• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PSA: The iPhone 7 isn't the first phone to exclude a headphone jack

Years
  • Apple will just force people to switch to Lightning adapters or just provide adapters of their own and charge an arm and a leg for it.
    Then the next problem comes to people who want to listen to music while charging their device.

I don't like the ideology at all of needing an adapter for a device when it simply could have been built in.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • And this is how I feel about phones without 3.5mm headphone jacks, especially the iPhone, which is tightly integrated with the Apple Store and should try to pretend it's not a joke of a device if you want to listen to your music (it is), let alone the fact that I like to use my own, corded device for calls:

Using a dock, let alone one with another Apple-exclusive adapter, to charge and listen to music at the same time is just terrible. A really easy example of a scenario where this probably won't work: an airplane. I also would never ever carry around a dock in my bag.

The Moto Z also didn't come packaged with an advertisement for expensive proprietary wireless earphones. If I'm spending that much on earphones again, mine are a) not earphones b) corded. This is superficially in line with Apple's philosophy, but a pretty extreme and alienating decision and one that makes the user even more dependent on Apple if something goes wrong mechanically with their phone.

I was genuinely considering getting an iPhone and sucking up the lack of expandable storage until we get real 2-day battery life widespread on Androids (my current phone, the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, is a trooper, though), but this is a dealbreaker like nothing else. I love my iPad Air and have been using it as my secondary device after my PC for years, but the iPhone has become a hot mess.

It's a shame; I really love some of the design decisions made by Apple. If I could get even refurbished iPhones for cheaper, my mom would have an iPhone, for example, because it's exactly what she needs.

The world is just not ready to jump to solely wireless headphones (or, lol, Lightning-adapter headphones!) until wireless headphones get better, more reliable, cheaper, and less of a hassle with regards to worrying about them incurring damage IMO. My experience with them has been largely awful.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Worth mentioning that the adapter costs only $9 and will be shipped with the new iPhones, meaning that everyone can use their 3.5mm devices right out of the box. Apple are, for once, making a transition at least somewhat easier.

Still though, it's a pain and I don't believe for a second that its removal was necessary. Pathetic too that you can't simultaneously charge and listen to your phone, although Apple demonstrated not so long ago with their one-port MacBook that they don't see the need to, you know, do multiple things with a device.

Wireless headphones aren't the answer either. Apple's new offering is outrageously priced (something around $160) with a tiny battery life - only 5 hours of continuous playback before they need charging - and from what I can gather despite this, they're still shaping up to be some of the better ones on the market. There has been very little attention paid to the actual sound quality or the fit of them too, which adds further insult to their price tag.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • Worth mentioning that the adapter costs only €9 and will be shipped with iPhones. Apple are, for once, making a transition at least somewhat easier.

Still though, it's a pain and I don't believe for a second that its removal was necessary. Pathetic too that you can't simultaneously charge and listen to your phone, although Apple demonstrated not so long ago with their one-port MacBook that they don't see the need to, you know, do multiple things with a device.

Wireless headphones aren't the answer either. Apple's new offering is outrageously priced (something around €160) with a tiny battery life - only 5 hours of continuous playback before they need charging - and from what I can gather despite this, they're still shaping up to be some of the better ones on the market. There has been very little attention paid to the actual sound quality or the fit of them too, which adds further insult to their price tag.
    Agreed with pretty much all of this except that the adapter really helps. I mean, it's better than no adapter and it's sad that we can actually commend Apple for this given their usual standards (imo it shows that they're perfectly aware it's not a 'courageous' choice), but as long as it'll be widely in use, it just makes the device clunkier than if it had the jack in the first place... ill-timed design choice for a company that has a very, very broad definition of 'unnecessary' and strongly places value on simplicity and ease over modularity.

Years
  • The headphone jack is important to me, so I'll just keep my 6S (as I planned to anyway).

What will happen in the next few days/weeks is a 3rd party will bring out a lightning adaptor that lets you charge and listen to music at the same time. Maybe there's already one out there...

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • But it WAS necessary... Probably anyway. I assume it helps waterproof it.

The main draw is for the more expensive Bluetooth headphones, which is somewhat reasonable. It would almost be like if they decided not to include a USB port or CD drive in their new Macbooks to make the user keep up with the times and transfer files digitally... OH WAIT, THEY DID THAT TOO.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • This is why I'm perfectly content with my Nano and iPhone 6. They can take that iPhone 7 and shove up their ass. Already, people are complaining. I don't blame them though. I mean, just about everyone I know as an iPhone right now. I know I'm not getting it because it's not worth losing the headphone jack. Do they really expect this new iPhone to sell very well?

Years
  • This is why I'm perfectly content with my Nano and iPhone 6. They can take that iPhone 7 and shove up their ass. Already, people are complaining. I don't blame them though. I mean, just about everyone I know as an iPhone right now. I know I'm not getting it because it's not worth losing the headphone jack. Do they really expect this new iPhone to sell very well?
    I've been recommending to folks to get the iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus if they really want to upgrade but want the 3.5mm jack. Even my iPhone 6 Plus is still pretty proficient when it comes to performance, and that's now two generations down from the current model (the iPhone 7).

Do they really expect this new iPhone to sell very well?
    Well, of course. It's for certain that you're going to have your hardcore Apple fanboys going to get the new model, no matter what flaws or quirks it may have hardware-wise. Additionally, you'll probably see those who have "free iPhone upgrade" plans with their mobile carriers going to upgrade as well just so that they can have the newest and most up-to-date device.

Years
  • Do they really expect this new iPhone to sell very well?

There is already a fairly long wait in some places. It would appear there are lots who want the 7 and 7+

I've been looking at the threads on macrumors and loads of people stayed up late to pre-order it.

I reckon they will sell very well, but it remains to be seen if they will break any records.

Back