• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Public displays of affection

Sirfetch’d

I think it's cute when people do this. It shows that you aren't afraid to show your love for your partner and that you could care less what other people think. I am not currently in a relationship but if I was and my partner was ok with it, I'd certainly show signs of affection in public and disregard what other people think about it/me!

Years
    I don't mind public affection at all as long as it does not involve kissing or any sexual acts whatsoever. Kissing may be fine, but it kinda pushes things a little imo.. but holding hands and hugging are perfectly fine since those show just friendliness and not necessarily express a relationship.

Faye Rose~

Resilient
    Years
    Does it bother you or not? I don't really mind as long as it's not too over the top.

Do you/would you hold hands, cuddle, kiss, etc. your special someone in public? I don't have a special someone :( but if I did I probably would.

Hannah

beep bop boop
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    It doesn't bother me that much, but when it gets to the point when they're making out like really making out, that's when I get uncomfortable. I'm still a kid, no matter how mature I might seem to some people. I still need parental guidance, y'know.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    It depends on the people, the circumstance, and the level of PDA. Let's not be making out or fondling or rubbing up on one another in public aight? That's making it uncomfortable for other people. But smooches, hand-holding, hugs, standing around with arms around each other- whatever. That's what my friends and I do with each other anyway lmao so nbd. But yeah if it makes others uncomfortable then stop. If they're just annoyed that you have someone to do that with, carry on.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I count PDA on a scale of one to High School.

Obviously high school is notorious for this kind of stuff. It always disgusted me when I would see a couple basically having sex with clothes on in the hallway. Hopefully, you will never see me doing anything like that in public. Not that you guys see me in real life, but you catch my drift, hopefully.

However, holding hands, little kisses, hugging, that's all fine. Just don't reenact high school. I got out of there and never want to go back.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
    I would feel awkward if I was making out in-front of tens and hundreds of passer-bys, but maybe that's just me. Anything touchy however is just filthy. Eurgh.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Oh, I'm terribly strange about this but I hate PDA if it has romantic undertones to it!

I get terribly irritated when I see other people doing it- it's distracting and I always wish they would just hold back until nobody else is looking or something like that. I can't explain it, but even hand holding gets under my skin!

Thus, personally, I'm not one who really goes for PDA in relationships either. I don't like holding hands or kissing or anything like that when other people are around-- but then I acknowledge that that's a little unusual, so I just don't get into romantic relationships with others at all. I make my adversity towards PDA clear to all suitors and they usually back off after I've set my rules. (Oops!)

But I'm for some reason 100% okay with platonic PDA?? I'm perfectly find holding hands with friends or cuddling up to someone as long as it's not romantic. It's pretty strange, but I've learned to live with it haha;;

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Why shouldn't someone be able to show their affection to someone else to the public? So long as it's nothing grotesque, I'm cool with it. The only time it bothered me was back in high school when people just overdid it with their public make out sessions between class. As for me, I have no problem showing affection to someone else (i.e. hugging, holding hands, kissing, etc.) publicly, whether it be a girlfriend or just a friend. I can't be bothered with someone else if they have a problem with it.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Holding hands, slight kisses, hugging...that's all adorable and I don't mind that. It's when couples start making out in the middle of the bakery section in my store that it gets obnoxious. People are trying to buy donuts, they don't need to see tongue and skin.

As for if I would be doing that personally? Obviously not. I have no interest to be in a relationship, so there would be no one for me to hold hands with, never mind anything more than that.

fireflystorm

shsl loser
    Years
    Hum... Well, to be completely honest, I really don't mind PDA as long as it's not past a certain limit. Groping and fondling and making out in public makes me really uncomfortable -- both me doing it or seeing others do it... I don't mind hand-holding or squeezes or long, affectionate hugs. I don't even mind kisses or nuzzles or even the occasional passionate kiss. But... anything more than that and I'm really uncomfortable! My boyfriend is uncomfortable with anything more than a kiss on the cheek with me, but he used to be all about PDA. I'm kinda glad it's chilled a bit, honestly!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I'm not a huge fan of PDA. It makes me uncomfortable seeing other people sticking their tongues down each others' throats in public, but whatever, it's not something I can fix. As far as my boyfriend and I go, the most we do is basic stuff. We'll hold hands, hug, or share a small kiss, but we don't like people knowing our business or anything. We actually made fun of this other couple at the last football game lol. Every time they kissed, we looked at each other, stuck our tongues out, and wiggled them all over like some sloppy air kiss. I think we have problems.

Crux

Evermore
    Years
    Hm, I guess I didn't realise my lacking of words. Regardless.

Spoiler:

High School never ends, Slayr.
    It. Never. Ends.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    We actually made fun of this other couple at the last football game lol. Every time they kissed, we looked at each other, stuck our tongues out, and wiggled them all over like some sloppy air kiss. I think we have problems.

Omg, can I steal that from you? My girlfriend and I are always ****ting on the lives of couples who are on each other in public.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    I don't mind at all since its not unusual to see people doing it, I don't mind if the people sitting across from me on the bus/train are making out good for them they are happy. Also I feel comfortable showing affection in public unlike some people who are frigid and stuff but that's them but I am okay with affection being shown in public gimme all dem huggs!

Years
    PDA makes me feel very uncomfortable. I even feel a little twitchy if I see couples holding hands and nothing else. To me, I just kind of see these acts as demonstrations with no meaning (I know that's not always the case, but the superficiality of my general age group always leads me towards this line of thought). There are other ways to show that you care about someone besides these social norms that we expect from couples. I know that if I were in a relationship I'd be pretty adamant about no PDA, but that's once again a personal preference and not necessarily that there's something inherently wrong with it.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    PDA makes me feel very uncomfortable. I even feel a little twitchy if I see couples holding hands and nothing else. To me, I just kind of see these acts as demonstrations with no meaning (I know that's not always the case, but the superficiality of my general age group always leads me towards this line of thought). There are other ways to show that you care about someone besides these social norms that we expect from couples. I know that if I were in a relationship I'd be pretty adamant about no PDA, but that's once again a personal preference and not necessarily that there's something inherently wrong with it.

I can understand why people would feel iffy if it came to kisses, or perhaps even small hugs, but holding hands? I agree with the statement to each his own, but I still want to at least understand how something as minimal as holding hands can make others feel twitchy. You also say that there are other ways to show you care of other people, I'd be interested to hear those ways.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    As a general rule of thumb, if it's not something you'd expect children to do, you shouldn't be doing it in public where they could be around.

People should realise that physical intimacy is largely about doing things which would be considered "gross" in any other context (personal space is done away with, exchanging saliva/fluids, etc.). And that's just it, it is gross to those of us watching.

You can wait until you get home, buddy, no one wants to see you devouring each other's faces. Have some decency.

Back