• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Question about Masuda Method and Trading

Alpha Snowdust

Eevee Enthusiast
Years
    • She/Her or They/Them
    • Seen Jan 19, 2021
    So I got Shield. I can't get Nintendo Online and no one locally plays the game in another language. I do have Home on the Switch.

If I play Shield (hasn't been opened or played yet) in say, Japanese or Spanish, complete the game, catch a Ditto, and then send it over to my Sword, which is in English, would that count as a foreign Ditto? I can set the language (at the beginning of Shield) still, even if my Switch is in English? I just want to double check before getting my hopes up. I've looked online, but nothing has really helped.

It's not possible to trade between two SwSh or Home accounts that are on the same Switch right? My sister wants a Sobble
    Spoiler:
    (Spoiler for Diglett guy on Isle of Armor) and I want a Grookey
    Spoiler:
    (Spoiler for diglett guy). We would have to trade them with our next door neighbor who would trade them to us, right? Like my sister trades our neighbor the two pokemon and our neighbor trades those two pokemon with me?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    So I got Shield. I can't get Nintendo Online and no one locally plays the game in another language. I do have Home on the Switch.

If I play Shield (hasn't been opened or played yet) in say, Japanese or Spanish, complete the game, catch a Ditto, and then send it over to my Sword, which is in English, would that count as a foreign Ditto? I can set the language (at the beginning of Shield) still, even if my Switch is in English? I just want to double check before getting my hopes up. I've looked online, but nothing has really helped.

It's not possible to trade between two SwSh or Home accounts that are on the same Switch right? My sister wants a Sobble
    Spoiler:
    (Spoiler for Diglett guy on Isle of Armor) and I want a Grookey
    Spoiler:
    (Spoiler for diglett guy). We would have to trade them with our next door neighbor who would trade them to us, right? Like my sister trades our neighbor the two pokemon and our neighbor trades those two pokemon with me?

Thanks!

Yes. All that matters for Masuda is that the two pokemon have different language tags. So Jap+Eng or Spa+Eng or Jap+Spa or whatever. It works and is a known method of easily getting foreign pokemon.

You CAN use Pokemon Home to transfer pokemon between two profiles. All you need to do is to change the profile when selecting a game. Also, I'm not understanding your Diglett reward wants. You get the same type starter as what you started with. So your sister would get what she wants and you would get what you want: there's no need to trade.

Alpha Snowdust

Eevee Enthusiast
    Years
    • She/Her or They/Them
    • Seen Jan 19, 2021
    Thanks so much!
    She got Grookey and plans to choose Scorbunny for Shield, but she adores
    Spoiler:

Back