• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    I've got another question for anybody willing to answer.

I have a script that works just like the farfetch'd puzzle in GSC (you're basically chasing a pokemon through the forest and have to interact with it various times). Whenever I interact with the sprite and it moves off screen, however, it eventually just resets back to where it was originally placed (it doesn't stay where it moved to). How would I go about fixing this?

I set the sprite's flag within the script after the movement, but it still resets back to its original position.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • I've got another question for anybody willing to answer.

I have a script that works just like the farfetch'd puzzle in GSC (you're basically chasing a pokemon through the forest and have to interact with it various times). Whenever I interact with the sprite and it moves off screen, however, it eventually just resets back to where it was originally placed (it doesn't stay where it moved to). How would I go about fixing this?

I set the sprite's flag within the script after the movement, but it still resets back to its original position.

the NPC_states struct will refresh itself, if you move the sprite too far, it will delete itself from the "currently active" NPCs lists, and will load itself when it is near it's default position. If you're making it travel large distances, it may be better to just make a second sprite and "vanish" the first one using a temporary flag.

I suggest keeping the second OAM in the corner of the map, away from the player's view and using movesprite to move it into position. This will save you some flags :)

chestertagat

Dumbest Person in the World.
    Years
  • I'm sure you must all hate me by now, but I've almost got this sorted. So, I was adding Pokémon to MrDS' base (which I finally got working) and it was all going well - I managed to add everything up to Prinplup. While editing Prinplup, though, the program froze up, forcing me to end the process. Now, attempting to reopen it presents me with this:

Spoiler:

Frankly, I have no idea what this means (no surprises there), but it affects the loading of my backup, too - something that is completely untouched besides being changed from BPRE to MrDS. Any ideas?

Just Don't use G3hs' Pokemon Sprite EDitor when inserting new Sprites . Use Advance Series Instead .

chestertagat

Dumbest Person in the World.
    Years
  • Guys , Have a Quick question . How can i fix the Animation of the Status Problems on My Rom . For Ex. Poisoned Animation is supposed to be a Violet like Color that Wiggles. ) But Instead it is using the Animation of Scary Face . I've Repointed so many Things and i'm pretty sure that is the cause , But i'm Having Doubts because Other attacks Have Their Correct Animations . Only the Statuses and The Stat Rise and Stat Low Animation is Different If Anyone can Help me with these Prob .
    Thanks in Advance .

Last edited:
    Years
  • I've got another question for anybody willing to answer.

You don't need to bother with flags, you can just use the movesprite2 command after each applymovement to set the sprite's new default location.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    the NPC_states struct will refresh itself, if you move the sprite too far, it will delete itself from the "currently active" NPCs lists, and will load itself when it is near it's default position. If you're making it travel large distances, it may be better to just make a second sprite and "vanish" the first one using a temporary flag.

I suggest keeping the second OAM in the corner of the map, away from the player's view and using movesprite to move it into position. This will save you some flags :)
    Ah, that makes sense. I'll just go ahead and use that method instead then. Thanks again, FBI.

You don't need to bother with flags, you can just use the movesprite2 command after each applymovement to set the sprite's new default location.

That's what I was doing, but it still kept resetting back to its original position once the player moved too far away from it. Thanks, though.

Years
  • That's what I was doing, but it still kept resetting back to its original position once the player moved too far away from it. Thanks, though.
    Are you sure you were using movesprite2 rather than movesprite? Because I just tested it and the sprite stayed at its new position even if I moved very far away from it. If for some reason it really doesn't work for you though, it'd be best to go for FBI's approach.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2024
    I asked this earlier but it appears that now it is on the page before this one it has fallen into the dark. Thankfully along with that question I have more:
    1) Is there a blank Emerald patch (As in a patch that removes all scripts/events)?
    2) Using Emerald's usual choose your starter screen how do I change the Pokemon without using A-Starter (Because I am using the Emerald 650 patch and I cannot use Pokemon not from Hoenn?)
    3) Are there any good scripting tutorials/scripting help for Emerald(XSE)? (I know there are ones mainly Firered which I have read but for Emerald it is slightly different.)

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    Quick Questions & Answers

So this happened, and I have absolutely no idea why. It's also not playing past this screen.

Does anyone know how to fix this, on the off-chance it's happened to someone?

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
    Years
  • I asked this earlier but it appears that now it is on the page before this one it has fallen into the dark. Thankfully along with that question I have more:
    1) Is there a blank Emerald patch (As in a patch that removes all scripts/events)?
    2) Using Emerald's usual choose your starter screen how do I change the Pokemon without using A-Starter (Because I am using the Emerald 650 patch and I cannot use Pokemon not from Hoenn?)
    3) Are there any good scripting tutorials/scripting help for Emerald(XSE)? (I know there are ones mainly Firered which I have read but for Emerald it is slightly different.)

1) No because that is very time consuming and kinda pointless
    2) There're some offsets: Slot 1 is at 0x5B1DF8; Slot 2 is at 0x5B1DFA; Slot 3 is at 0x5B1DFC, just replace the bytes with the index number of your new pokemon in reverse hex
    3) FireRed and Emerald use the same scripting in xse, the only difference is specials and flags for which you can find HERE and HERE

Geodude6

It's just me.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2024
    In Fire Red is it possible to use larger sprites (specifically thinking of 80x80) or are you restricted to 64x64 sprites? If you can, how do you do this?

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • In Fire Red is it possible to use larger sprites (specifically thinking of 80x80) or are you restricted to 64x64 sprites? If you can, how do you do this?

The GBA's OAM (Object Attribute Memory [sprites]) can only be a maximum of 64x64 without scaling. This means it's a hardware limit and you are forever bound to it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2024
    EDIT: Something happened with the quote.... odd. Anyway-

Thanks for answering my last questions,

But now I have a couple more questions-
    First: Are there any good sprite editors for Emerald? Or is there a NSE Plugin available?

Second: I have seen some patches for Fire Red that add more Pokemon but they are either incomplete or broken... are there any patches for Fire Red that just add Gen 4 Pokemon?

Edit: For my third question I had here I went back and looked more to not find what I wanted. So instead I'll be making an Improved Fire Red (If that is even possible.) By making it so you can catch and evolve every Pokemon gens 1-3 without having to trade and what not. (Also if there is still a "broh" at the end of this sentence that isn't me.)

Last edited:

Sensual

This should be good.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2018
    Does anybody know the command that checks which direction an NPC is facing before activating a part of the script?

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
    Years
  • What is the correct way to script a Gym Trainer so they are not able to be battled after defeating the Gym Leader?

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    I made a new cave map and I cannot get escape rope to work. I set it up set like MT MOON.

Tailes

Nothing to see here
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2022
    What offset is the bag background in Firered?
    The image is at 0xE830CC and the palette is at 0xE83604. Both the male and female bag screens use the same palette, but different colours.

Does anybody know how to change Nidorino's cry in FR's intro?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back