• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pure, subbed or dubbed?

What do you prefer?

• Pure

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Subbed

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Dubbed

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Lugia

The Gaurdian of THE world!
    Years
    subbed..... actually this is the best as there in no loss in voice and sound quality.
    we need to hear all sounds around also and importance should not be given only to speech....

Kairyu

speedy digital tablet artist
    Years
    Subbed, I like to hear the movie and show the way it was heard originally. I still haven't fully learned Japanese so having good subtitles never hurts either.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2008
    1.Subbed- original voicing etc. AND you can understand it...
    2.Dubbed- Dubbed is the next best thing, though the original voicing is lost .
    3.Pure- Unless you can understand that certain language pure is virtually useless to you (unless you watch TV programmes for the pretty pictures)
    Alright then subbed it is...

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
    Years
    At first I thought that the dubbed and the subbed are the same besides the voicing. However this seems not to be the case and therefore I like it subbed.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Actually it can go either place, according to the rules. ^_^;
    Subbed is my favorite, plus usually it's on the computer which is a plus for me. I can watch it when I want to, pause etc. I don't like watching it on TV. ._.;

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Oct 11, 2014
    I NEVER use subtitles >_<

PURE is the only thing worth watching in my opinion.

Subtitles are lame for several reasons...

1: they detract from the action and the voices, so that someone reading subtitles is not even listening to the words. This detracts from the art of the cartoon, because a great deal of the art is in the voices and acting and the actual ART! Watch the show not the subitles!

2: because this show has never been 'officially' translated, all subititles are made by unprofessionals and most of them are actually just translated from chinese translations of the original japanese, making them two times removed from the original words. In other words, I have never come across a decent subtitled movie or episode EVER except for mizu no miyako no mamorigami.

3: They are irritating and rarely correct. If you don't understand japanese jokes, cultural comments, puns, caricatures, &c, you will not understand a lot of this show. There is no way to translate these things into another language, just as a lot of English humour would have a terrible time translating into Japanese.

So in my opinion thats the final word on it. I hate subtitles! They're horrible! Why doesn't somebody who actually speaks Japanese make them! THey're distracting and poorly translated and detract from the show! Do away with them forever!

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
    Years
    yakksoho said:
    PURE is the only thing worth watching in my opinion.

Subtitles are lame for several reasons...

1: they detract from the action and the voices, so that someone reading subtitles is not even listening to the words. This detracts from the art of the cartoon, because a great deal of the art is in the voices and acting and the actual ART! Watch the show not the subitles!

2: because this show has never been 'officially' translated, all subititles are made by unprofessionals and most of them are actually just translated from chinese translations of the original japanese, making them two times removed from the original words. In other words, I have never come across a decent subtitled movie or episode EVER except for mizu no miyako no mamorigami.

3: They are irritating and rarely correct. If you don't understand japanese jokes, cultural comments, puns, caricatures, &c, you will not understand a lot of this show. There is no way to translate these things into another language, just as a lot of English humour would have a terrible time translating into Japanese.

So in my opinion thats the final word on it. I hate subtitles! They're horrible! Why doesn't somebody who actually speaks Japanese make them! THey're distracting and poorly translated and detract from the show! Do away with them forever!
    I have the first 13 episodes of AG and it doesn't look unprofessional at all. The translators have extensive knowledge of the Japanese language and uses sidenotes to explain Japanese humor, puns and stuff. So I don't agree completely that subtitles are lame. Sure, pure would be great (I have a lot of RAW episodes), if only I could understand what they are saying. I can guess what they are saying by looking at their expression and how they act, but it remains a guess. Since I only understand a few simple words in Japanese, I prefer 'subtitle', otherwise I would have voted 'pure'.

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Oct 11, 2014
    Unown_ said:
    I have the first 13 episodes of AG and it doesn't look unprofessional at all. The translators have extensive knowledge of the Japanese language and uses sidenotes to explain Japanese humor, puns and stuff. So I don't agree completely that subtitles are lame. Sure, pure would be great (I have a lot of RAW episodes), if only I could understand what they are saying. I can guess what they are saying by looking at their expression and how they act, but it remains a guess. Since I only understand a few simple words in Japanese, I prefer 'subtitle', otherwise I would have voted 'pure'.

That is really good to hear! I am glad that there are good translaters for pocket monster advanced generation. I remember when I was younger i would watch the show in english with my friends and was appalled at it because it was so differetn from the original show. but i hope they have improved a lot :)

i understand that if you cannot speak japanese it may be better to watch subtitles, but i must point out that i have never watched it with subtitles, and 5 years ago, the first time i saw pocket monster, i did not know any japanese at all and didn't want to learn it at all. now i'm fluent in the language. i dont think subtitles are necessary.

Back