• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
    Years
    Hm... Okay, I dunno. I'm not using that tool anymore after I switched to Gen3Tools made by Kurapika. :/

I just tried using G3T, and I still got the same error...

Alright, I also have a question about jpan's hacked Fire Red engine. Whenever I step on a script tile that has an event linked to it, even with "setvar 0xXXXX 0x1" it won't prevent the event from occurring again. It just loops itself continuously. I've never encountered this problem before.

Last edited:

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
    Alright, I think I got it to work now, as there are many empty slots in PGE. But whenever I click on one of the new moveslots, I get "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application ... Argument 'RecordNumber' is not a valid value." or "(my rom) cannot be accessed because it is being used by another process."

What should I do about this?

That's a mislabeled error. What's actually happening is that the data at the pointer is not in the expected format. One of your pointers are incorrect, recheck the ini.

I just tried using G3T, and I still got the same error...

Alright, I also have a question about jpan's hacked Fire Red engine. Whenever I step on a script tile that has an event linked to it, even with "setvar 0xXXXX 0x1" it won't prevent the event from occurring again. It just loops itself continuously. I've never encountered this problem before.

You could always just check the variable in your script manually, it makes no difference ultimately. Also make sure the variable you are using is non-temporary and not used by another routine in Jpan's engine.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2023
    Im playing a pokemon hack and i want to edit some abilities and stats for sum pokemon but I'm not sure how to do that.

I cant use any rom hacking tool because they cant read the patched rom

Ive looked into hex editing but the only tutorials I find are super complicated and go really in depth and i don't really have the time or will to sit down for hours learning every intricacy of hex editing

Anything I can do?

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
    Im playing a pokemon hack and i want to edit some abilities and stats for sum pokemon but I'm not sure how to do that.

I cant use any rom hacking tool because they cant read the patched rom

Ive looked into hex editing but the only tutorials I find are super complicated and go really in depth and i don't really have the time or will to sit down for hours learning every intricacy of hex editing

Anything I can do?

1) You don't want to use a hex editor
    2) Tools won't support

These two things together mean you cannot do anything. You will either need to modify the ini of most tools by finding appropriate offsets in a hex editor, or you will need to learn how to hex edit. It's definitely not hard, and very intuitive!

Years
    While exploring Emerald through Item Manager, I noticed that indexes E2 to FD are "blank":
    Spoiler:

Is it safe to use them to create new items for the game, or will doing so cause some undesired side-effects or bugs?

Years
    When I made a move in BSP, I replaced effect 57, the effect of Transform(I don't have Ditto/Mew in my game), and made a battle script. However, there's some odd effects when I use the move. I set Transform to a different name, gave it a base power, switched it from status to special, gave the chance of effecting the target with sleep, and there are still bugs. I can't hear the sound of the HP bar decreasing, as well as looking like the damage isn't really being calculated. Here's my battle script:
    Code:
    #dynamic 0x720000
    #freespacebyte 0xFF

#org @start
    attackcanceler
    accuracycheck 0x1D695E 0x0
    attackstring
    ppreduce
    calculatedamage
    setbyte 0x02023E85 0x1
    attackanimation
    waitanimation
    cmd5C 0x0
    waitstate
    datahpupdate 0x0
    graphicalhpupdate 0x0
    critmessage
    waitmessage 0x40
    resultmessage
    seteffectwithchancetarget
    goto 0x1D694E

Years
    I am stuck with Pokemon Fire Red; I want to open Fire Red with Advance Pokemon Sprite Editor and it says the LZ77 Data is not compressed! error. I launched the game, then save with VBA, and re-opened Fire Red in APSE; but the Pokemon are all Y or ??HEG?? and bunch of mixed up characters. And on top of that it says: "Invalid Pallette ID! Are you using the right Ini?"
    Need help please.

Years
    Sorry for throwing out yet another question, but this is a post that I don't think needs its own thread.

Does anyone have a copy of NSE [Classic] from this thread? The attachments on the OP haven't been re-uploaded since the server breach.

Syrex

[b][i][COLOR=black][font=Rock Salt][glow=green]Hen
    Years
    How does one go about adjusting the the Y axis when changing the starting point.
    SMCA only allows me to adjust the X axis.
    I just need to adjust it a few blocks :(

Edit: Problem solved, Sorry!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    When I made a move in BSP, I replaced effect 57, the effect of Transform(I don't have Ditto/Mew in my game), and made a battle script. However, there's some odd effects when I use the move. I set Transform to a different name, gave it a base power, switched it from status to special, gave the chance of effecting the target with sleep, and there are still bugs. I can't hear the sound of the HP bar decreasing, as well as looking like the damage isn't really being calculated. Here's my battle script:
    Code:
    #dynamic 0x720000
    #freespacebyte 0xFF

#org @start
    attackcanceler
    accuracycheck 0x1D695E 0x0
    attackstring
    ppreduce
    calculatedamage
    setbyte 0x02023E85 0x1
    attackanimation
    waitanimation
    cmd5C 0x0
    waitstate
    datahpupdate 0x0
    graphicalhpupdate 0x0
    critmessage
    waitmessage 0x40
    resultmessage
    seteffectwithchancetarget
    goto 0x1D694E

You shouldn't totally replace an old effect with a new one. You can branch similar effect, that way the AI can more or less handle it.

But here I think you choose the worst effect to replace, transform is hardcoded in several place.

IMO you should use a new effect (but the AI won't be able to handle it) or use a similar, like a move having a chance to paralyze maybe

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2017
    My ROM keeps freezing when entering an edited Viridian City. It's probably because of a map script, but I was wondering if someone could tell me what the default map script does on Viridian City so I know if I should delete. Here's the script:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    II have a question concerning item effects. (In a Fire Red patched with the MrDS ROM Base)

I made six rare EV increasing items that are supposed to max the EV of the Pokémon, however I tested it and it will still only give 100 EVs like the rest of the EV items. Is there any way to remove this limit?

And, is there a way to edit the number of Pokémon affected by Soul Dew? I put Mega Lati@s into the game, and I want them to be compatible with the Soul Dew (Although this would be pretty overpowered, they are indeed compatible in the main games, but this is because Megas are treated as forme changes in these games, while in expanded ROMs they are completely separate)

And...how would I ASM the Dawn Stone to affect only male Kirlia and female Snorunt? (I'm trying to make means to otherwise not have to create new evolution methods besides the move-specific ones, though I'm not sure how exactly to do that despite reading the tutorial.)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2017
    Quick Questions & Answers

I keep freezing here. I tried deleting the map script, but I am still freezing. It also happens when trying to leave Viridian City from the north, but it doesn't occur when entering Viridian from the south side. This started occuring after I removed the cut tree near the fences in the top left of Viridian. Any ideas why I keep freezing?

Last edited:

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
    Years
    Spoiler:

I keep freezing here. I tried deleting the map script, but I am still freezing. It also happens when trying to leave Viridian City from the north, but it doesn't occur when entering Viridian from the south side. This started occuring after I removed the cut tree near the fences in the top left of Viridian. Any ideas why I keep freezing?

could be a map connection error

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back