• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

question - Fire Red Vs Ruby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Hey all, I'm new here and I got a question.
    I have an idea for a hack in my head and I want to start making it, but I don't know what game to be the ROM BASE
    Ruby or Red Fire.
    I saw that most of the hackz are Red Fire's and I want to ask why ?

I have thought about what each game have that the other don't and i've come to this :
    Ruby - Berries, Contants(cool\smart\cute\tough\beauty), Hm8- Dive, Secret Base, Double Battels, Normal Dex ( no national crap )
    Red Fire - Graphich ( can be changed easily ), Good Rod System ( just press on the rod and there is a bite) , Vs Seeker.

so , plz explain me what should I use as a Rom Base .

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Well i haven;t really thought about it but most people hack firered because of the better graphics.
    But ruby has all those extras.
    Well i think its because firered is more stable than ruby and ruby is waaayyy more stable than emerald.
    Well its basic that firered is easier to hack and looks better in some ways.
    And whats "in your mothers bad?

Years
  • Well i haven;t really thought about it but most people hack firered because of the better graphics.
    But ruby has all those extras.
    Well i think its because firered is more stable than ruby and ruby is waaayyy more stable than emerald.
    Well its basic that firered is easier to hack and looks better in some ways.
    And whats "in your mothers bad?

sorry for being a bit dumb but what's the meaning of the word " stable" ?
    and it's a joke - my location is at your mother's bed and I'm not alone. like I'm with your mom, hope the joke ain't too dirty, and if any one find it offensive I will delete it.

+Sneasel™

It's a meeee, itman!
    Years
  • Fire red is what most hackers use, but some do use ruby (quartz, ruby destiny).
    It depends on preference.
    By stable, he means the chance of the ROM crashing (not working), but he is wrong.
    Ruby is more stable than Fire Red, and Emerald is really really really unstable. Saphire and Leaf Green aren't used too much just because of preference, they don't make a difference.
    Also, most people choose to hack Fire Red since it has better graphics, and doesn't start out with the truck scene. That truck scene is really bad since its considered unoriginal if you use it, and its kind of hard to get rid of the rumble at the beginning...

I personally hack Fire Red, but its down to preference + the things you mentioned in your first post.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Yeah i think its just preference and i think people hack FR more because it is a more common rom than LG.
    Its all just on opinion when you think about it.
    In stability i think this is how it is.
    Ruby
    Fire red
    Leaf green
    Sapphire
    Emerald

But some hacks are LG.
    I've only seen one and that was pokemon ere- uh eruption.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2009
    -_-'
    Please stop saying Emerald is unstable... It's dumb.
    I don't see anything unstable about it...
    FireRed is a good choice, but Ruby has more "extras".
    Though I think it's easier to work with Ruby or Sapphire, since they were the first ones to pop out of the Pokemon RS source code, they are pretty much cleaner. In FR/LG/E you have more chances of bumping with a lot of un-used data, SPECIALLY in Emerald. Emerald is heavier, and has less empty space...But there is still plenty of space left in there to put in your own stuff.
    Emerald has it's advantages though... It was the last one to pop out of the Pokemon RS source, so it's the most updated one.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Well, I think firered has great graphics. Its tiles are easily changeable and the graphics are great. But it doesn't matter all upon the graphics. Ruby is also very good, with all its extras and contests, which are good for gameplay. And who says Emerald isn't stable? It will be stable once you hack it. So mainly, it depends on the hacker and the gameplay. They're all equal in every way.

~C3LEBI

Chefdude548

I'll poison your food!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2023
    Well, when you look at it, fr/lg have the islands, which translate into more map space in most cases. 'sides, the tileset can be changed, so it's only an issue for lazy hackers (like me).

~Chef

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    I like Fire Red more than Ruby, even though Ruby have the time system. Fire red has better graphics and i think Fire Red has many things that you would not normally know about, like weather and sprites, even though ruby has many stuff too.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years

• Pros:

Ruby = VERY stable, A few extra features, lots of tools.
    Fire Red = Stable enough, Better Graphics, and a fair amount of tools.
    Emerald = LOTS of extra features.
    Leaf Green = Same as Fire Red.
    Sapphire = Same as Ruby.

