• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

purpose of life

girliehhhhhh

safhsdjklhfsdjk;
    Years
    yeah i caught slight cold from all my drinking, and here i am bored again. however, what is the meaning of life in your opinions? we get up, work, do various chores, have dinner and then go back to sleep. again tomorrow, we will repeat this process for the rest of our lives. if we are lucky, this day to day routine is broken by various outings and events, yet for the most part, our lives runs in the same pattern year after year. with that in mind, i'm freaking bored of it. i do spend a lot of time with my family and friends and we do have a lot of good times, but what is the actual meaning of life? growing older to raise our children in hoping that they live a better life than us? yes in the process we put numerous wear and tear on our body for the sake of sacrificing for others? so in the end, what do you live for, or what is your take on life?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    The way I figure, there is no pre-ordained purpose. The purpose in our lives is whatever we choose it to be.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
    There is no real reason that I know of, but in my opinion it doesn't matter what it is, just have your life and enjoy it to what you can after all, we may be only living one as we don't know if reincarnation is actually true, so you may as well just get on with everything in a fun matter even if you look an idiot.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    like twocows said, i don't think there's any intrinsic purpose for the individual- life's what you make of it on your own. though i find that the human existence can be defined by evading despair in all its forms- the OP mentioned this monotonous, routinely path society forces us to take; how we work to get an education so that we're prone to a comfortable lifestyle in the future, we submit to authority to dodge conflict, we socialize so we don't have to experience loneliness- we've been preparing to avoid misery since birth. you'll notice that drastic situations don't frequently occur in the average person's life, and maybe some have been fortunate enough to never have encountered any. so i suppose everyone kind of subconsciously shares a subjectively-defined purpose, to avoid despair.

Years
    Trying to find our purpose in life is pretty much what life ia all about. We spend our lives trying to discover this. Sometimes we do, sometimes we give up and resort ourselves to whatever mundane existence we have now.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I haven't made the assumption that life should require a purpose or direction.
    It seems if anything to exist for its own sake, like it wants to thrive and last. A natural desire to multiply and expand, but why we have this instinct? I don't think we need a reason, human as it is to look for one.

Fyreflies

Blazin' trails through Kanto
    Years
    "Nihilism is the philosophical doctrine suggesting the negation of one or more meaningful aspects of life. Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism, which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value."

I don't know how I could have turned out as anything but.

Metatron

No guts, no glory
    Years
    "Nihilism is the philosophical doctrine suggesting the negation of one or more meaningful aspects of life. Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism, which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value."

Nihilist philosophy makes no sense to me. To argue that life is without meaning...why did you get out of bed this morning then? After all we've accomplished in the history of humankind, how can one say that it's all been in vain? If the entire planet were to adopt this philosophy, I can only imagine what a horridly morbid world we'd live in.

I don't believe in a "divine being." I don't believe in fate. However, I do believe that every individual person here right now does have a purpose in his/her own life.

But it's your job to create that purpose.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    We actually haven't discovered our true purpose in life. My guess is that it's to make the most out of the several decades you have to live.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    I guess the purpose is no purpose really. There isn't one . The meaning is to live it as much as possible.

Future Arceus

I hate my name
    Years
    um......for animals it's to reproduce.....we need to do the same so our species doesn't die out.....if we make more young than our purpose in life is complete...On a more really thoughtful mumbo-jumbo-y standpoint

"The meaning of life? How can one answer that? Life is nothing to some, everything to others, whiles some only live on the streets homeless without a family, others live in mansions with nice families and good jobs. Life is to be lived to the fullest. Life is whatever you want! Whatever makes you happy. There is no purpose to life for life is everything, yet meaningless at the same time." Did that sound fancy?! :)

Purpose of life: Be born, Reproduce, Die

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    The purpose of life is that you aren't a unkind or selfish person and do good things to the community. AKA being a good smaraton.

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
    In my opinion.. I don't really think there is a purpose to life.. we're given one life to live, and we choose how we want to live it. Though sometimes I do think we're just here to populate the planet..? I could be wrong, though. No one seems to really know what the real purpose is, to be honest. But people have different views/opinions on it.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
    From a Biological point of view it's solely to reproduce. Of course a lot of people choose not to have children but I think knowing a part of you will carry on in your children when death is uncertain is a beautiful thought.

I try not to think about my purpose. I do want to do something to be remembered by though. In a philosophical view I sit there in Biology class, learning about how the brain works and you think to yourself.. "does my Brain really produce all these thoughts and my personality? Is that really possible?" It probably is, but call me a coward but I don't like to think of death as an oblivion and that's it. There are too many freaky things that happen in the world to be just so.

I think your purpose is whatever you want it to be. you will never know when your last moments are [well, most of us] so just try to experience life to the full. We are still young now so we are uncertain, but when we are old we will look back and think "what a life well lived" :)

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    yeah i caught slight cold from all my drinking,

That's the microorganisms telling you to stop pouring poison down their tunnel. >_<

I think there is no purpose or point to life, you have to give it a purpose, you have to give a purpose to your life. Everyone probably has goals in mind, whether they realize it or not, and that is their purpose. Even if it's just pursuing goals, with the work you put in you learn a lot about yourself and others, and so there's a point to that too, even if you don't reach your goal.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    Personally I believe that we live to learn lessons. Whether that be lessons about love, sharing, or something bad, it doesn't matter.

That's just the way I see it.

Back