• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Meru

Pickle Barrel
Years
  • It's a great series ~
    A great twist on Magical girl.
    I'm sure there's gotta be other fans on here too. ; u ;

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • That there are, I would probably class as one of them.

I loved the concept, I loved the character design, I loved the music, I loved the style, I liked most of the characters and enjoyed the ride.

Sayaka was best meduka.

Meru

Pickle Barrel
    Years
  • Alright, a Meduka fan! 8D

Same here ~
    I wish there could of been more episodes but, the ending wasn't to bad.
    Bittersweet imo.

Sayaka was a awesome. I respected her character a lot.
    Then, again I liked them all. I think Homura was my favorite along with Kyoko.

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
    Years
  • I heard this anime was really sad..I did watch one episode though, but it was really confusing and I had no idea what was going on. Lots of weird stuff was happening. O_O

I may check it out in the future again, though I'd probably look at spoilers to prepare for the supposed sad parts. =/

Meru

Pickle Barrel
    Years
  • I heard this anime was really sad..I did watch one episode though, but it was really confusing and I had no idea what was going on. Lots of weird stuff was happening. O_O

I may check it out in the future again, though I'd probably look at spoilers to prepare for the supposed sad parts. =/
    It is pretty sad.
    Yeah, the first episode is confusing but, it will all make sense eventually.
    And yeah, I accidentally saw some spoilers and still teared up pretty badly.
    ; A ;

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I'd heard that it was a really good twist on the typical magical girl anime but I watched the first episode and just wasn't seeing the appeal.

But a few months later I sat down to watch the rest and I really, really enjoyed it. I didn't really like any of the characters for the first half of the series but by the end I think I liked pretty much everyone. It was a very interesting take on the genre and I really liked the darker aspect they added.

I was also very pleasantly surprised once I finished the series. I started reading up on various things in it and found that people had calculated what had been bothering me the whole time I was watching: witch population dynamics! /nerd

Seiren

Playing the Spirit's Tune~
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2013
    I enjoyed this, but...well, the only thing that it has going for it is that the story isn't the sort of thing you'd see in a magical girl anime. It wasn't a very good story...after that initial episode three shock, it was very, VERY easy to see where it was going to go with the whole witch dynamic, etc. I didn't like half the cast, either...I just don't see the appeal in Sayaka or Sakura, and I certainly don't see why people ship them. Homura I liked in hindsight, though, and the only reason I watched the show to begin with was because I liked Mami. xD

I'm looking forward to the movies, somewhat. The one that will have new content, anyway; I'm really not keen on "clip show" anime movies; they cut so much out that you're essentially watching the series all over again without the character development. But extended battle scenes would be nice, as would some additional scenes to tie things up a bit.

Oh, and the soundtrack for this was INCREDIBLE. Yuki Kajiura at her finest, in my opinion. I've always been a bit hit-or-miss with her work, but this was definitely in the former category. Not the best I've heard in anime, but amongst the best~

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Mahou Shoujo series almost always get yuri pairings shipped in some way, shape or form. Kyouko's my favorite cuz she's a bro, but I'm not entirely supportive of the pairing myself.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I'm a pretty big fan of the show myself after seeing it back in 2011, one of the few anime shows I still happen to like nowadays. Could have been a bit longer episode wise if you ask me but I only say that because I ended up enjoying it so much due to the awesome soundtrack, likable characters, and creative scenes if you ask me, ended up becoming a fan of Homura Akemi the most by the end even if Kyoko Sakura comes at a close second personally.

Years
  • I'm also a fan. :3 The series was so sad though, I cried when it ended. ;_; Though I really do wish Mami stayed around for longer, but oh well; she was was a great character and was handled very well, so I won't dwell on that too much. The first two episodes nearly put me to sleep though hah... almost dropped the series when I was in the middle of the second but decided to just finish it. Very glad I did, was worth it to keep watching~!

Nijiri

Manectric Fangirl.
    Years
  • I personally liked Madoka Magica. I just love how it deconstructs a genre that we usually see so happy and bubbly! I mean, it would be so FUN to be a Magical Girl until Madoka comes along... Unless if I'm not looking into anime more. I found the story interesting and I really love how everybody has the "sketchy" look in their eyes. My favorite character would have to be Sayaka first, then Mami. I just love Sayaka and Mami's personalities! I was really sad about what happened to Sayaka and Mami, though... And oh yes, the ending. I teared up on it too... Hahahahaha... :'D

Meduka was just hilarious. I couldn't even.

Nijiri

Manectric Fangirl.
    Years
  • "I mean, it would be so FUN to be a Magical Girl until Madoka comes along"

I take it you didn't watch Nanoha.

Honestly, I didn't. I'm turning myself in. Thanks for letting me know, though. I'll look into that as well.

Unless if I'm not looking into anime more.

^ ...And that's why I said that. ;;

Another thing - don't tell me I just killed this thread... .-.

Last edited:
    Years
  • You didn't kill it... And now, something new to talk about! What kind of wish do you think Walpurgisnacht made? I mean, it had to be a pretty big one for her to be able to kill thousands of people just by appearing.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • Madoka is one of those series I enjoyed watching as it aired, but when I looked back at the experience I kind of questioned how good it actually was. Don't get me wrong, I still look back fondly at the show. It really was great overall, and had a lot of tragic and memorable moments throughout that are worthy of praise. It was a dark magical girl series to be sure, but not the first of it's kind (see: Nanoha for another example of a series that has a lot of dark undertones, albeit not as prominent).

I think my main problem with the series were the characters themselves, though. Almost all of them were very two dimensional personality wise, and I had problems feeling sympathetic for them as a result. If you were to ask anyone who knows me, I cry very easily when it comes to fictional characters placed in tragic situations, but I don't think I shed a single tear watching it. I don't think its any fault of the characters themselves, I just don't think we were really given much time to get to really KNOW them.

Back