• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PS2 games confirmed for PS4

Years
    Beat me to the thread creation. DAMN.

Anyway, I have nothing but hype for this. I await the "WHY CAN'T YOU USE YOUR OLD PS2 DISCS???!!!111" posts.

pkmin3033

If Square Enix aren't going to make FFXII HD like they should, then it had better be one of the first games to get this treatment. With a Platinum trophy as well, thank you. I'm bitterly disappointed by the half-arsed trophy lists the Star Wars games have had (especially Bounty Hunter; I loved playing that) and I don't want to see other games getting the same. If I wanted mediocre accomplishment lists, I'd buy an Xbox.

Apart from the essential FFXII...Drakengard, Rogue Galaxy, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (even though I loathed it), Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria, Shadow Hearts, Atelier Iris, Ar Tonelico, Disgaea...I could go on and on and ON. Hopefully something good will pop up!

Years
    This was unexpected, but I recall these newer Playstation systems weren't backwards compatible with PS2 games so to see them now available in this format means we'll be seeing some great classics from that era getting introduced to a new generation.

I know PS3 did it right with the HD remastered collections of Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper (I think the classic Kingdom Hearts as well also got an HD rerelease), so hopefully we'll be seeing more classics getting new HD graphics.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Well, that's one more reason for me to get a PS4 eventually. There are plenty of PS2 games I want to play but can't because I have a newer model PS3 so I'm excited.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    I'd love for it to be disc-based emulation, but the chances of that are pretty much 0. Why let you use the discs when they could sell the game digitally to you?

Either way, put the Xenosaga Trilogy, the Suikoden games, Dark Cloud 1+2, .hack games, and Shin Megami Tensei games, (plus a few others) and I'm all in.

2MooglesGaming

PokeMoogles
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2015
    Super excited about this news. The more the systems open up to older games the more we get to revisit old classics and introduce old games to new players.

Years
    If Square Enix aren't going to make FFXII HD like they should, then it had better be one of the first games to get this treatment. With a Platinum trophy as well, thank you.

We would never get this trophy. Ever. Beating Yiazmat would be a requirement and if it isn't the International Edition I'm not even going to bother trying lmao.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    This is pretty awesome. I have PS2 so it's not a huge thing for me, but a lot of people don't and there are some pretty cool games on it so it's a win for everyone if you ask me.

Years
    The fact we have these newer systems now re-releasing classic games (like how we have PS1 games getting re-released on Playstation Store) means that this is how I'm imagining the future of video gaming.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I actually have one of the early PS3 models that has the backwards compatibility with PS2 games, so this isn't like ridiculously exciting news for me, but at the same time too if the rumor for trophy support is true and with the games being digital I can finally replay some old PS2 games I used to rent that have since become really rare, SO I'm still pretty hyped nonetheless

pkmin3033

We would never get this trophy. Ever. Beating Yiazmat would be a requirement and if it isn't the International Edition I'm not even going to bother trying lmao.
    Who is this "we" you speak of? I managed to beat Yiazmat in FFXII without too much difficulty, it was just a bloody long series of battles. The difficulty was stripped right out of that battle by the fact that you could leave and pick up where you left off. Now, if you had to beat him in one attempt, that might be another story...

I wholeheartedly agree with you that it should be the International Edition, but I'd settle for even the standard at this point with minimal grumbling. It's about time Square Enix re-released the best FF game of the bunch, and the only one not available right now on a current generation platform...

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    I wasn't that excited about the actual idea of PS2 emulation, but trophy support got my attention.
    I will probably see how it's gonna work (and how long is Sony planning to support it) before giving my opinion.

Years
    Who is this "we" you speak of? I managed to beat Yiazmat in FFXII without too much difficulty, it was just a bloody long series of battles. The difficulty was stripped right out of that battle by the fact that you could leave and pick up where you left off. Now, if you had to beat him in one attempt, that might be another story...

I wholeheartedly agree with you that it should be the International Edition, but I'd settle for even the standard at this point with minimal grumbling. It's about time Square Enix re-released the best FF game of the bunch, and the only one not available right now on a current generation platform...

I'm not saying I didn't beat him either, but if you expect anyone to just jump in and not be stuck there for 25 years then lmao that's a nice L they can hold until they decide to Bubble/Decoy/Reverse their way to victory.

Also.....best FF of the bunch is pushing it. I liked XII but I can't agree with you on that one.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    The fact we have these newer systems now re-releasing classic games (like how we have PS1 games getting re-released on Playstation Store) means that this is how I'm imagining the future of video gaming.
    Huh? This has been a thing for years now. Unless you mean something else.

No idea what took Sony so long with the PS4, though.

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
    Years
    Update!!! https://www.gamespot.com/articles/these-eight-ps2-games-are-coming-to-ps4-tomorrow-w/1100-6432836/

These games are coming out on the PS4 marketplace today:

• Dark Cloud — $14.99
    • Grand Theft Auto III — $14.99
    • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City — $14.99
    • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas — $14.99
    • Rogue Galaxy — $14.99
    • The Mark of Kri — $14.99
    • Twisted Metal: Black — $9.99
    • War of the Monsters — $9.99

And coming some time in the future are PaRappa the Rapper 2 and The King of Fighters 2000.

All of the PS2 games will run at full 1080p, have trophy support, and be able to take advantage of the various other features of PS4 games, like remote play and broadcasting.

I'm super ecstatic! The PS2 was my first console way back in the day. There may only be one of these games that I played during my childhood, but I'm really happy that they're actually doing this! :) I am particularly excited about PaRappa, that was one of the earliest games I ever played, I just get so nostalgic when I play it... and it'll just feel unreal to be able to play it on the PS4. Even though it's not with a sequel, I'm happy that the series is still getting acknowledgments these days. That at least provides a little hope for the future! :)

As for other PS2 games I hope come out for the future, the only ones that come to my 7 AM tired head at the moment are Gran Turismo 3 and 4, Crash Wrath of Cortex and Twinsanity, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 and Underground, and various early-mid 2000's EA Sports games {XD}

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I was kinda hoping for King of Fighters 98 UM. Never looked into 2000 before.
    I only have 1 PS2 game downloaded on my PS3 so idk how much more different the emulation will be on a PS4.

On a side note: I'm getting annoyed at the comment section in those articles. Literally hundreds upon hundreds of people complaining about paying for emulated PS2 games on the PS4. Saying how could Sony make us pay for 12-13 year old games on a brand new console, just play on an emulator on PC. Ummm hello? Nintendo's been doing this **** for years with their Virtual Console, selling games that are 30 years old even like Super Mario Bros. on the Wii and Wii U and yet no one *****es about that? Man, gamers really aggravate me. They'll complain about everything.

Last edited:
    Years
    The US price is fine at $10 - $15. but I can see sony pricing that as £10-£15 for he UK as well which is lame.

tbh I probably wont ever use it, I never buy digital games new or old. and I actually bought a ps2 a while ago that i've never touched. But I guess its good for some people.

Back