• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Question about Tile, Block and Maps

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2015
    Well, I've searched for nights before I posted this and tutorials are inactive and outdated though partly helpful

Simply, I'd like to completely use 4th gen tiles in my hack. I have learned how to insert tiles but

1. is there any way I can create the blocks quickly? like insert 3 houses at once in the block.
    2. Should I replace? (e.g. trees with 4th gen trees), or can I add 4th gen tiles alongside the original ones? How much space is available?
    3. How many maps can I create alongside the existing ones?
    4. And can I resize all maps to the maximum size? Or will I mess up with the rom?

I'm new to hacking and is more inclined in scripting

StynaMN

I make music.
    Years
  • 1) There is a large block option: hold control, then left click and drag over the blocks you want this generally only works when at least one object is already made from the tiles in the actual map, as in the tile set they can be scattered.

2) You can add tiles at the bottom of tile sets, or where the tiles are black, but I couldn't tell you about how much space is available through that method.

3) It is likely you won't run out of space for maps, as there is quite a lot of room left, provided that you...

4) ...do not make all of you maps maximum size. Check the default maps, and see their size patterns: towns are generally 24x20, cities have a set size, etc.

I hope this helps!

StynaMN

I make music.
    Years
  • 1) There is a large block option: hold control, then left click and drag over the blocks you want. This generally only works when at least one object is already made from the tiles in the actual map, as in the tile set they can be scattered.

2) You can add tiles at the bottom of tile sets, or where the tiles are black, but I couldn't tell you about how much space is available through that method.

3) It is likely you won't run out of space for maps, as there is quite a lot of room left, provided that you...

4) ...do not make all of you maps maximum size. Check the default maps, and see their size patterns: towns are generally 24x20, cities have a set size, etc.

I hope this helps!

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2015
    Thanks. I have further clarifications if you don't mind.

How many tilesets are there?
    Is the block a tileset itself? or does it only exist in the A-map?
    Am I limited to only 12 palettes with all the tilesets?

What I'm trying to do is insert custom sprites, mainly 4th gen sprites, alongside the original sprites, and I don't want to delete yet the original ones because I would still like to use them. I need to know how many more tiles can I add and does the tiles I add get limited to the 12 palettes?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Thanks. I have further clarifications if you don't mind.

How many tilesets are there?
    Is the block a tileset itself? or does it only exist in the A-map?
    Am I limited to only 12 palettes with all the tilesets?

Many ;). An indoor main one, an outdoor main one, and many secondary tilesets. You can find the secondary tiles at the bottom of the selection in A-Map.

I'm not sure I understand your second question.

Yes - but 6 of those palettes vary between secondary tilesets. 1-6 remain constant. Therefore you have 1-6 for the main tilesets and further, unique palettes for secondary tiles.

What I'm trying to do is insert custom sprites, mainly 4th gen sprites, alongside the original sprites, and I don't want to delete yet the original ones because I would still like to use them. I need to know how many more tiles can I add and does the tiles I add get limited to the 12 palettes?

Sprites are different to tiles, so I'm unclear what you mean here. Sprites and their palettes are completely different to tile palettes. Tiles are limited to 12 palettes, sprites can only use one palette but you can expand to have hundreds of different ones.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2015
    Sorry I mean tiles. (Because they are still sprites I think)

Anyway thanks for the answers, they're really helpful

Back