• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • PH
    • Seen Aug 30, 2019
    Regions are just composed of maps linked together... There's nothing to it except creating more maps, at a basic level at least. There are however a multitude of problems you won't be able to surmount without advanced ASM knowledge, such as:
    1) Limited map names, you'd have to name most of your maps something generic like "Kanto Route" since I think you can have less than like 100 unique names
    2) Town map fits 4 regions max
    3) limited flying spots
    4) it's not just adding "fun" to the grind, you'll literally run out of levels for the player's pokemon to grow unless you dramatically slow growth rates which comes with other problems
    5) Probably a bunch of other stuff I'm overlooking

Not to mention it's a massive amount of work, If I were you I'd tone down my ambition and try to make a single region hack first to get a feel for how hard it is.

Thanks. I'll try following your opinion, trying to test lots of things here and there. But, I will not back down on creating a huge hack. Since i got stuffed up ideas on this, i think it's a waste not to pursue it.

I know how massive amount of work it is. I tried starting and yeah, this thing is pretty difficult. I'm just asking if it is actually possible through advanced skills. Seeing your statement, I think I've got the answers I need. I got all the backup I need just being here and I'll make myself a way if there isn't anymore. I don't plan to spend my whole time hacking rather it'll just be on my free time. It'll take more than a year doing it alone, since no one's interested to work with me and i don't mind it. Anyways, thanks for tending to my question sir. Good Day/Night.

Cataclyptic

Everything I say is a lie
    Years
  • This is a problem where the two maps do not share the same Tileset 2. You can avoid this by giving the game enough time to load the new tileset when entering a different map by making it have a border of around six tiles where only Tileset 1 tiles are used (i.e. move that bush), or make the maps share the same Tileset 2. You could also add gatehouses, but they're lame.

I see now. Thank you, I can fix that.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • In the move effect pointer table (located at 0x1D65A8 in vanilla FR v1.0), are most of the pointers to 0x1D6900 "replaceable?'
    I noticed, however, that a few of them were still used, for example, the 17th effect (not counting 0 as a pointer) leads to 0x1D6900 but is used by Swift, along with the High Critical hit (43rd effect) being used by Slash and Leaf Blade. I know that these effects work, too, as I've played the game myself...
    Or, should I just leave them alone and not touch the pointers that are located in the crowd, instead just using the pointers after expansion (the 214th effect through the 255th effect)?

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    In the move effect pointer table (located at 0x1D65A8 in vanilla FR v1.0), are most of the pointers to 0x1D6900 "replaceable?'
    I noticed, however, that a few of them were still used, for example, the 17th effect (not counting 0 as a pointer) leads to 0x1D6900 but is used by Swift, along with the High Critical hit (43rd effect) being used by Slash and Leaf Blade. I know that these effects work, too, as I've played the game myself...
    Or, should I just leave them alone and not touch the pointers that are located in the crowd, instead just using the pointers after expansion (the 214th effect through the 255th effect)?
    You should not do either of those. You should use literal move indices to branch off of similar existing effects so that the AI can at least half competently use the attacks with "new" effects. Look at the battlescripts in the move resources thread to see how it is typically done.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • You should not do either of those. You should use literal move indices to branch off of similar existing effects so that the AI can at least half competently use the attacks with "new" effects. Look at the battlescripts in the move resources thread to see how it is typically done.

I sort of get what you're telling me to do here (basically use similar move effects so that the AI knows what to do with it), but I guess I'm not getting the "how" part.
    Like, would the Pointer in the table be leading to a Battle Script which called the ASM Routine containing the large majority of the effect, then have a goto over to the similar battle script like the 2 examples that I've seen in the Move Resource Thread (Spherical Ice's Brine and Assurance)?
    Sorry for my inability to grasp what you're saying at the level that you're saying it...

EDIT: OOHHHHHH, so you mean that we should edit the existing similar effects and have it branch off if the move has such and such numbered index? That makes a lot more sense...
    Thanks much!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2021
    I've changed the grass tile on Emerald but the animation is still the previous one. Does anyone know how to change it?
    (I'd have to change also the pc animation and nurse animation in PkmnCenter)

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2016
    I'm interested in Pokemon hacking but how do I replace Pokemon in the Pokedex. Le'ts say there are some legendary Pokemon that don't want in my rom hack. Is there any way. I apologize if this question was already asked.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • I'm interested in Pokemon hacking but how do I replace Pokemon in the Pokedex. Le'ts say there are some legendary Pokemon that don't want in my rom hack. Is there any way. I apologize if this question was already asked.

