• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] [QUESTION] Tiles

Hajima

Manga Artist 101
Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2016
    Okay.

I was wondering.

How do other Rom Hacks change almost every tile? Isn't there a limit on how many tiles to add?
    I really want to know because I'm kind of stuck on my rom hack right now figuring out how to change tiles because I'm at my current limit.

Thanks!

Last edited:

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
  • Okay.

I was wondering.

How do other Rom Hacks change almost every tile? Isn't there a limit on how many tiles to add?
    I really want to know because I'm kind of stuck on my rom hack right now figuring out how to change tiles because I'm at my current limit.

Thanks!

They edit almost every tile because they not only add, but replace old tiles such as grass, water, pokecenter, mart, gyms, rocks, etc. You should try doing this with as many tiles as possible, only adding the types of tiles that were not at all in the game (new type of building or something). It will look messed up for sure at first, that's normal.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    They edit almost every tile because they not only add, but replace old tiles such as grass, water, pokecenter, mart, gyms, rocks, etc. You should try doing this with as many tiles as possible, only adding the types of tiles that were not at all in the game (new type of building or something). It will look messed up for sure at first, that's normal.

Adding onto this, if you're inserting whole buildings, that's often inefficient as many buildings use the same tiles just mirrored or repeated (think like a blank wall, it is all one 8x8 pixel tile just reused again and again), so it's also a fine art of adding "unique" tiles to make a full item.

Hajima

Manga Artist 101
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2016
    But it's pretty hard to tell which tiles is which and what palette it uses. Is there any way to make it easier? :)

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Nope, you get used to it after a while, it's just learning through doing. There is a general one for pallettes but it has been a while since I did any work on them myself to remember which pallette is which. Experiment! Go crazy!

Sniper

ふゆかい
    Years
  • But it's pretty hard to tell which tiles is which and what palette it uses. Is there any way to make it easier? :)

It's not hard to tell since there are helpful tools to tell which tiles that has those specific palettes such as the block editor. All you need is time. It's not hard, it's just time consuming. You'll get used to it once you get good results, mate.

Back