• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2018
    Hi I am having one question that how to make a door tileset and which is the best working day and night system ? And how to add over world as dummy mean extra overworld more than 151.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I tried looking but couldn't find an answer. I'm also pretty new, so this might be a stupid question.

What is a level script? There's all those tutorials and stuff, but what are they used to accomplish? I tried looking at them but don't go past the first part for lack of understanding what is trying to be accomplished.

A level script is a script that, depending on the type, runs at different stages of the map being loaded/entered. This can be used for a lot of different things. For example, the "setmaptile script"-type allows you to use the script command setmaptile to change the tiles of the map before the player can see them. The "Validates values, loads handler to 0x03000EB0"-type allows you to run a script (dialog, movements, etc.) given that a variable condition is met as soon as the player enters the map, before they can do anything else. Apart from these, other common uses of level scripts are setting the "map has been visited" worldmap flag and moving and changing the automatic behavior of OW events.

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2022
    Quick and probably nigh-unanswerable (Yes, this is a word now.) question since almost no one actually hacks Crystal.

Does someone know where the TM's are located in the Hex table of Crystal or how they're structured?

Sure, maybe there are tools to edit that, but I'm hacking Stadium 2, so I need to know how the TM's are structured so that I can find the offsets in Stadium to edit.

This is basically the last thing holding back my Stadium 2/Crystal hack, so I really could use some help. Just the structure is more than enough for me to find it.

Got it. Turns out the TM's are simply the moves taught in sequence. Smart stuff in terms of saving space.

Maybe if I could find a way to buff the Damage multipliers of the type-boosting items,
    (Like Magnet. I mean, 10% boost, really?)
    I'd be very grateful too, but I'd need an structure or Crystal offset so that I can actually take a crack at editing it.

If somehow someone found where the data decides whether or not a type is physical or special in crystal that would be pretty insane too.
    It'd save me the trouble of changing the Dark and Ghost types around, which I can easily do in Crystal, but not as easily on Stadium.

Thanks in advance, even though I'm pretty sure very few people will actually be able to help me because GSC is pretty much dead hack-wise.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2023
    Quick question

- If you start editing sprites and adding new once's, do you need to use new hex codes for em, locating them with free space finder

- How do i edit the starting point manually, because with JPAN's hacked engine, the tool to edit the starting point will not work anymore

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2015
    Hello everyone,
    for some reason, I can't make a new map or insert one to an already existing "map-space" (advance map). I made and inserted one before on this rom so I have no idea why there is suddenly a problem; I didn't really add or change a lot since thzn.
    I tried to add a new map in bank 1, but I got the message no free space could be found. However, I ended up with this:

I obviously don't need all those maps xD, but I don't know how to remove them. I also can't insert a map on these (or other existing maps), because, again, I get the message no-free-space-can-be found.

Also, just to find out if it would work, I tried to load a tileset (block editing) but that didn't work either.

I really have no idea what is going on and how to fix this. I can still add new scripts, events,... there is no free-space-issue when doing that.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
    Hello everyone,
    for some reason, I can't make a new map or insert one to an already existing "map-space" (advance map). I made and inserted one before on this rom so I have no idea why there is suddenly a problem; I didn't really add or change a lot since thzn.
    I tried to add a new map in bank 1, but I got the message no free space could be found. However, I ended up with this:

I obviously don't need all those maps xD, but I don't know how to remove them. I also can't insert a map on these (or other existing maps), because, again, I get the message no-free-space-can-be found.

Also, just to find out if it would work, I tried to load a tileset (block editing) but that didn't work either.

I really have no idea what is going on and how to fix this. I can still add new scripts, events,... there is no free-space-issue when doing that.

I'm going to assume you're on Emerald. A-Map tries to use 00 bytes as free space in Emerald (which is incorrect in the first place)
    Usually when it can't find any it just decides not to work. You can go into the settings ini and change the freespace byte (it should say "suchbyte") to FF since 0xFF is the correct free space the games use.

Quick question

- If you start editing sprites and adding new once's, do you need to use new hex codes for em, locating them with free space finder

- How do i edit the starting point manually, because with JPAN's hacked engine, the tool to edit the starting point will not work anymore

1: Yes, you need to put them into free space. You shouldn't just go overwriting everything in the game.
    2: In a hex editor, go to 0x054A08 for the X coordinate and go to 0x054A00 for the Y coordinate.

Last edited:

Polite Patamon

Diamond Tiara Super-fan
    Years
    Hi, I'm wanting to know how (if possible, and i'm pretty sure it is) to make the gender selection determine events of the game. Basically I'm making an Emerald rom hack and want Groudon to appear if the player chooses male, and Kyogre for female.

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2015
    I'm going to assume you're on Emerald. A-Map tries to use 00 bytes as free space in Emerald (which is incorrect in the first place)
    Usually when it can't find any it just decides not to work. You can go into the settings ini and change the freespace byte (it should say "suchbyte") to FF since 0xFF is the correct free space the games use.

