once you got to about lv 50-60, all your pokemon were evolved, knew pretty much all their moves, etc, plus all the gyms were already defeated and the map fully explored...... it made playing the game any further boring and kind of a waste of time.

now, though, pokemon evolve and learn moves at higher levels so it makes you want to play the game more through

[this is talking as the average player who just plays through the game, not hard-core playing. not talking about me because I raise all of my pokemon that I catch (all of the pokedex) and play much more than the average one time-play through player, but talking as someone who knows what they're talking about because he used to be that average player :D]

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Not far into the game (Only just defeated 2nd Gym Leader Aloe) and I can't fault the game really, having so much fun playing it, I love it, music, graphics, storyline = epic! :).

coolnick37

Absolute Power
    Years
  • I love it, music, graphics, storyline = epic! :).
    ^^ exactly, after i beat it ill do it once again on the english version then ill just freeze myself untill the 3rd game comes out, probably on 3ds, which means even better graphics and stuff :D
    Im just in hiuin city, and im amazed how pokemon changed since gold and silver (my first pokemon games :3)

blue

gucci
    Years
  • ^^ exactly, after i beat it ill do it once again on the english version then ill just freeze myself untill the 3rd game comes out, probably on 3ds, which means even better graphics and stuff :D
    Im just in hiuin city, and im amazed how pokemon changed since gold and silver (my first pokemon games :3)

Yeah, exactily what I plan to do, Complete Japanese Pokemon White then wait untill it comes out in English and buy Pokemon Black with the Different Version Exclusives then I'll buy the 3rd game (if there is one which there probally will be) and I know, they've changed so much since G/B/C and i'm currently in the forest full of Team Plasmas :).

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • I think that game is so unique, that it doesn't deserve to be called Gen. V. The new names could be like that:

Gen. I -> Gen. I-I
    Gen. II -> Gen. I-II
    Gen. III -> Gen. I-III
    Gen. IV -> Gen. I-IV
    Gen. V -> Gen. II-I

That's very clever, after all, it's almost an entirely new game.....

stargate1995

Mr. Flying Pickle Monster
    Years
  • TBH I love everything about this gen, except for 1 thing, the base stats, for someone who has just gotten into competitive battling and has some favorite pokemon(namely salamence and metagross) these pokemon from the last gens are all weak compared to the new pokes, e.g. Salamence with 135 attack, 80 def and spd agianst ononkusa with 147 attack 90 def, 70 spd, the only thing mence has going for him now is his HP :(.

And now thanks to sanderaa(80 base speed, it doesn't even look like it's fast >.>) and his huge sp attack he can now ko Metagross who is just slower then it. This means that I now have two staples on my team that I refuse to replace that are now useless because a ton of pokemon got stats that areway to high!

I mean look at the base stat totals of some of these pokes(the base attack of the new national bugs last stage is 108 >.<) there way to high for some of them...

So i want to know if there any pokemon you hate with a passion from the 5th gen.
    Yes sanderaa I wouldn't mind him if he hadn't taken a couple steriods before entering the games.

Years
  • how do black and white compare to the rest of the pokemon games?

alright, I haven't played it, but I'm looking for what the people who have played it think, to get me more excited for when I do play it :D (and the others who are waiting for the english version, too)

which is the best pokemon game out? does b/w top the rest? if not is it better than any of the games? is it second best? what beats it if it isn't the best?

most importantly: are b/w better than the johto region games (my favorite region so far, which many will agree with)?

what makes them so much better/worse?

Kronos

Shooting Star
    Years
  • I like much of the music, and the pokemon animations are cool.
    I miss the pokemon walking behind you feature, as well as some other features (especially the not bieng allowed to post screencaptures, NoA T.T )

Kenta-kun

&#27515;&#31070;
    Years
  • alright, I haven't played it, but I'm looking for what the people who have played it think, to get me more excited for when I do play it :D (and the others who are waiting for the english version, too)

which is the best pokemon game out? does b/w top the rest? if not is it better than any of the games? is it second best? what beats it if it isn't the best?

most importantly: are b/w better than the johto region games (my favorite region so far, which many will agree with)?

what makes them so much better/worse?

Now, do you mean 2nd gen, or the 4th gen Johto games? I happen to prefer 2nd gen, myself, and while I'll admit that a huge chunk of that is nostalgia, another huge chunk is them being incredible games. A close second is the 3rd gen remakes of 1st gen.

If we ignore remakes here for a sec, then 5th gen is probably my second-favorite gen, after 2nd. I love the entirely new batch of Pokemon. Haters gonna hate, and all that. Some look stupid, sure, but even the first 151 had some pretty stupid Pokemon. It's actually sorta hard to include remakes, because I like the remakes in each gen quite a bit more than the actual new games of those gens. I do feel like 5th is a step back from HGSS, particularly in terms of touch screen controls, but there's still a lot to like. The music is excellent, the new battle effects cool. Gameplay is, so far, the same as it's ever been.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on things like plot yet, seeing as how I can barely read Japanese. It seems, as always, even more of a driving factor in the game than the last ones. I have mixed feelings about this. I have always loved the first 2 gens because they didn't try to be much more than a child's journey. They had no delusions: the villains were Saturday morning cartoon villains, there was no attempt to be epic. Team Rocket wanted to steal Pokemon. Stealing is bad; therefore, they are bad. That works fine. It gives you an adversary without straining the player's suspension of disbelief. But when you have environmental terrorists and men with god delusions, trying to get the God Pokemon to become a god, it makes less and less sense that these guys would bend over and just stop because a ten year old's monsters beat their monsters in a battle fought one on one according to an arbitrary system of rules. The more serious the plots try to be, the more dissonant the games become with the core concept, and anyways I like my Pokemon uncomplicated. That said, the opening cutscene of B/W has me intrigued.

I'd say my only real disappointment in the game, touch screen controls aside, is the lack of changing up anything substantial. The HMs are all the same moves again (so far). The starters are all the same types (hell, Pokebuu's evolutions are, yet again, Fire-Fighting. For the third gen in a row). I don't want Pokemon to change up its core battle system much, but it seems the main focus of this one was...whatever the C-Gear does for online battles. And that just seems so incremental.

But yeah! Games are good. I will absolutely buy them (or one, anyways) again in English.

Back