• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    so which one is more user friendly advance map or Pokemon essential, me being really new to hacking i was wondering which one is a good one to start with

If you're making a hack, A-map is your only option (at this time, people are making new mapping tools). Pokemon Essentials if for making Fan games and is a base for RPG Maker XP, meaning it doesn't really belong here in ROM Hacking.

Ayonn-

The Unbelivable
    Years
    Does anyone know how where to find the battle values in Hex editor concerning the pokemon switch in Hex Editor ?

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2017
    Anyone have a solution for me? XSE is returning bogus scripts. Using FSF I can identify that, in my clean ROM of Fire Red BPRE, 800000 is a valid free offset. However, upon going to that offset, XSE shows me this:
    Spoiler:

Further, if I use a removeall command to clear the offset, it returns the same thing. I'm at a loss, here.

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
    so which one is more user friendly advance map or Pokemon essential, me being really new to hacking i was wondering which one is a good one to start with

Essentials isn't ROM hacking, it's for RPG Maker(if I'm not mistaken). If you want to hack a GBA ROM(fire red, emerald), A-Map is your tool. If you want to make a Pokemon themed RPG, then Essentials is for you.

Neither is really that user friendly for newbies but I'm pretty sure(from limited experience) that RPG Maker is more user friendly than A-Map.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2021
    If I were to apply "MrDS Decap & Attack Rombase", "JPAN's FR Hacked Engine", "FR Hacked Engine Clean Patch" and "Touched's Mega and Primal Evolution" patch in one ROM. What would be its order to avoid bugs/glitches/errors? Thanks

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    If I were to apply "MrDS Decap & Attack Rombase", "JPAN's FR Hacked Engine", "FR Hacked Engine Clean Patch" and "Touched's Mega and Primal Evolution" patch in one ROM. What would be its order to avoid bugs/glitches/errors? Thanks

I believe the correct order would be:
    1. Engine Clean Patch
    2. Hacked Engien
    3. Decap & Attack
    4. Mega and Primal

Give it a try and make sure everything is working before you go and start any further work. Wouldn't want to do it and then find you did it wrong later down the line.

Ayonn-

The Unbelivable
    Years
    Hi everyone I need some HELP!
    No answered me but this is important... I'm new at scripting, and I tried to do some scripts but each time I compile them, and then reopen my script, they are erased and replaced by one/txo lines that I didn't write....What am I doing wrong ?
    Can you help me please ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
    Hi everyone I need some HELP!
    No answered me but this is important... I'm new at scripting, and I tried to do some scripts but each time I compile them, and then reopen my script, they are erased and replaced by one/txo lines that I didn't write....What am I doing wrong ?
    Can you help me please ?
    Are you using dynamic offsets?

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2022
    I'm hacking emerald and in my game, one of the NPCs lets you borrow their pokemon temporarily. I read through diego's wonderful XSE tutorial so I know how to have the NPC give you a pokemon, but I'm not sure how to remove that same pokemon when you're done borrowing it. Anybody know how to do this?

EDIT: Another unrelated thing I just thought of: for this hack, I also want to change the order of the pokedex. I don't need to expand the pokedex, just change the order that pokemon appear in it. Is there any way to do this that doesn't involve manually placing all the data for each pokemon into the spot I want? Thanks

EDIT: One more question! I'm toying with the idea of branching storylines in my game, determined by how the player responds to certain situations. In order to do that, I would need custom multi-choice message boxes. Diego's tutorial tells us how to implement multi-choice options that are already present in the game, but is there a way to make those multi-choices say whatever I want?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I'm hacking emerald and in my game, one of the NPCs lets you borrow their pokemon temporarily. I read through diego's wonderful XSE tutorial so I know how to have the NPC give you a pokemon, but I'm not sure how to remove that same pokemon when you're done borrowing it. Anybody know how to do this?

EDIT: Another unrelated thing I just thought of: for this hack, I also want to change the order of the pokedex. I don't need to expand the pokedex, just change the order that pokemon appear in it. Is there any way to do this that doesn't involve manually placing all the data for each pokemon into the spot I want? Thanks

EDIT: One more question! I'm toying with the idea of branching storylines in my game, determined by how the player responds to certain situations. In order to do that, I would need custom multi-choice message boxes. Diego's tutorial tells us how to implement multi-choice options that are already present in the game, but is there a way to make those multi-choices say whatever I want?

There's no handy way to remove a Pokémon in the base game. So, you should give the ASM in this thread to try:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=206138

As for the Pokédex, there is an array of half-words that link Pokémon species to Pokédex entries in the order of the Pokédex. To rearrange the Pokédex you must modify this list, then move the data around. In FireRed there's no easy way to change the Pokédex order, as editing the list without moving the data will modify the order but provide incorrect dex entries for Pokémon.

Finally, for multichoice boxes you can edit them by hand as detailed here:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=165939
    I believe there's a tool for this, but it's not that tough to do yourself.

Alternatively, you could give this link a try. It's a tad more advanced but will work well too:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8903237&postcount=692

_Evan

Learning to ROM Hack
    Years
    Is it possible to edit pre-existing scripts from FR/LG roms? I need to edit the script at 0x016691D which is for the Vermilion City sailor guy.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Is it possible to edit pre-existing scripts from FR/LG roms? I need to edit the script at 0x016691D which is for the Vermilion City sailor guy.

It is entirely possible but you will have to repoint any offsets you do change as commands often change the size of the script and will no longer fit in its original spot.

_Evan

Learning to ROM Hack
    Years
    It is entirely possible but you will have to repoint any offsets you do change as commands often change the size of the script and will no longer fit in its original spot.
    Great. Is there any specific program I should be using to do this?

_Evan

Learning to ROM Hack
    Years
    You would be using XSE and you would create Dynamic offsets for the changed scripts.
    Here's a tutorial for XSE, just in case.
    Oh... I've been messing with XSE trying to figure out how to do this for literally a full week, not realizing what the box labeled "offset" was for... Thanks for your help.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back