• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question about RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliesterus

Loves Over the top Overkill
Years
  • Um, I don't know where else to post this, but here goes...

Okay, in order to correctly RNG, and hit the seed in Heart Gold, I have to recieve the EXACT call replies in the exact correct orders, correct?

Oh, and all roamers have been caught, so no verifying seeds through that(unfortunately).

Another question, because Smogon wasn't too clear on this, do you use a time finder for hitting the seed for egg IV's? Or do you just simply just open up the game and hope for the best?

Finally, is there a time limit for you to verify your seed?

Still learning the mechanics to RNGing, and trying to get some of these questions out of the way.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
    Years
  • To answer your first question, yes, yes you do. If the calls don't match up with the order you need it's wrong. And don't worry, it's perfectly possible and not all THAT difficult to RNG without any roamers released.

Yes, you do have to hit a seed for an egg's IVs if I recall correctly, so you'll have to use Time Finder (or one of those tools in Reporter or PPRNG to get it right).

However for the final question I have no idea, but I'm guessing no.

RNG can be difficult to learn at first so these questions are understandable. However next time you should use the RNG thread in Trade Corner for questions such as these. Said thread can be found here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=293804

However sometimes you need live help and that's what TC's chatroom can be used for. Provided there is an RNGer in there willing to answer questions (which I'm sure there are of course ;)). In which case you can find information on how to access our chatroom here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/announcement.php?f=161&a=573

aliesterus

Loves Over the top Overkill
    Years
  • Alrighty, and thanks for the link and answers!

@Above: I'm only planning on RNGing for three occasions, for a Shiny near flawless Frosslass to complete my party, and two different shinys for two different friends. There may be other occasions, but I'm not going to spam it willy nilly.

Last edited:

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • I have not found a shiny with RNG, but I have looked into some of the Smogon articles on RNG. It looked like Chinese to me, but what I got out of it is that:

1) Good IV's on a Pokemon are way easier to manipulate than Shiny. The algorithm for good IV's is known and accurate, but it requires that you know your Secret ID.

2) The RNG is not really random at all, the game picks certain values with each frame. It appears random because the player is not able to predict everything with each frame.

3) Because the rate for shinies/good IV's is so low, there are a scarce amount of frames that have the things you want. There is a small margin for error, you have to SR a lot to get exactly what you want.

I'd shoot for good IV's based on these facts, but even that is difficult. If you're really dedicated and the (pseudo)RNG is on your side, you'll get a Shiny. Just remember that shinyness in a pokemon isn't as wildly random as you think, you just need a lucky frame.

My source talks about RNG in 3rd gen if you're interested, the RNG formula changed for 4th gen but my point is the same. If you look into this article https://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/dpphgss_rng_intro, you'll find that things like Cute Charm and Poke Radar have an impact on the RNG values.

Years
  • To answer your first question, yes, yes you do. If the calls don't match up with the order you need it's wrong. And don't worry, it's perfectly possible and not all THAT difficult to RNG without any roamers released.

Yes, you do have to hit a seed for an egg's IVs if I recall correctly, so you'll have to use Time Finder (or one of those tools in Reporter or PPRNG to get it right).

However for the final question I have no idea, but I'm guessing no.

RNG can be difficult to learn at first so these questions are understandable. However next time you should use the RNG thread in Trade Corner for questions such as these. Said thread can be found here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=293804

However sometimes you need live help and that's what TC's chatroom can be used for. Provided there is an RNGer in there willing to answer questions (which I'm sure there are of course ;)). In which case you can find information on how to access our chatroom here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/announcement.php?f=161&a=573

Tabor linked to the correct areas for inquiries about RNG mechanics, so feel free to head there if you still have any questions.

Closed

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back