• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Protagonist Dialogue

Years
    Would you prefer that the player character actually had words come out of his mouth? Many fans have wanted this for years, while others had preferred their character remain silent. If you would rather have he/she talk, however, what would you want them to say? Personally, I'd like them to talk, but just to say generic lines, somewhat like the protagonists of other monster-battling RPGs such as Digimon and Crystal Monsters do.

Years
    I'm going to go with "no". Nintendo does this with many of their franchises, just look at Mario and Link. Even the story mode in SSBB was completely silent.They do this so the player can imagine the character's dialogue themselves. Sure, it's a bit odd for a Role-Playing Game, but it works, and it's tradition. Red's a good example of this. Many people interpret him as some teenage badass, while others see him as just a kid that enjoys Pokemon.

Also, the main character does say some generic lines, like "Yes" and "No". Don't forget what happens when you fail to catch a Pokemon and the famous Copycat Girl conversation.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2011
    I would love if they talked but thats just me.
    It would make it a lil more realistic.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    I'm going to go with "no". Nintendo does this with many of their franchises, just look at Mario and Link. Even the story mode in SSBB was completely silent.They do this so the player can imagine the character's dialogue themselves. Sure, it's a bit odd for a Role-Playing Game, but it works, and it's tradition. Red's a good example of this. Many people interpret him as some teenage badass, but others see him as just a kid that enjoys Pokemon.

Also, the main character does say some generic lines, like "Yes" and "No". Don't forget what happens when you fail to catch a Pokemon and the famous Copycat Girl conversation.
    ^ This.

No way, I love silent protagonists. It makes you imagine the protagonist's attitude. I played way too many un-silent once and all it did was annoyed me with their personality.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
    Years
    The only RPG I've played without a silent protaganist was spectrobes. However, the characters were done really well, and had only enough to give them their personalities. Most of the game was silent beating up monsters.

However, with Red, I would leave him silent. It works for some games, but just not Pokemon.

Plus, it helps you imagine your own trainer, not some guy named Red and his story. For the entirety of Spectrobes I felt and knew I was playing as Rallen

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    I'm imagining speaking, that is speaking as the player in my head, in Platinum and it's fun. If the players spoke it won't be what some of us would say and we may not like it, so it's better to say nothing at all. We have to look like them for crying out loud, at least let the voices be ours xD

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
    I'm imagining speaking, that is speaking as the player in my head, in Platinum and it's fun. If the players spoke it won't be what some of us would say and we may not like it, so it's better to say nothing at all. We have to look like them for crying out loud, at least let the voices be ours xD

This is so true ^_^. 100% agree with you mate.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    I kinda liked what they did with N in Black and White. Actually have his face talk to you. Instead of in game text like you guys said, maybe they can do the same thing like what they did to N. I would accept that :D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    It would be neat if your character had something to say other than given options every once in a while as a form of more interaction between the characters.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I just can't picture the Pokemon protagonist talking. They're meant to be you. In other RPGs, like Tales of the Abyss, the main character is already characterized. It'd be weird to not see the characterization for Luke, especially with his big personality. Not going to touch up on other franchises though. But I think the games that don't have the main character talk are doing well as they are, and it'd be strange to switch so late in the game.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    No, I wouldn't like the games character's personality to be already set. If they did they would have to make a very good character based storyline like in Pokemon Identity. Who doesn't like it how someone became champion by just saying yes and no?

Years
    Sometimes they do talk. For example; when you fail to catch Pokemon, when you send Pokemon into battle and let's not forget when you speak to Copycat... Although it could just be her talking xD

I'd like it to stay like this. It gives you an impression of mysteriousness...
    (is that even a word?!?)

Back