• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Public Assistance Programs

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I believe the Constitution does give us the authority to do what I am proposing.

You ignore the 8th amendment, which is the prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment. A prison official may not refuse to provide medical care to a seriously ill inmate. (Estelle v. Gamble, 429 U.S. 97, 97 S. Ct. 285, 50 L. Ed. 2d 251 [1976]). The restriction of food to an inmate would also be a violation of the 8th amendment.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

You ignore the 8th amendment, which is the prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment. A prison official may not refuse to provide medical care to a seriously ill inmate. (Estelle v. Gamble, 429 U.S. 97, 97 S. Ct. 285, 50 L. Ed. 2d 251 [1976]). The restriction of food to an inmate would also be a violation of the 8th amendment.

Most ailments do not qualify as "seriously ill". Also, denying care and food is not the same thing as making those who are able pay or work for it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Most ailments do not qualify as "seriously ill". Also, denying care and food is not the same thing as making those who are able pay or work for it.

You'd have a VERY difficult time arguing that case before the courts. But you're welcome to try. Just be prepared to hear more than a few muffled snickers.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I find it funny that the needy have trouble getting shelter, healthcare, food, etc., but criminals have all of that provided to them. Something isn't right there. We should take away free healthcare for prisoners and make them work for their food and shelter. Criminals who have lots of money (Bernie Madoff comes to mind) should have to pay for the cost of their incarceration.
    I find that funny too. However, I think your solution is a bit off. How about instead of taking away free healthcare from prisoners, we just give it to everyone else? Prisoners can get the same healthcare they always had. That makes more sense to me. I'd be willing to pay more taxes for that.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years

I really don't see how putting prisoners to good use by having them work in the same sort of job environment that many others already work in calls for cruel or unusual punishment.
    I'd totally get it if they were being whipped or something.. but they wouldn't be. I get what Freaky is saying. Having them do mandatory community or factory/ labour work for a few hours a day to sort of pay off the free food and shelter they are getting makes perfect sense to me.
    How would it be cruel? Everyone else in the world does it; we have to work to eat.. so why not have the same standards in jail?

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I really don't see how putting prisoners to good use by having them work in the same sort of job environment that many others already work in calls for cruel or unusual punishment.
    I'd totally get it if they were being whipped or something.. but they wouldn't be. I get what Freaky is saying. Having them do mandatory community or factory/ labour work for a few hours a day to sort of pay off the free food and shelter they are getting makes perfect sense to me.
    How would it be cruel? Everyone else in the world does it; we have to work to eat.. so why not have the same standards in jail?

The last time I checked, all prisons had some form of work programs for inmates, many of which are mandatory to those physically capable of doing the work. Also, the purpose of incarcerating an individual for breaking the law is to protect the public. I find it ridiculous then that someone would advocate having these inmates work outside the prison, thereby increasing the risk to the public, and also the added security costs.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I find that funny too. However, I think your solution is a bit off. How about instead of taking away free healthcare from prisoners, we just give it to everyone else? Prisoners can get the same healthcare they always had. That makes more sense to me. I'd be willing to pay more taxes for that.

If California can't afford free healthcare for prisoners, how in are we going to afford to give it to everybody else. Every time CA tried to raise taxes, the people overturned them at the ballot box.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years

The last time I checked, all prisons had some form of work programs for inmates, many of which are mandatory to those physically capable of doing the work. Also, the purpose of incarcerating an individual for breaking the law is to protect the public. I find it ridiculous then that someone would advocate having these inmates work outside the prison, thereby increasing the risk to the public, and also the added security costs.

Not if it's to help in asylums for other convicts who have pleaded insanity. I'd find that to be perfectly ok to be with their own kind like that.. and the "civilians" would already be trained to deal with those people.
    Win/Win situation.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    I find it funny that the needy have trouble getting shelter, healthcare, food, etc., but criminals have all of that provided to them. Something isn't right there. We should take away free healthcare for prisoners and make them work for their food and shelter. Criminals who have lots of money (Bernie Madoff comes to mind) should have to pay for the cost of their incarceration.

As rare as this is, I agree with you on this.

But still, odds are it would never happen because a lot of people would find this morally wrong.

But still, they are a untapped resource. Blood is always needed, so they should have to donate blood as often as safely possible.

Years

Then we need to make sure the needy, the truly needy, get what they rightfully deserve in order to get back on their feet.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Then we need to make sure the needy, the truly needy, get what they rightfully deserve in order to get back on their feet.

That isn't free. I proposed that we take these services away from criminals to compensate. Compulsory military service in exchange for assistance seems like a good idea.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    That isn't free. I proposed that we take these services away from criminals to compensate. Compulsory military service in exchange for assistance seems like a good idea.
    No.

Nobody should be required to risk his or her (nvm the draft discriminates against women) life for to go kill others.
    People on welfare need these services you're referring to or they will die. Therefore, in order to live, they would be required to undergo military service. You argued yourself that nobody should be required to risk his or her own life to go kill others. Are you saying that the homeless aren't actually people, that they're some sort of sub-human species? Because that's the only way your argument makes any sense whatsoever.

Halmtier

THE HOBO
    Years
    To much assistance makes people lazy, not enough causes major social devisions. Sadly, people are prone to abuse systems to get off easy and I don't think that's correct either. There needs to be more boundaries on these things to stop mothers from popping out babies to use as free welfare rides.

Back