• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Question about Battle Speed

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2015
    I had a few questions about how two events occurred and if there's something I'm overlooking. I had two separate Single battles in Battle Spot where my pokemon were out-sped, and so far I can't make sense of how it happened. In both scenarios, there were no moves used that caused a change in accuracy or evasion.

Scenario 1 - My Chandelure vs Opposing Greninja:
    I've bred a Timid Chandelure with 31 Speed IVs and dumped 252 Speed EVs into it. The in-game stats say its speed is 284 at LV100, which corresponds with Serebii's Max Stats - Beneficial Nature speed maximum stat. I have it hold Choice Scarf, which should boost speed by 50%, effectively making its battle speed 284*1.5=426.

I'm paired with a player who has a Greninja in their party. It's an OU pokemon, so not that uncommon, and most of the time I can outspeed it and OHKO with Energy Ball. Sure enough, my first out is Chandelure and their first out is Greninja. Business as usual, I choose Energy Ball, but this time the opposing Greninja goes first and kills me with Hydro Pump. I send in Garchomp because I'm expecting Choice Scarf Hydro Pump again, but it uses Ice Beam without switching out.

I was baffled, but willing to accept that there's something at play I don't yet understand.

Scenario 2 - My Garchomp vs Opposing Garchomp:
    Again, I've bred a Jolly Garchomp with 31 Speed IVs and dumped 252 Speed EVs. The in-game speed is 333, which appears to be its maximum speed possible. It's holding Choice Band, so no speed increase.

The other player's pokemon has been defeated by my Garchomp's Outrage, which is still ongoing. Out comes the opponent's Garchomp. It Mega Evolves, so immediately I know there's no Choice Scarf and it's maximum speed is at most 311. To my utter surprise, I'm hit with a Dragon Tail first and faint. There is no Sandstorm active if that makes any difference.

I'm convinced this should have been impossible.

So if anyone has any expertise on how these two outcomes occurred, I'd be more than eager to learn why this was. I've only recently began battling other players, so any advice is appreciated.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    I had a few questions about how two events occurred and if there's something I'm overlooking. I had two separate Single battles in Battle Spot where my pokemon were out-sped, and so far I can't make sense of how it happened. In both scenarios, there were no moves used that caused a change in accuracy or evasion.

Scenario 1 - My Chandelure vs Opposing Greninja:
    I've bred a Timid Chandelure with 31 Speed IVs and dumped 252 Speed EVs into it. The in-game stats say its speed is 284 at LV100, which corresponds with Serebii's Max Stats - Beneficial Nature speed maximum stat. I have it hold Choice Scarf, which should boost speed by 50%, effectively making its battle speed 284*1.5=426.

I'm paired with a player who has a Greninja in their party. It's an OU pokemon, so not that uncommon, and most of the time I can outspeed it and OHKO with Energy Ball. Sure enough, my first out is Chandelure and their first out is Greninja. Business as usual, I choose Energy Ball, but this time the opposing Greninja goes first and kills me with Hydro Pump. I send in Garchomp because I'm expecting Choice Scarf Hydro Pump again, but it uses Ice Beam without switching out.

I was baffled, but willing to accept that there's something at play I don't yet understand.

Scenario 2 - My Garchomp vs Opposing Garchomp:
    Again, I've bred a Jolly Garchomp with 31 Speed IVs and dumped 252 Speed EVs. The in-game speed is 333, which appears to be its maximum speed possible. It's holding Choice Band, so no speed increase.

The other player's pokemon has been defeated by my Garchomp's Outrage, which is still ongoing. Out comes the opponent's Garchomp. It Mega Evolves, so immediately I know there's no Choice Scarf and it's maximum speed is at most 311. To my utter surprise, I'm hit with a Dragon Tail first and faint. There is no Sandstorm active if that makes any difference.

I'm convinced this should have been impossible.

So if anyone has any expertise on how these two outcomes occurred, I'd be more than eager to learn why this was. I've only recently began battling other players, so any advice is appreciated.
    If your Pokemon really are bred and trained the way you say they are and there were no other factors influencing Speed then yeah that shouldn't be possible. Particularly the 2nd one, since Dragon Tail has -1 priority and Outrage has +/-0 priority.

Did you happen to save the Battle Videos though? This isn't the first time I've seen someone post about how this thing happened that shouldn't have happened, only to watch the battle video and see something they missed that explains everything.

Reactions: Sun
    Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2015
    If your Pokemon really are bred and trained the way you say they are and there were no other factors influencing Speed then yeah that shouldn't be possible. Particularly the 2nd one, since Dragon Tail has -1 priority and Outrage has +/-0 priority.

Did you happen to save the Battle Videos though? This isn't the first time I've seen someone post about how this thing happened that shouldn't have happened, only to watch the battle video and see something they missed that explains everything.

I didn't, and you're right that a video would have helped. I didn't know how to access the videos back when these battles occurred so I didn't bother saving them. That's one of the reasons I posted on here, just to gain some clarity and see if anyone else can give me a hint where I can look for answers in lieu of a video. I'm familiar with Baton Pass stat passing and common ability that give speed bonuses, but I'm pretty sure none of that applied.

Thank you for your response though.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017

I didn't, and you're right that a video would have helped. I didn't know how to access the videos back when these battles occurred so I didn't bother saving them. That's one of the reasons I posted on here, just to gain some clarity and see if anyone else can give me a hint where I can look for answers in lieu of a video. I'm familiar with Baton Pass stat passing and common ability that give speed bonuses, but I'm pretty sure none of that applied.

Thank you for your response though.

The Dragon Tail really caught my eye. Unless you are using that move, as Nah says it should be 'slower' than you on that turn.

This is one of the many reasons why I'm not keen on participating any battles, as they are unfair and it's simply going to tarnish my record for nothing; I don't mind losing, I mind losing when it's an unfair match.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
    I assume they actually used Water Shuriken (or tailwind etc was active) and Dragon Dive, because what you said would truly never happen otherwise. Especially the Dragon Tail.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I assume they actually used Water Shuriken (or tailwind etc was active) and Dragon Dive, because what you said would truly never happen otherwise. Especially the Dragon Tail.

Unless the OP's Garchomp was hit before/the opponent's Garchomp was powered up in various way/Dragon Tail landed a critical hit, I believe it's impossible to OHKO an another Garchomp with a Dragon Tail.

Back