Thanks!! I'm indeed on emerald, forgot to mention that :p

GoGoJJTech

Years
    Hi, I'm wanting to know how (if possible, and i'm pretty sure it is) to make the gender selection determine events of the game. Basically I'm making an Emerald rom hack and want Groudon to appear if the player chooses male, and Kyogre for female.

Basically, in your scripts, just have a bunch of "checkgender" to get the player's gender. It'll make sense once you learn to script (I can tell that you're new to hacking)

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2023

1: Yes, you need to put them into free space. You shouldn't just go overwriting everything in the game.
    2: In a hex editor, go to 0x054A08 for the X coordinate and go to 0x054A00 for the Y coordinate.

But i thought that the G3HS automatically adds new string for the list, only problem is that if you change the sprites images, some window pops op with a string that u have to choose

GoGoJJTech

Years
    But i thought that the G3HS automatically adds new string for the list, only problem is that if you change the sprites images, some window pops op with a string that u have to choose

"The G3HS" does choose offsets, but that doesn't have anything to do with A-Map's searching.

GoGoJJTech

Years
    Can somebody tell me how to change the level of the hatched eggs? I wanna set the level 1 instead of level 5.

From the PRPB log:
    Code:
    Changed the bytes at 0x1375B0 to 01
    Changed the bytes at 0x046CBE to 01
    Changed the bytes at 0x04623E to 01 {this and the last two are to change egg hatch lv to 1}

This is for FR, as you would have guessed. For Emerald, the answer is in the Quick Research & Development thread somewhere.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    I'm having trouble using the Big Block tool. I can select multiple tiles with Ctrl+R.Click but can't paste them using L.Click. It just uses whatever single tile I last L.Clicked. Any help would be appreciated as I'm eager to start making maps.

GoGoJJTech

Years
    I'm having trouble using the Big Block tool. I can select multiple tiles with Ctrl+R.Click but can't paste them using L.Click. It just uses whatever single tile I last L.Clicked. Any help would be appreciated as I'm eager to start making maps.

If you're talking about A-Map or Advance Map, you shouldn't be using 1.95 since it's a buggy, unfinished, beta tool. Go back and find 1.92.
    You can accomplish the same task of selecting multiple blocks by Ctrl+RightClicking, then by left clicking as normal.

Polite Patamon

Diamond Tiara Super-fan
    Years
    I'm having a couple issues with a Pokemon I added to my game.
    So I used GH3S to add a pokemon to my game. i gave it stats and sprites and made May use it for the first battle. It worked fine but it was too big, so I went back in GH3S to change the size, as well as add pokedex information. But everytime I add the info and click save, it doesn't really save it. I tried editing the Pokedex stats in YAPE, but it wouldn't let me do anything. I tried in PGE but I don't even know how/if i can get to my new Pokemon in PGE's dex editor.
    So what's the problem? I replaced one of the "?" Pokemon with my new one, if that matters.

And my other problem is with starter changing. I want to make my new Pokemon part of the starter trio for my game, so I tried using the R/S/E starter editor in PGE. When I tried testing it, everytime I clicked on Birch's bag the screen would just go black and freeze right there. I'm assuming this is because I used my new Pokemon for one of the starters. Should I not use PGE to edit the starting Pokemon? Should I use scripting to add it instead? ~_~

And another, unrelated question: How do I add/change a move to the game to have a new kind of second effect? I want to add a move that takes away half of the user's HP but boosts each stat in exchange.

I'm using Emerald btw.

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
    Years
    I'm having a couple issues with a Pokemon I added to my game.
    So I used GH3S to add a pokemon to my game. i gave it stats and sprites and made May use it for the first battle. It worked fine but it was too big, so I went back in GH3S to change the size, as well as add pokedex information. But everytime I add the info and click save, it doesn't really save it. I tried editing the Pokedex stats in YAPE, but it wouldn't let me do anything. I tried in PGE but I don't even know how/if i can get to my new Pokemon in PGE's dex editor.
    So what's the problem? I replaced one of the "?" Pokemon with my new one, if that matters.

And my other problem is with starter changing. I want to make my new Pokemon part of the starter trio for my game, so I tried using the R/S/E starter editor in PGE. When I tried testing it, everytime I clicked on Birch's bag the screen would just go black and freeze right there. I'm assuming this is because I used my new Pokemon for one of the starters. Should I not use PGE to edit the starting Pokemon? Should I use scripting to add it instead? ~_~

And another, unrelated question: How do I add/change a move to the game to have a new kind of second effect? I want to add a move that takes away half of the user's HP but boosts each stat in exchange.

I'm using Emerald btw.

1. the ? pokemon don't have their own pokedex entry therefor it can't be changed
    2. this may be something to do with the new sprites or birch's bag may have become corrupted
    3. not sure if possible, but it would probably require asm

StormGamer25

Yes, I liek mudkips. I may or may not secretly be
    Years
    • Seen Jul 21, 2021
    Ok, Im sorry if my question is stupid and I should be able to figure it out after reading the XSE and Advance map tutorials, but how do I change the script of an existing event? Whenever I click "open script" and change a few words AND save then close, and re-open it, the script reverts back to before i changed anything. Again, I apologize if im being a nuisance with a dumb question,,,

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back