• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Design Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
Good point, but in the grand scheme of things, the work load of spriting is not an issue, I'll dedicate time to what is the best.

Also, this wasn't directed for my kit, but for my game - progress has been halted because of a drastic lack of tiles, like a lot...
That and I feel like working on my game first :P

Ah, if it is for your game, just go with what you want to make.
You should still be wary of piling up lots of sprite-work, though.
The less "unneccesary stuff" you need to do, the more time you can spend actually MAKING the game.

Tek

Years
I've been debating the style of backsprites to use for the longest time now, and finally decided to ask the public (perhaps this would be better as a thread, but for rght now, I only care for myself xP)

So, here are the 2 types I've debated for a while:
Gen 5 style, which is a mirror of the front sprite, but x2 the size
Gen 4 style, which is a close up, but the same dimensions as the front

It may sound unorthodox to have a gen 5 style in the Essentials default style, but here's an example of each:

test_zpsa72c00d6.png

On the one hand, I would keep true to the Gen 5 style, but I can't help but feeling it looks a bit wonky. While on the other I hate the look of most Gen 4 style pokemon, so I would work on my own. What do you guys think?

I find it a bit jarring to have a pixely back sprite in the same screen as a cleaner front sprite. It's made a bit more jarring by having the two different screens side by side, but I imagine it would still be noticeable otherwise. My personal preference: keep it consistent for a professional appearance.

I have a question, its been a problem that has been bothering me for a while, its regarding the types. I wanted to introduce a new type, Sound, along with fairy type to buff underused types, mainly ice and bug types and nerf types that are much deserving of it, like steel, electric, and ghost, although im planning on keeping all steel resistances before gen 6, resisting dark and ghost again. And also give water the weakness of poison. So here is the basic logistics of what I want to change:

SOUND: WEAK TO- BUG, FLYING, ICE
RESIST- SOUND, GHOST, STEEL, ELECTRIC(Most of them carry HP Ice anyways)
RESISTED BY- GRASS(needs a buff major), NORMAL, BUG, ICE(They only resist Ice)
SUPEREFFECTIVE AGAINST- ELECTRIC, STEEL, GHOST
WATER: NOW WEAK TO POISON
ROCK: NOW RESIST ROCK
ICE: NOW RESIST SOUND
BUG: RESIST PSYCHIC AND SOUND
GHOST: WEAK TO SOUND

My question is, will there be any pokemon that will become too op? And is this an appropiate debuff and buff to the types. I havent done any statistics on what becomes what but what i do know is that the following pokemon will become sound:
(I think i mispelled most of these)
Meloetta
Krickitune
Krickitot
Chimeco
Exploud
Loudred
Whismur
(Maybe Snorlax part sound changed to normal/sound)
Noivern and its preevo
Milotic(If what i believe is true conserning if its based off of "sirens" who lures sailors with her voice, guessing not)
If there is any i missed, tell me plz

That's a neat idea! I would suggest either Sound typing or sound-type moves for Vibrava and Flygon.

It seems a bit odd to have Water be weak to Poison, but it does give Poison a needed boost, and I don't have any better suggestions for accomplishing that.

I think you've done a good job giving Bug-types an edge, which is nice since so many of them are underpowered. Might want to do some testing to make sure Heracross hasn't become too overpowered. I would take a look at the move Megahorn as well, since it's also learned by several non-Bug-type Pokemon.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jun 24, 2016
Hey everyone, for my next project, I feel like basing my story on one or two specific unique legendary or super special Pokemon. In my game, I'm going to up the stats and attributes of that Pokemon, and make it the center of attention in my game. I was thinking about implimenting Zoroark, and its dark powers combined with light and divine powers of Arceus could of created all of pokemon and humanity. How does that sound. Is it already used? Or do you guys have a different suggestion? Thanks.

The m

???
Years
I have a question, its been a problem that has been bothering me for a while, its regarding the types. I wanted to introduce a new type, Sound, along with fairy type to buff underused types, mainly ice and bug types and nerf types that are much deserving of it, like steel, electric, and ghost, although im planning on keeping all steel resistances before gen 6, resisting dark and ghost again. And also give water the weakness of poison. So here is the basic logistics of what I want to change:

SOUND: WEAK TO- BUG, FLYING, ICE
RESIST- SOUND, GHOST, STEEL, ELECTRIC(Most of them carry HP Ice anyways)
RESISTED BY- GRASS(needs a buff major), NORMAL, BUG, ICE(They only resist Ice)
SUPEREFFECTIVE AGAINST- ELECTRIC, STEEL, GHOST
WATER: NOW WEAK TO POISON
ROCK: NOW RESIST ROCK
ICE: NOW RESIST SOUND
BUG: RESIST PSYCHIC AND SOUND
GHOST: WEAK TO SOUND

My question is, will there be any pokemon that will become too op? And is this an appropiate debuff and buff to the types. I havent done any statistics on what becomes what but what i do know is that the following pokemon will become sound:
(I think i mispelled most of these)
Meloetta
Krickitune
Krickitot
Chimeco
Exploud
Loudred
Whismur
(Maybe Snorlax part sound changed to normal/sound)
Noivern and its preevo
Milotic(If what i believe is true conserning if its based off of "sirens" who lures sailors with her voice, guessing not)
If there is any i missed, tell me plz

Sound type can be weak to Poison as when a person is ill or not so well he cannot scream very loud or something.

