• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Psychic type or dark type starter?

daynbrian

A pokemon lover loving hacks
    Years
    Hello everyone,dayn here.I am just curious of something.If any of you guys were given the opportunity to choose a starter pokemon between a psychic type and dark type,which type would you guys choose?And which pokemon would be that starter pokemon?

For myself,perhaps I would choose dark type and Zoroark as my partner.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    A Darkrai, or an Absol (as it can mega). That'd definitely spare me some time.
    Not fond of psychic either, but a Mewtwo can come into question.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Give me Sneasel and I'm happy :3 or perhaps Solosis, as an eventual Reuniclus would be pretty cool to have as my starter/partner.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    I made a quick check on what is common amongst starters, and found these:

- they are pure-type. None are double-type (at least not at tier 1).
    - they all have tier 1-3 forms
    - they evolve without special treatment (like trading or touching with stones
    - their evolution happens ca. clvl 16/32.

By this standard there can not be a Dark Starter.

Psychic Starters could be:
    - Abra, but it requires trading to evolve.
    - Gothita
    - Solosis,
    where both Gothita and Solosis evolve at much higher levels than the regular starters (both at 32/41).

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Depends which one is the cutest/coolest. There's a lot more to a starter Pokemon than it's type sometimes.

Years
    It honestly depends on the Pokemon, as I like both Psychic and Dark Pokemon, so it's tough for me to pick between the two.

If I were to start off with a Psychic type Pokemon, I'd probably go with either Ralts or Slowpoke, but I'd pick Deino if I'm going with a Dark type.

daynbrian

A pokemon lover loving hacks
    Years
    flight said:
    Is this really unlimited as far as which Pokemon I can choose to have as my starter? Like, if I choose a psychic type, does that mean I can like, have Mew as my starter or something? That's seems a bit over the edge. :o

Yes,it is unlimited,imagine it being a hacked game :D

twillight said:
    I made a quick check on what is common amongst starters, and found these:

- they are pure-type. None are double-type (at least not at tier 1).
    - they all have tier 1-3 forms
    - they evolve without special treatment (like trading or touching with stones
    - their evolution happens ca. clvl 16/32.

By this standard there can not be a Dark Starter.

Psychic Starters could be:
    - Abra, but it requires trading to evolve.
    - Gothita
    - Solosis,
    where both Gothita and Solosis evolve at much higher levels than the regular starters (both at 32/41).

Wow thanks man,didn't know that until now.

Last edited by a moderator:

AquaMarine8

One less, one less problem~
    Years
    I think I would choose a Psychic type Pokemon, that Pokemon being Espeon. Starting out with Espeon and Umbreon in Colosseum was always so awesome. <3

Years
    Definitely dark type! There are so many cool ones. Starting off with a Houndour? Yes please!! Wouldn't say no to a Scraggy, Murkrow or a Deino either :>

In fact, I remember a few Ruby play throughs where I got rid of my starter as soon as possible and continued with just a Poochyena. Fun times!

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    It depends, I like some Psychic-types more than some Dark-types, and vice versa.

Some of my favorite Psychic-types are Espeon, Medicham, Chimecho, Latias, Jirachi, Delphox, and Espurr/Meowstic.

Aaand some of my favorite Dark-types are Umbreon, Absol, Liepard, Zorua/Zoroark, and that's about it.

So, I guess I'm more partial to Psychic-types haha. I actually am currently trying to breed a shiny Espurr to use as my starter when I restart my Y version, so...

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Without even looking I'm going to say I'd probably end up going with a psychic type. There's a lot more of them I like. Just thinking off the bat I'd go with maybe Abra, Drowzee, Jynx, Starmie, Solrock, Lunatone... I could go on lol.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I'd go for the Dark-type starter since they're a little less common in comparison to Psychic types. As for who I'd choose would most likely be Pawniard.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
    I will choose a Psychic type Pokemon Alakazam(as it can mega evolve).It really made me have a good start in the games due to its high special attack,defense and incredible speed.And If i had to choose Dark type Pokemon I will choose Absol which can mega evolve later....

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
    Years
    LOL, we already have a psychic and dark type starter in gen 6 which are Delphox and Greninja. But if I were to pick a pure type then I would choose Chimecho since it's tiny enough for me to hold it in my hands or place it on my backpack, the fact that it requires high friendship to evolve is also another reason why I would have it as my starter. My second choice for a starter would be Inkay since its ability contrary is very useful and it's both psychic & dark type.

Last edited:

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin fanatic!
    Years
    I'd probably go for a Dark type starter, though I'd want them to come up with new Pokemon for the starters for the Dark and Psychic types. It'd be a little more interesting that way, and it'd be cool to see what they come up with. ;3 As for Pokemon that already exist, I'd probably go with Zorua since it seems the most starter-ish of the Dark type Pokemon out there. I'm not sure what would be a good Psychic type starter; maybe Slowpoke or Ralts? They seem like decent Pokemon as starters for those types.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
    I LOVE PSYCHIC TYPES SO MUCH!! Hypno is my favourite Pokémon, but in interest of fairness I'd pick up a Drowzee. It just is so perfect and under appreciated!

Back