• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Putting others before yourself.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'm someone who thinks that it's important to put others before yourself, but not to the point of sacrificing things you want in life for their happiness at the cost of your own. How do you feel about putting others before yourself?

Doogle3097

Hola.
    Years
  • I'll put others before myself in general, because I care more about their feelings than my own. But I agree if it involves sacrificing my happiness or something else really important to me, I wouldn't.

Ayselipera

I probably wouldn't care. If It seems like I do then it's either A) You don't annoy me so I just agree/do whatever you want because I honestly do not care/enjoy whatever you decide on. B) I don't care for myself to begin with so I become more interested in you.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I do. Way too often. If someone wants the same thing I do, I'll more than likely help them achieve that. Whether it be love, the last game on the shelf knowing that it will be the last copy ever made, or whatever, I will usually help others obtain it. But, in the end, I'm happy anyway.

Years
  • It depends on what condition I am in. If I'm in a decent mood then I'm more likely to put someone else's needs before mine but if I'm in the gutter then it's far less likely for me to do that.

-Connor97-

Yeah that's that super bass
    Years
  • Welllll >u<, when i was a little kid, everythig used to be, all about me me and me ;). But now ive changed :PP and ive learned its actually WAY beter to care for otheres first 8DDDD, it makes u a better person!

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I think it's important to live your life for you. It's great to put others before yourself sometimes - I do it a lot with my friends irl, but ultimately if you're going to live happily it's important to put yourself first where it counts. That's why I don't intend to have children. When you have children your priorities change and everything you are becomes about your child. The very thought horrifies me.

I think it is different when you are in a serious relationship though; I think if you are in love with somebody then you have to put both yourself and your partner first as a unit. If you come before them, then they will grow to resent you for it but if you put them before yourself, then you will eventually grow to resent them. It must be equal and conjoined.

Years
  • I always put other before myself. Most people say that I'm a kind hearted selfless person because of it but I'm really not. I honestly like putting others before myself, I get a kick out of making someone else feel happy. To me that's kind of selfish because I'm doing it to get something out of it.
    Also, having a brother four years older than me I've gotten use to watching others have things I don't get.

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
    Years
  • I'm quite loyal for those I love/trust. A random stranger? Maybe I'll buy you a drink or someting minor, but otherwise, see ya!

A family member or a friend? (and in real life I'm very picky with my friends). I would lay my life on the line for them.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I tend to do that with little things that put me out because I just...do. I don't really enjoy doing it and I resent other people a little bit when they don't offer to take over a bit but I still do because I don't want to annoy people. Things like getting to a pickup spot 5 minutes early even though it's below freezing so they don't have to wait for me in their warm car, putting aside the times that are best for me to hang out and just doing whatever's best for them, things like that. I just feel like it's right to do even though I don't feel nice doing it, lol.

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
  • It depends on the person I'm sacrificing for. If it's somebody I deeply cherish and adore, then yes, I would do anything, even for my happiness. As for a stranger or acquaintance, I would only help do the small things, but not much.

However..if it were a toddler, I wouldn't mind helping them out.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I think some of you missed my question or didn't even bother reading it. I didn't ask if you put others before yourself, I asked how you felt about putting others before yourself.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    It's just the right thing, according to my philosophy. I believe that I have to gain the trust of others, so I put them before myself. Maybe I care too much about their opinions, but it makes sense to me. It makes me feel better if other people smile or if they're happy or whatever. Or maybe it's that I've been raised to follow the "Golden Rule", treat others the way you want to be treated.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I'm a very selfish person that, nevertheless, tries to be selfless when possible. As oxymoronic as that may look on the screen, it sort of makes sense to me. I'd love a world where everyone did stuff for me, but at the same time, I do like doing stuff for other people... provided that it doesn't negatively impact me too much. I dunno... it's complicated, I guess.

Back