Cons:

Ruby = Truck scene, worse Graphics.
    Fire Red = Occational crashes here and there, Less faetures.
    Emerald = SUPER ULTRA MEGA unstable, worse graphics.
    Leaf Green = Same as Fire Red
    Sapphire = Same as Ruby.

Years
  • Why do people put bad graphics as a downside to a game? If you wanted to, you could give a Ruby Rom, Fire Red Tiles, or you could give a Fire Red Rom, ruby tiles. That really can't be counted as a downside to a rom.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • Why do people put bad graphics as a downside to a game? If you wanted to, you could give a Ruby Rom, Fire Red Tiles, or you could give a Fire Red Rom, ruby tiles. That really can't be counted as a downside to a rom.

Yeh I understand that, but for most hackers that would NEED this information(newbs) would not know how to insert new tiles; therefore, Causing it to be a downside to a ROM in their eyes. I, in fact, care much more about the actual gameplay differences apposed to, "The All Wonderful", graphical pleasers. Even though I, myself, use a Fire Red ROM for the basis of my hack, I truely beleive that the hackers of Ruby ROMs are smart. I only use Fire Red for the basis of my hack, because when I began hacking on it, I was more appealed to the graphical matters of ROMs, and now I beleive that I should carry out my first impression of ROM hacking with my hack. Now to get back on track, If you guys are looking for a good ROM to hack, and will actually sit down to insert tiles(if you are interested in those graphical matters), I think the best choice of a ROM to make the basis of your hack would be a Ruby ROM. Ruby has many features that Fire Red cannot compare with, and with -Hackmew-'s SMCA(or Start Map Chooser Advance(d)) you can rid yourself of the godforsaken truck animation that Ruby ROM's are famous for. As for the Starter situation, with a basic knowledge of scripting, It would be easy to remove the Birch event, and replace it with your own brew of starter script. Well whatever you all choose, good luck!

wolverfrog

Working on a Hack
    Years
  • firered no question about it.
    as a third option though, you could use emerald, nice grapics + extra features

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2013
    In my personal opinion, I would go with Ruby. It it the least bloated ROM out of all of the advanced generation games. Thus, you can fit more stuff onto it.

Tenzou

~Ten...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2009
    I personally prefer Ruby as a base rom for hacks. I don't know but FR has more rom space, neater graphics, etc. Either ways, Ruby is gonna go down and FR is gonna be the new base rom for hackers.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2009
    In my personal opinion, I would go with Ruby. It it the least bloated ROM out of all of the advanced generation games. Thus, you can fit more stuff onto it.

Fit more stuff into it... for how much? 1 tile more than you can fit in FR?
    Being Emerald, Crystal, Ruby, Fire Red or Sapphire or whatever, they all have free space we'll always be able to fit stuff into the rom. ;)

Years
  • Fire Red has a better selection of native tiles, as well as a better native storyline. To be honest, though, it all comes down to the basics; and if you edit these enough, like editing the function and graphics of items/pokemon, etc. with custom scripts and spriting, you really shouldn't worry too much. They're very similar ROMs.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2008
    I believe the reason most people hack firered is due to the fact that the graphics are better and the gameplay is longer (sevii islands and stuff... ><") but ruby is has the contests and pokeblocks which make it a tough opponent against Firered, although the gameplay is shorter you can make it longer by ROM EXTENSION. I know your probably thinking "why don't they just import the graphics from firered on to ruby, thus making it better?" well... who knows? I sure don't...

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I believe the reason most people hack firered is due to the fact that the graphics are better and the gameplay is longer (sevii islands and stuff... ><") but ruby is has the contests and pokeblocks which make it a tough opponent against Firered, although the gameplay is shorter you can make it longer by ROM EXTENSION. I know your probably thinking "why don't they just import the graphics from firered on to ruby, thus making it better?" well... who knows? I sure don't...

and pokeblocks are used to use pokemon in contests.
    that counts as a sidequest which will extend the game.
    but i will change my vote to ruby.
    reasons.
    sidequests(more than FR)
    time function(ASM works too but its really hard)
    contests
    secret bases
    dive HM
    New game

but fire red is better in these
    simpler scripts(at least...to me that is)
    longer story
    less sidequests
    remake of kanto
    easier to hack(even though many people like DJG or Lex_14 may disagree)

I vote ruby now because i played it yesterday and forgot all the features that there was.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back