Also I say that psychic type can also be weak against sound as, screaming loud or music can disrupt focus.

BTW you missed chattot.

Minokun

The Rival in Space
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2019
Map suggestions?

I seem to be having trouble with making maps and things... I know how to make them, I just want some tips and suggestions for making them look... "Interesting" Any cool thing I could add to Routes or Towns to make them look more "eye popping", ya know?

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
If you're concerned that your maps aren't really "popping," try opening up a paint program, and using one pixel as a tile, then drawing the map based on that doodle - don't let yourself rely solely on straight lines in your map. You'd be surprised how much detail and interesting paths you can eke out of the one pixel = one tile map.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
Sound type can be weak to Poison as when a person is ill or not so well he cannot scream very loud or something.

Also I say that psychic type can also be weak against sound as, screaming loud or music can disrupt focus.

BTW you missed chattot.

The only problem with that is giving sound a major buff over alot of types, and in a sense become overpowered, especially if it can kill psychic, when it can take electric, ghost, and steel. If im correct, only flying and ice(which has alot of weaknesses) would be a type that can take out more than 3 types(grass, fighting, bug, and sound), but since its dual typings, give it multiple weaknesses, like fire/flying, water/flying, and dragon/flying, it gives it a
a quad weakness, it balances itself out. Thanks for the ideas though, its something to be thought through.

tImE

Years
The only problem with that is giving sound a major buff over alot of types, and in a sense become overpowered, especially if it can kill psychic, when it can take electric, ghost, and steel. If im correct, only flying and ice(which has alot of weaknesses) would be a type that can take out more than 3 types(grass, fighting, bug, and sound), but since its dual typings, give it multiple weaknesses, like fire/flying, water/flying, and dragon/flying, it gives it a
a quad weakness, it balances itself out. Thanks for the ideas though, its something to be thought through.

IMO, unless you're making an online simulator, you shouldn't focus too much on "balance".

In single-player campaigns, a type being overpowered isn't really as relevant, since you can always counter it by giving the enemy lots of Pokémon that counter Sound-types, in this example.

I really think having types that MAKES SENSE is better in a singleplayer experience, rather than competitive balance. Especially since a lot of players don't even bother/know about the competitive balance.

DJTiki

Years
IMO, unless you're making an online simulator, you shouldn't focus too much on "balance".

In single-player campaigns, a type being overpowered isn't really as relevant, since you can always counter it by giving the enemy lots of Pokémon that counter Sound-types, in this example.

I really think having types that MAKES SENSE is better in a singleplayer experience, rather than competitive balance. Especially since a lot of players don't even bother/know about the competitive balance.

Well you do have a good point, cant argue there. Single-player campaigns are different from competitve battling. IMO, having one overpowered type that anyone can fallback on, and make the game a whole lot easier(ex. Gen1 Psychic) kinda ruins the fun for me, especially since its an integral part of the game, to have counter-intuitive types, which were supposed to balance out each other. But u do have very good points, i guess its mainly based upon personal prefrence.

tImE

Years
Well you do have a good point, cant argue there. Single-player campaigns are different from competitve battling. IMO, having one overpowered type that anyone can fallback on, and make the game a whole lot easier(ex. Gen1 Psychic) kinda ruins the fun for me, especially since its an integral part of the game, to have counter-intuitive types, which were supposed to balance out each other. But u do have very good points, i guess its mainly based upon personal prefrence.

Well, of course you should still do your best to balance the type, but I'm just saying, it's not really necessary to do it in such a tedious way as type-effectiveness.
You can do it by adjusting the affected Pokémons base stats, or the stats of the moves, instead, which is a lot easier.

The point I'm trying to make, though, is that I prefer things to be intuitive.
Fairy being weak to Steel and Poison, but strong against Dragon makes NO sense, which is why I still have trouble with Fairy's type-effectiveness. This was done for balance.
Fire, on the other hand, is strong against Grass and weak to Water and Ground. That makes perfect sense, because grass burns easily, but is extinguished by water or sand. This was done to be intuitive.

DJTiki

Years
Well, of course you should still do your best to balance the type, but I'm just saying, it's not really necessary to do it in such a tedious way as type-effectiveness.
You can do it by adjusting the affected Pokémons base stats, or the stats of the moves, instead, which is a lot easier.

