• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Hello everyone. I don't see my post in the hack rom section maybe it was deleted but i'm searching for a way to play as cynthia in pokemon heartgold https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k63nrEycXbQ< something like this with the only change Cynthia as N and pokemon heartgold instead of black 2. Thanks in advance.

P.S I have also a small wish of changing heartgold's bike theme music with the one from diamond since it's one of the best bike themes ever in my opinion

P.S 1 I would like some help to start (gather tools e.t.c) and i would like if it is possible with mugshots as well.

P.S 2 Nice to meet you everyone and always have fun <Always the best is for the last
    Quick Questions & Answers

Pm me for more info/help :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
    Years
    How would I go about adding in a 32x32 sprite to FireRed? One sort of like the legendary birds. I tried doing it through metapod23's tutorial but I'm fairly sure it did not work correctly.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2015
    I don't know if this has been asked. But I'm trying to figure out how to run the ips games on emulator. I tried using the lunar ips(lips) that came with some, but wasn't entirely sure what to do.

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
    Years
    I don't know if this has been asked. But I'm trying to figure out how to run the ips games on emulator. I tried using the lunar ips(lips) that came with some, but wasn't entirely sure what to do.

get a clean rom of the game (e.g. FireRed) then open lips, click "apply IPS patch", select the ips patch, then select your clean rom, and that's it :) (ps use google to find the rom)

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2015
    get a clean rom of the game (e.g. FireRed) then open lips, click "apply IPS patch", select the ips patch, then select your clean rom, and that's it :) (ps use google to find the rom)

I did that and it didn't work or gave me a white screen and didn't load /: Any other ideas??

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
    Years
    Is there a way to delete maps (like pallet town)
    You can, but you shouldn't ever do it. If you really want to, this tutorial shows how. Note that this is practically the only way and it will mess up the ROM badly if you do it too much (maybe even if you do it once, I've never tried it).
    You should recycle the available maps. Use AdvanceMap 1.95 to resize them and 1.92 to edit them. By the way, it should be safe to add new maps, just don't delete them.

P.S.: If you want to delete a map because you accidentally corrupted it, just rename a name to "Don't Touch" or "Corrupted", put it under that and don't use it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2018
    You can, but you shouldn't ever do it. If you really want to, this tutorial shows how. Note that this is practically the only way and it will mess up the ROM badly if you do it too much (maybe even if you do it once, I've never tried it).
    You should recycle the available maps. Use AdvanceMap 1.95 to resize them and 1.92 to edit them. By the way, it should be safe to add new maps, just don't delete them.

P.S.: If you want to delete a map because you accidentally corrupted it, just rename a name to "Don't Touch" or "Corrupted", put it under that and don't use it.

Isn't it a bit dangerous to resize maps whenever and however you feel like it? I'd assume that enlarging them would risk "overflowing" and overwriting the next map in the bank. Making them smaller? Not really important, since it isn't too hard to simply restrict the usable area to a much smaller portion of the map.

I've never had much luck with it in any case, unfortunately. Something ends up going poorly after a while. Then again I'm also using AM 1.95 to edit them for whatever that's worth.

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
    Years
    Isn't it a bit dangerous to resize maps whenever and however you feel like it? I'd assume that enlarging them would risk "overflowing" and overwriting the next map in the bank. Making them smaller? Not really important, since it isn't too hard to simply restrict the usable area to a much smaller portion of the map.

I've never had much luck with it in any case, unfortunately. Something ends up going poorly after a while. Then again I'm also using AM 1.95 to edit them for whatever that's worth.
    Actually, I'm almost 150% sure that AdvanceMap repoints maps when you resize them. It's just that 1.92 doesn't do it properly sometimes (when you reduce a map's size) and it corrupts it. AdvanceMap 1.95 always does it correctly (at least from the experience I have), but it's an unfinished and unstable beta which will slowly corrupt your ROM if you use it to edit everything.

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
    Years
    how to download hacks?

There are usually download links for the patches to a ROM hack in their respective thread in the "Hacks Studio" forum. Download those and use either LIPS (for .ips files) or NUPS (for .ups files) to patch to a clean ROM (which you'll have to find using Google) and use an emulator (like Visual Boy Advance) to play it. :)

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2018
    Actually, I'm almost 150% sure that AdvanceMap repoints maps when you resize them. It's just that 1.92 doesn't do it properly sometimes (when you reduce a map's size) and it corrupts it. AdvanceMap 1.95 always does it correctly (at least from the experience I have), but it's an unfinished and unstable beta which will slowly corrupt your ROM if you use it to edit everything.

Well then. Dammit. This might not end well...

I've been using 1.95 to edit everything. I, uh, wasn't exactly aware of that.

Good thing I make backups!

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2022
    Hi, I'm trying to use the Pokemon FireRed870 alpha rom for my hack. Unfortunately, I've run into an issue when trying to add a new type, Sound, to the chart ( using a program called Type Effectiveness Editor ). Whenever I try to save the type chart with the new type, I get an unhandled exception right after finding free space that says the index was outside the bounds of the array. Earlier this month, I remember successfully adding the type to the rom, as well as heavily modifying the other types, but now, whatever I do I get this error. Does anyone know why is this happening and if there's a workaround? Also, are there any other firered roms with an expanded pokedex that you'd recommend over the one I'm currently using?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Actually, I'm almost 150% sure that AdvanceMap repoints maps when you resize them. It's just that 1.92 doesn't do it properly sometimes (when you reduce a map's size) and it corrupts it.

This is true, but you can easily avoid that by...
    Spoiler:

...unchecking that. After that, A-Map will ask you to manually input an offset.

Cam

dum camel
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2022

Our hack has this odd bug where the shiny pokemon stars are black instead of being the correct color.

Not sure what caused this, but if anyone knows how to possibly fix it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen May 15, 2024

I applied JPAN's engine to a FireRed ROM and tried to insert the PC script from your room (the one that only lets you access your items). However, it seems like the script isn't terminating correctly for some reason. The script is
    Spoiler:

taken directly from vanilla. Any help?

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2016
    This is probably a stupid question. I'm making a map in Advance Map version 1.95 and I wanted to have snowy trees/snowy grass on one of my maps, so I fiddled around with the Block Editor and Palette Editor until the look was right. When I went to another map I discovered that I had changed the look of things on every map that used tile set 0. Needless to say it's ugly. What did I do wrong? Is it possible to edit the colors of tile set 0 only on one map without affecting the others and if it is possible, how do I do that? I've been watching crappy tutorials all day just trying to figure out how to use Palette and Block editor that don't even answer my basic questions. Here's a screenshot of two maps side by side. The one on the left is the way I wanted just that map to look, and you can see how it messed up the map next to it o.O https://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt133/JATom2/Ugh tiles_zpszi4fgy5b.jpg

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2015
    Could someone link a zip of everything I need to start hacking a gen III game? I've read the guides but there is always an error before I can even start when I try to follow them. Anything is appreciated :) (not picky about which game, also.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back