As in eliminate the Pokémon entirely so that its data doesn't exist at all or just get it out of the PokéDex?
    For eliminating the Pokémon, you can just replace it (or, if you so please, literally eliminate it by turning it into freespace) using a tool for editing Pokémon data (G3HS, G3T, PGE, etc.).
    For eliminating its Dex Entry so as to make it an entry inaccessible by the game, this should be doable using PGE's PokéDex Editor and changing the number to anything higher than 386. This is mostly undesirable, however, because this requires redoing almost every single entry in order to have it be assigned to the correct Pokémon (or you can just leave a space, but that is aesthetically displeasing and would confuse many people).
    Also, keep in mind that you choose the Pokémon that appear in your game, meaning that you can just exclude it from gameplay entirely.

Now, for my own (and hopefully last for a while) question:

Thanks for answering my last question, by the way, azurile13!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2016
    As in eliminate the Pokémon entirely so that its data doesn't exist at all or just get it out of the PokéDex?
    For eliminating the Pokémon, you can just replace it (or, if you so please, literally eliminate it by turning it into freespace) using a tool for editing Pokémon data (G3HS, G3T, PGE, etc.).
    For eliminating its Dex Entry so as to make it an entry inaccessible by the game, this should be doable using PGE's PokéDex Editor and changing the number to anything higher than 386. This is mostly undesirable, however, because this requires redoing almost every single entry in order to have it be assigned to the correct Pokémon (or you can just leave a space, but that is aesthetically displeasing and would confuse many people).
    Also, keep in mind that you choose the Pokémon that appear in your game, meaning that you can just exclude it from gameplay entirely.

Thanks mate.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Hi guys I'm new to the hacking community so pardon me for not knowing how to go about doing things.

I want to use Mr Dollsteak's rombase to help me with my hacking. I patched it with a clean fire red rom 1.0 and i want to expand and edit pokemon moves and sprites and types. So open it with G3HS but there is an error. Well i know that there's the instructions on how to go about doing that but i just cant understand. The error is in the attachment. Thanks!

Attachments

• Quick Questions & Answers
      error.png
      43.7 KB · Views: 12

PokemonBen

Kanto Champion
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Hello,

Does anyone have a link on adding in more Pokemon into Advanced Map and Advanced Starter? Or a link to a program where I can add Wild Pokemon into grass from later generations.

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2015
    Trainer battle questions:

1. How can you make a battle where if you lose, you don't go to the pokemon center? IE gary's battle in Firered's opening.
    2. How can you insert a multi-battle as part of a script? I found this thread but the scripting portion is vague and confusing.
    3. Can you create multiple multi-battles? Would it require ASM?
    4. Can you create a double battle and/or multi battle where you don't go to the pokemon center on loss?

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • How can I get the value in stored in a variable to a giveitem script?
    like if i have setvar 0x8000 0x1
    giveitem [8000 var] 0x1 0x0

any ideas?

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2016

1. How can you make a battle where if you lose, you don't go to the pokemon center? IE gary's battle in Firered's opening.
    2. How can you insert a multi-battle as part of a script? I found this thread but the scripting portion is vague and confusing.
    4. Can you create a double battle and/or multi battle where you don't go to the pokemon center on loss?

1. I don't know, I plan on implementing this in my hack that I'm working on. I would suggest downloading pokemon dark rising 1, it has an event where the player has to lose to a LV 50 tornadus. Study it's script and you can get your answer there.

2. I don't know, it looks like multi-battle can only be done on emerald for the time being.

4. Same answer as #1

Good Luck.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024

I don't know about your other questions but for your first, you can use trainer battle 0x9. That's what the gary battle uses. You'll probably want to remove oak's tutorial, there are instructions here:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8182332&postcount=461

Years
  • I should have asked this a while ago with my previous question, but it didn't come to mind until now.

When using the limbo slots (the ?????? spaces in the rom) to add new items into Emerald, will the "Number of items" value have to be changed in the .ini files? Or are they included within that number?

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    I should have asked this a while ago with my previous question, but it didn't come to mind until now.

When using the limbo slots (the ?????? spaces in the rom) to add new items into Emerald, will the "Number of items" value have to be changed in the .ini files? Or are they included within that number?

They are included.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2021
    Hi, I'd need some kind of multichoice script to let the player choose his starter Pokèmon. Is there a way to do it with a common script or do I need ASM? Could you help me in any case?
    (I'm using Emerald 650 Rom Base)

Last edited:

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    Hi, I have an issue where after beating the elite four the player isn't warped to where I sethealing place in the champion room level script. It goes to the default players bedroom.

Is there another place the sethealingplace is made or is it built into the credits special?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back