Fairy being weak to Steel and Poison, but strong against Dragon makes NO sense, which is why I still have trouble with Fairy's type-effectiveness. This was done for balance.
Fire, on the other hand, is strong against Grass and weak to Water and Ground. That makes perfect sense, because grass burns easily, but is extinguished by water or sand. This was done to be intuitive.

Yeah, i get it, because in all honesty, i am baffled at why Bug is strong against both Psychic and Dark, and why like you said, Fairy is strong against Dragons. Maybe i'm the only guy who doesn't get it.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years

Actually, fairies, as written in literature, are generally fey tricksters. Simple brute force, such as attacks associated with Dragons, would be ineffective against fey since they'd bob and weave their way around such attacks almost playfully. On the other hand, in folklore, a fey's weakness is cold iron.

As for poison, I always assumed that was an association with industrial waste being hazardous to fey because it was unnatural? That one's a bit of a stretch.

tImE

Years
Actually, fairies, as written in literature, are generally fey tricksters. Simple brute force, such as attacks associated with Dragons, would be ineffective against fey since they'd bob and weave their way around such attacks almost playfully. On the other hand, in folklore, a fey's weakness is cold iron.

As for poison, I always assumed that was an association with industrial waste being hazardous to fey because it was unnatural? That one's a bit of a stretch.

Well, them being weak to Steel was the one who made most sense to me. (Technology and Science taking over Faith and Superstition) So, I guess that works.

The "trickster countering brute-forcing dragons" is quite a stretch, though, IMO. Brute force feels better suited to Fighting-types or Normal-types, rather than Dragon-type.
Dragons are mythological and magical creatures. Not something I assosciate with "brute force". (Chinese dragons were rarely violent at all. They were intelligent magic beasts which could bring good luck.)

DJTiki

Years
Well, them being weak to Steel was the one who made most sense to me. (Technology and Science taking over Faith and Superstition) So, I guess that works.

The "trickster countering brute-forcing dragons" is quite a stretch, though, IMO. Brute force feels better suited to Fighting-types or Normal-types, rather than Dragon-type.
Dragons are mythological and magical creatures. Not something I assosciate with "brute force". (Chinese dragons were rarely violent at all. They were intelligent magic beasts which could bring good luck.)

I'd like to see it as elves slaying dragons, in some folk lore. Maybe there's another type coming in 7th gen maybe, that can round off the mythological types(Dragon, Fairy, ?), as they did with the supernatural types(Psychic, Ghost, Dark). And the starter types(Fire, Water, Grass) and etc. Its such a stretch tho.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Firstly, I think the action icons are a bit poorly placed(Fight is above Pokemon but Bag is behind Run). Either space them better or make them overlap more consistently. Additionally, your placement of the shiny icon is somewhat tacky, and I'm assuming you simply didn't notice it when posting the screenshot.

Additionally, the inconsistency with the fight icon being all caps(which may be how you're showing it's highlighted?) seems somewhat jarring to me.

The m

???
Years
Firstly, I think the action icons are a bit poorly placed(Fight is above Pokemon but Bag is behind Run). Either space them better or make them overlap more consistently. Additionally, your placement of the shiny icon is somewhat tacky, and I'm assuming you simply didn't notice it when posting the screenshot.

Additionally, the inconsistency with the fight icon being all caps(which may be how you're showing it's highlighted?) seems somewhat jarring to me.

It works like this, when you select an Icon it overlaps the other.

Such as if I selected bag it would've overlapped Pokemon Icon.

The shiny icon is a mistake, I will fix it.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
It works like this, when you select an Icon it overlaps the other.

Such as if I selected bag it would've overlapped Pokemon Icon.

The shiny icon is a mistake, I will fix it.
I'd imagine that'd be more obvious in gameplay; thanks for clarifying!

That being said, you may want to consider the capitalization of Fight compared to the other options, if you don't intend for that to change with a choice being highlighted.

Overall, the interface is sleek and clean; I'm definitely a fan and am eager to see where you go with it.

DJTiki

Years
Im planning of adding a new feature to my game, known as Awakened Forms. These forms are Pokemon that have either changed stats, abilities, movepools, learnsets, or even types. For instance, an Awakened Arcanine, gets the Dragon typing, becoming Fire/Dragon. And also has some dragon type moves, as well as, Dragon Dance. Also, an Awakened Porygon-Z gets the ability Protean, and gets even more coverage moves, by leveling. These Pokemon are rarities that are found in Rustling Grass/Sand, and they have low catch rates, but are awesome to use. Ace Trainers and Veterans may even be found using some Awakened Pokemon, but these forms, are only found in final evolved Pokemon. Im still deciding whether this should replace any ideas for mega evolutions in my game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back