• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PSP Problems

Sigura

The biggest ****ing ***** here
Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2013
    Whenever I reach a certain point in my games, my PSP freezes. It starts clicking, and vibrates a little. Could you tell me what's wrong, and what I should do?

Sigura

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2013
    UMD Discs. What are downloaded isos?

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
  • Isos are essentially digital versions of the disks, used to back up your disks in a digital format. ROMs if you will. And as we all know, sharing and downloading ROMs is called piracy. In your case, as you use UMD disks, you bought your games or got them from a friend or what not, so you need not worry about being called a pirate.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Isos are essentially digital versions of the disks, used to back up your disks in a digital format. ROMs if you will. And as we all know, sharing and downloading ROMs is called piracy. In your case, as you use UMD disks, you bought your games or got them from a friend or what not, so you need not worry about being called a pirate.
    This explanation is misleading at best. ISO images aren't necessarily used to back up discs, and they're not necessarily illegal. Many Linux distributions are distributed in ISO format, and while ISOs can be burned to a CD, they can also be mounted for other purposes. Microsoft distributes a lot of their stuff on the MSDN in ISO format; I just downloaded Access for my Database course and that was an ISO image. I mounted it using Daemon Tools and installed, easy as cake.

So theoretically, you could have some legal use for an ISO image. However, when you're discussing the PSP and ISO images in the same sentence, you tend to be talking about piracy. That's not always the case, though.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    You two, again.

Anyway, my initial thought was your UMD laser having problems but that wouldn't cause the PSP to freeze up.

Have you tried updating the firmware?

Years
  • It wouldn't have anything to do with the UMD itself, would it? If that's damaged, then it makes sense why it would lock up at certain points in the game. Care to elaborate a little on when it's freezing?

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
  • This explanation is misleading at best. ISO images aren't necessarily used to back up discs, and they're not necessarily illegal.

Well, I did say sharing downloading and sharing isos. In that case, I really did mean downloading stuff illegally. Using isos as back up is a completely different story, but I can see my comment being misleading.

Sigura

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2013
    It wouldn't have anything to do with the UMD itself, would it? If that's damaged, then it makes sense why it would lock up at certain points in the game. Care to elaborate a little on when it's freezing?
    Sorry for posting so late.

The screen turns black, and stays like that. The PSP starts making a clicking noise, and shaking a little. I can still exit out of the game, but the game itself is frozen.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • PSP is gaming-related so this is heading over to Other Games.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I have a psp i use UMD's too. Mine does the same thing every 3 months. I don't know the problem ethier.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    It's probably your UMD drive itself. You can get around this a few ways.
    1) contact SONY
    2) Buy new PSP
    3) Mod your PSP to play .isos but only if you actually own the games.

Back